How to switch off low beam headlight on US bike

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Bemka

How to switch off low beam headlight on US bike

Post by Bemka »

Hi, I am new to the forum.
I have 2019 R1250RT US version and the main headlight is always on together with halo lights. I went to Europe and they have the option to switch off the low beam and leave the halo only...I guess my question is, is there a way to do the same on US version?
Thanks.
Maddog1929

Re: How to switch off low beam headlight on US bike

Post by Maddog1929 »

I have personally looked into doing this and I assume the process would be swapping your left hand control assembly and reprogramming the ecu to now recognize the extra button for turning on and off the low beams, or switching your bike into some sort of EU mode. I have not seen anyone on this forum or anywhere else attempt this mod before. Probably because it is a waste of money just to make yourself less visible on the road. I have not seen any EU style left hand control clusters for the RT on ebay and the BMW item index lists two model numbers for the part but makes no reference on which one is the EU version, or if the EU version is even for sale in the US. Honestly its more work than its worth, and thats assuming its even possible.
Last edited by Maddog1929 on Mon Mar 28, 2022 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bemka

Post by Bemka »

Thanks for info. Yes it definitely needs a new switch and ECU update/program, but I came across some posts, showing how to switch it off on older versions using a combination of turn signal switches, unfortunately it does not work on my 2019 RT. Wondering if someone knows how to do it on 2019 models...
Tche_Gradiente
Bike Model and Year: 2014 BMW R1200RT
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 2 times
United States of America

Post by Tche_Gradiente »

When i got my 2014 RT, it was preowned and i was the third owner... From what i've heard, first owner programmed with ESYS the new button and function... Basycally, when i pressed the fog light switch, my halo would go from 50% bright to 100%, but i had to manually turn the main Headlight after bike had the engine running by holding: Cancel turn signals for 5 seconds, then > Hold right turn signal for another 5 seconds.

This is how my button used to work, but after i took my bike to BMW dealership for a major service, they accidentally wiped that feature out when they updated the bike software... Dealership cant program this, only people who do coding with a software called ESYS...

If anyone is interest to buy the left handlebar switches, just search for "BMW 11-16 K1600GT/GTL Combination Switch Left (61318546313) - THis is exactly perfect fit for any RT from 2014 up to 2020 if i'm not wrong...
Attachments
Screen Shot 2023-02-26 at 4.44.03 AM.png
Screen Shot 2023-02-26 at 4.44.03 AM.png (607.99 KiB) Viewed 153 times