Bike trailer

Looking for Aftermarket parts and Accessories for your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT or found something useful you want to share? Or just a general question?
Doctor T
Bike Model and Year: 2007 R1200RT SE
Has liked: 878 times
Been liked: 230 times
Great Britain

Bike trailer

Post by Doctor T »

Not sure if this is the correct section to post this, so, please replace if needed.

Years ago i used to tow a small two wheeled trailer. I made it from a car roof box. Like the ones, you can buy from Halfords. I would like to do this again so i need some information on companies that make tow bars for bikes. Is there any company in the UK that can supply one?.

My old trailer looked like this.

Attachments
motorcycle-trailer.jpg
Trust me I am a retired Doctor and lecturer at Oxford University of Structural and Mechanical/Electrical engineering.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Re: Bike trailer

Post by David. »

A "Google" search hasn't thrown up any UK tow bar manufacturers, there are a couple in the US.

In the UK, found a custom made one but now sold, https://picclick.co.uk/A-Towing-Hitch-To-Fit-A-BMW-162794463260.html

Mono-trail, Single Wheel Motorcycle Trailer to tow behind your bike - Mono-Trail make trailers and attachments for towing but not a tow ball.

They invite feedback to develop new and existing products. Might be worth making contact with Mono-trail.

Last edited by David. on Sun Feb 27, 2022 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doctor T
Great Britain

Post by Doctor T »

Thought it may be harder to find a manufacturer in the UK. I've emailed a few in the US and await their reply
Trust me I am a retired Doctor and lecturer at Oxford University of Structural and Mechanical/Electrical engineering.
Our Gee
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2011
Been liked: 24 times
Great Britain

Post by Our Gee »

Are there any insurance implications to be considered.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Mono-trail offer this advice on trailer law and insurance, UK Single Wheel Motorcycle Trailer Law (mono-trail.co.uk)
Doctor T
Great Britain

Post by Doctor T »

Good find David. I've been scanning the web all day I've found 2 companies that import very lightweight trailer tents for motorbikes but no hitch suppliers.
I subjected the UK laws hadn't changed since my last trailer. I've emailed them regarding a hitch. Their trailers are a bit small for what i want and i prefer a 2 wheeled trailer.
Doctor T
Great Britain

Post by Doctor T »

Got a reply from Mono-Trail.
"Looking at your request, it appears that you just require a towing bracket!. Unfortunately due to insurance and product liability issues and plus the R&D costs involved with one off builds I am not looking at getting involved with just making brackets. Good luck with your quest and thanks again for contacting us.RH"

Seems strange as they show a RT on their website
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

This guy with an R1200R did his own R&D, Camper Hitch mockup | BMW R1200R Forum with a view to having something fabricated.

Last edited by David. on Mon Feb 28, 2022 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.