Lower cost driving light option

Got any questions about the BMW's R1200RT/R1250RT's onboard audio, Bluetooth or the Electrical system?
Beameroz

Lower cost driving light option

Post by Beameroz »

I have just fitted LED driving lights to my RT and believe my solution may be of help to other forum members. I should point out that before deciding on this solution, I looked at most of the options, HEX ezCAN, BMW kit, Denali kit etc but due to cost ruled out using any of them.
My solution is based on using a switch, relay and the following components. I have included approximate prices (Australian dollars - AUD) for comparison.
A pair of Stedi 10Watt LED driving lights (stedi.com.au) at $100 AUD per pair. These are very well made, aluminium body with CREE LEDs and come with mounting brackets and connectors.
Denali mounting brackets for R1200RT LC 2014 onwards at $200 AUD.
Relay and switch from EBAY at $30 AUD.
My approach was to pick up an ignition-switched supply to drive the relay which in turn powers the lights. To do this I used the right-hand auxiliary socket to supply the ignition switched supply to my toggle switch and drive the relay. Power for the LEDs came via the relays switched connectors, from the battery. I can send a PowerPoint schematic to any member directly if interested. Note the relay and wiring fits behind the right-hand side panels.
This is a simple solution without using CAN bus and has the benefit of being able to switch off the lights when required. Also, the auxiliary socket will switch off power a few minutes after the ignition is switched off so you cannot leave the lights on and run the battery flat.
Any home mechanic should be able to install so If you are interested and need further info, please let me know.
Attachments
Driving light switch.jpg
D lights side view.jpg
D Lights front view.jpg
Levisp

Re: Lower cost driving light option

Post by Levisp »

Thats a very elegant solution. Nice one.