Right turn signal lights not working

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
Tom 2
Bike Model and Year: r1200rt 2011
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 1 time
Great Britain

Right turn signal lights not working

Post by Tom 2 »

Hi all
This is my first post.
(2011 r1200rt)Have owned this for about 4 months, the other day my right indicator started working on and off. Now has stopped completely.
Hazards work and left indicator works fine. Have taken connectors out of left switch unit and sprayed with wd40 still nothing.
Be grateful for any help
Thanks
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Re: Right turn signal lights not working

Post by David. »

Unfortunately, it looks like you are suffering with the dreaded well known problem of handlebar combination switch failures.

This thread is one example discussing such problems, BMW R1200RT / R1250RT forum - The BMW R1200RT/R1250RT forum
Sharkfighter wrote:My LHS was slightly loose and the left indicator would only work intermittently, hazards were fine. Took it to the dealer and the switch was worn and replaced under warranty, cost the dealer told me, was £350.
Sharkfighter
Bike Model and Year: 2013 1200RT
Been liked: 15 times
Great Britain

Post by Sharkfighter »

I have to agree with David, looks like a worn switch. My dealer, before he replaced it, did “fix it”. Don’t know what he did but worked for all of a couple of miles before it stopped working.

I fear the only way to resolve it is a replacement.
Tom 2
Great Britain

Post by Tom 2 »

Thanks guys for the straight up advice.
Took off the switch again to see if it was a bad contact (had my fingers crossed, no change) and to see if i could replace it, seems easy enough.
I rang Bmw at Alton to see if there was any chance that they would waiver a new switch. They said i would have to buy one £343.
Just hoping it is the switch. New serial No 61 31 8550037.
Will keep you update when i order one  and replace
Tom 2
Great Britain

Post by Tom 2 »

Hi
Just a quick update.
Switch arrived and fitted today. All works fine.
Just a little niggle though. The switch arrived with new plastic, but not the small piece that covers the cable where the cable enters.
Phoned dealers up, they said I should use the old one. I said for that money you can’t even supply a new bit of plastic to match the new switch. He said he would just order me one for free. Whoop. Just seems wrong