Cylinder Head Cover Oil Leak

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
CapnJohn
Bike Model and Year: R1200RTW 2015
United States of America

Cylinder Head Cover Oil Leak

Post by CapnJohn »

[size=2px]Newbie Here!....[/size]
I have a 2015 R1200RT with 36K miles on it. A month ago, I noticed a small oil leak from my left side cylinder head cover. This bike has just been sitting in my garage in quite cold Wisconsin!
I need to fix this before the season starts again. Can I remove the head cover to check the gasket without draining the oil? I have another 2K miles before an oil change.
Should I have a replacement gasket on hand. These are pricey at around $90. I believe these gaskets can be reused repeatedly if not damaged?
I have head cover guards on the bike. This bike was tipped over on its left side more than a year ago with no leaking oil or damage with the exception of some minor scrapes to the cover guard.
I haven't inspected the bolts to the cylinder head/guard to see if they need to be tightened slightly?
See attached pics - any advice appreciated!
Attachments
IMG_0352 (2).jpg
IMG_0350 (2).jpg
60Aviator
Bike Model and Year: 2017 GSA & 2021 R1250RT
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 11 times
United States of America

Re: Cylinder Head Cover Oil Leak

Post by 60Aviator »

Yes you can remove the head cover and gasket without draining the oil. About 4oz or so stays in the heads. Gaskets can be reused if Ok so check head, cover and gasket first. Clean surfaces good before reassembly. Don't exceed torque on the bolts as it is pretty low (10 Nm) to begin with and they break easily. Good luck.
“I’d rather go down the river with seven studs than with a hundred poopheads” Charlie Beckwith
Doctor T
Bike Model and Year: 2007 R1200RT SE
Has liked: 909 times
Been liked: 239 times
Great Britain

Re: Cylinder Head Cover Oil Leak

Post by Doctor T »

I would suggest trying to re-torque the bolts first. You never know it may save hassle and money.
Trust me I am a retired Doctor and lecturer at Oxford University of Structural and Mechanical/Electrical engineering.