New R1250RT 2021 Phone and Bluetooth

Looking for Aftermarket parts and Accessories for your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT or found something useful you want to share? Or just a general question?
Tourpeete

New R1250RT 2021 Phone and Bluetooth

Post by Tourpeete »

Hi,
Was wondering if someone can help me understand if it easy and safe to use it
I try to concentrate on the road while riding.
Is someone using the phone more often and can let me know the best way to do it
[size=78%]Thanks[/size]
[size=78%]Peete[/size]
michaelc2710
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 22 times
Great Britain

Re: New R1250RT 2021 Phone and Bluetooth

Post by michaelc2710 »

Hi. I have a Packtalk Bold intercom but I don't use the intercom buttons to answer or end calls.

If you have the connections set correctly from the phone to bike and intercom to bike you can use the wonder wheel to scroll through you contacts, etc.
When you have an incoming call it will show you up on the TFT screen and give you the option to answer or decline using the wonder wheel.

When chatting with other riders over comms, the chat will end and auto re-connect once the call has ended. (Packtalk does anyway)
I use my phone constantly for work and once it's setup its easy and you don't have to remove your hands from the handle bars.
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

This is just my opinion but I think if it is not necessary then the safest course of action is to keep phone calls to when you are off the bike having a coffee. We are so vulnerable that to ride safely you need ALL your attention on the road. Making phone calls hands free or not is distracting because it is a remote conversation that requires thought. This takes away a percentage of your ability to concentrate on the road similar to alcohol. There are those how will disagree and will argue that they can multitask but I think they are kidding themselves. If you don't believe me think about this. Have you been in your car having a deep conservation with your passenger. You are chatting away when you come to a busy complex junction. Suddenly a lot is happening. What happens to the conservation ? It stops ! Why ? because you need ALL your attention. Is it a problem ? No because your passenger can see what the issue is. This is not the same as having a remote chat on your phone where the person you are speaking to can not see what is happening. IMOP phones should be banned whist driving or riding. Sorry if this offends anyone and I am certainly not trying to be controversial but in attention on the road kills. This is a sensitive subject to me I recently made an emergency stop at a junction because a van driver went though it and did not see that I had the right of way. In fact he did not even see me ! He was on his phone.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

What does the Highway code currently say about using a mobile phone while driving or riding?

Rule 149: “You MUST exercise proper control of your vehicle at all times. You MUST NOT use a hand-held mobile phone, or similar device, when driving or when supervising a learner driver, except to call 999 or 112 in a genuine emergency when it is unsafe or impractical to stop. Never use a hand-held microphone when driving. Using hands-free equipment is also likely to distract your attention from the road. It is far safer not to use any telephone while you are driving or riding – find a safe place to stop first or use the voicemail facility and listen to messages later.
Last edited by David. on Fri Feb 18, 2022 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
BoB21
Has liked: 32 times
Been liked: 34 times
Great Britain

Post by BoB21 »

I do answer odd calls while riding but just zone out of the conversation when required and ask other person to repeat later when safe, same as when in a car, my wife hates my ability to succesfully do it regulary.
simbo
Bike Model and Year: RT 2011
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 96 times
Great Britain

Post by simbo »

BoB21 wrote: I do answer odd calls while riding but just zone out of the conversation when required and ask other person to repeat later when safe, same as when in a car, my wife hates my ability to succesfully do it regulary.

I never answer odd calls whilst riding, I do make quite a few though  :)
The GS 'is' the better bike :-)
paynes1
Bike Model and Year: 2022 R1250RT
Great Britain

Post by paynes1 »

I make it a rule never to answer/make calls when riding. I have a Packtalk Bold and the phone is set up with the TFT and will show me who is calling.
I can always stop and call the number back, my wife for example, will only call me when she knows I'm on the bike if it is VERY important.

Steve P
Doctor T
Bike Model and Year: 2007 R1200RT SE
Has liked: 878 times
Been liked: 230 times
Great Britain

Post by Doctor T »

I've only got an intercom for emergencies only. In that 3 years of having one ive never had anyone call me.(billy no mates) I know some people's lives are ruled by their phones, always looking at it or updating some social media group, why would anyone be interested that ive just had a dump or bought a Newspaper. I've just checked my phone and ive only made 4 calls and 1 TXT this month.
Trust me I am a retired Doctor and lecturer at Oxford University of Structural and Mechanical/Electrical engineering.