1200rt tyres like a cat

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
Oly

1200rt tyres like a cat

Post by Oly »

Just purchased a 2016 rt iconic
The tyres are the original ones and the rear is like a car tyre it’s so squared off.
So what the best now to replace with
They have 6k on these so about shot
Steve398
Bike Model and Year: R1200RTLC, 2018
Has liked: 261 times
Been liked: 217 times
Isle of Wight

Re: 1200rt tyres like a cat

Post by Steve398 »

Have a look at the forum section here - https://www.1200rt.com/viewforum.php?f=0.0.
Tyres are an individual choice, some suggesting “They’re black and round mate” to others that will only put the BMW recommended tyre at the date their bike was new to those that must have the latest rubber.
It also depends on the type of riding you’re doing, and whether you’re generally solo or 2-up. Personally I’ve gone for Michelin 5GT’s this time.
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

Yup agree with Steve398. What ever you go for just make sure you buy the version for heavier bikes. These have stiffer side walls and are designed for our bikes. So for Michelin go for the GT version as an example.
simbo
Bike Model and Year: RT 2011
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 96 times
Great Britain

Post by simbo »

I can highly recommend the Michelin Pilot Road 2's, I'm 6k miles into a pair riding in all conditions on my RT now and they're purr'forming (see what I did there) excellently! and at around £170 a purr (again) you can't go wrong. They don't have any of the 'GT' nonesense printed on the side because they were invented long before that little money spinning idea came along... Hey Ho, A fool and his money are easily parted.  ;D
The GS 'is' the better bike :-)
sakm
Administrator
Bike Model and Year: 2016 R1200RT
Has liked: 433 times
Been liked: 388 times
Great Britain

Post by sakm »

I have always liked the michelin road range of tyres and always used to swear by them

But I have some bridgestones on this RT and I am pretty impressed!

I can't say what the mileage is like as it came with them and wasn't new but I have covered 4k on them and they are fairing pretty well still
hammo
Bike Model and Year: 2019 1250rtle
Been liked: 20 times
Great Britain

Post by hammo »

Tyres are like mens shirts , mine could be perfect for me but not for you , how do you ride ? one or two up ? fast or slow ? how many miles do you ride every year ? i have only changed my tyres after around 8/9000 miles even then there is no worn places showing but they are at the legal limit , !!!! the list is endless . i was very happy with Road Pilot,s but the choice is yours good luck . 
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

If this thread goes on for long enough you will get recommendations for every main brand of tyre. Tyres are complex. They come in many different types from single, dual and triple compound rubber, tyres with stiffer sidewalls for heavier bikes, sticky tyres with flex in the side walls for track orientated bikes, speed rating etc....Just go for a main brand suitable for our type of bike. If BMW or the tyre manufacturer list as recommended then you really cannot go too far wrong. In the past I have tried Dunlop, Avon, Metzler, Continental and Michelin all were good. Michelin state there is no age limit to tyres that are unused and stored properly, so if you are after cheaper then an older version of a tyre is an option. The date of manufacture can be checked its stamped as a 4 number group on the sidewall. eg 1021 is 10th week of year 21.

If you are still unsure go for price check they are recommended,  job done.
emlevy
Bike Model and Year: 2015 R1200RT
Been liked: 2 times
United States of America

Post by emlevy »

This time of the year you’re bound to find cash-back deals and rebates from the big manufacturers, so this might inform your decision too.

There are probably no “bad” tires out there. Buy what you like and what fits your budget. If all else fails, follow BMW’s recommendations and don’t sweat it.

2015 R1200RT | 2012 R1200R Classic
B787MECH
Bike Model and Year: 2016 LC
Been liked: 1 time
Great Britain

Post by B787MECH »

simbo wrote: I can highly recommend the Michelin Pilot Road 2's, I'm 6k miles into a pair riding in all conditions on my RT now and they're purr'forming (see what I did there) excellently! and at around £170 a purr (again) you can't go wrong. They don't have any of the 'GT' nonesense printed on the side because they were invented long before that little money spinning idea came along... Hey Ho, A fool and his money are easily parted.  ;D
What a ridiculous statement. I personally wouldn’t use a tyre that wasn’t the correct spec for the bike i.e GT which refers to the strengthened sidewall and is certainly not “a money spinning idea”!!!
A fool spends his money on things that aren’t correct spec for his bike!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

Quite. I wasn't going to bite but well said. Maybe there was only one version of the Road 2 tyre but it's so old I cannot remember. What I do know is the two things you don't skimp on are tyres and brakes. However as a retired airline pilot maybe my assessment of risk is biased towards safety.
Last edited by Levisp on Mon Mar 28, 2022 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
simbo
Great Britain

Post by simbo »

B787MECH wrote: What a ridiculous statement. I personally wouldn’t use a tyre that wasn’t the correct spec for the bike i.e GT which refers to the strengthened sidewall and is certainly not “a money spinning idea”!!!
A fool spends his money on things that aren’t correct spec for his bike!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just look for the 73W on the side wall.
You'll be telling me the PR Trails are better off road next  ???  just keep following the flock.

Sent from my laptop keyboard using my fingertips because I'm not stupid enough to buy an IPhone.
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

Each to their own but no need for your unhelpful and inappropriate comments.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

I've got Michelin Pilot Road 2's on my Camhead. There rear original spec. should be version code "B" but now not available. Does this mean I should throw them away.

Unfortunately, they are now discontinued.

My next pair of tyres are likely to be Dunlop Roadsmart 2's.
Last edited by David. on Mon Mar 28, 2022 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

No David unless they have been on the bike for more than 10 years. Thats Michelin's advice. As I read it manufacturers make different versions of the same tyre recommended for different bikes. This is something that is quite recent. I'm guessing that manufacturing techniques have changed and they can do this now. I presume this is to maximise performance of their tyres. Skeptics would disagree. I know one thing for sure the tyres I run on now are a bloody sight better than they were 20 years ago.
simbo
Great Britain

Post by simbo »

Levisp wrote: Each to their own but no need for your unhelpful and inappropriate comments.

My original comment wasn't unhelpful, inappropriate or 'ridiculous', I was just stating what I believe to be true.. There was no need for you to state you're a retired airline pilot like it gives you some sort of superior knowledge on motorcycle tyre's, that's what there was no need for.