Seat Height Advice

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
mrklunk
Great Britain

Seat Height Advice

Post by mrklunk »

[size=13px]Hi folks,[/size]

I'm new! :)[size=13px][size=13px][size=13px]I've just put a deposit down (remotely) on a 2021 RT. The bike is fitted with a high seat which will be too tall for me at 5'8" (31" inseam). My GS was fine set at minimum suspension, I could nearly flat foot, but when I sat on an RT at the weekend, it felt higher (it was in the showroom and suspension may have been set high). It's a big beasty and I'm a bit nervous of maneuvering it, I have to reverse out of my garage, so want my feet planted. I'm aware some riders think the knee angle is a bit cramped.[/size][size=13px][size=13px][size=13px]But, I think I'll need to order either the standard seat (heated) or a low one. Any advice/experience? Not cheap so want to get it right. I'll sell the high seat that's fitted once the bike is delivered.[/size][size=13px][size=13px][size=13px]This is the bike:[/size][size=13px][size=13px][size=13px]https://www.autotrader.co.uk/bike-de...R1250RT&page=1[/size][size=13px][size=13px][color=rgb(51, 51, 51)][font=Verdana][size=13px]Look forward to your thoughts.[/size][size=13px][color=rgb(51, 51, 51)][font=Verdana][size=13px][color=rgb(51, 51, 51)][font=Verdana][size=13px]Cheers[/size]
Attachments
Screenshot 2022-03-28 at 17.19.47.png
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Re: Seat Height Advice

Post by David. »

These are the BMW seat height options.

mrklunk
Great Britain

Post by mrklunk »

Thanks David. With 31" inseam the low probably makes the most sense.
Glenn
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT LE 2018
Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 87 times
Great Britain

Post by Glenn »

If you have the width in your garage, a turntable is a great buy https://www.easyturn.co.uk/ My garage is 2.8m wide and the bike is 2.2m long.

sakm
Administrator
Bike Model and Year: 2016 R1200RT
Has liked: 450 times
Been liked: 392 times
Great Britain

Post by sakm »

31 inch inseam here too and the standard seat in the high position is just fine for me

In the low position its just too low

For reference I have a mate who was comfortable on mine with the standard seat in the low position and he has a 29 inch inseam

When you go back ask them to swap the seat for a standard one so you can try it out and then try it in the high and low position
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

sakm wrote: 31 inch inseam here too and the standard seat in the high position is just fine for me

In the low position its just too low

For reference I have a mate who was comfortable on mine with the standard seat in the low position and he has a 29 inch inseam

When you go back ask them to swap the seat for a standard one so you can try it out and then try it in the high and low position

Told him the same, he asked the same question on another forum. I am 5ft 8 and use the standard seat in the high position.
jackronner
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 9 times
United States of America

Post by jackronner »

You may first do what I did before I bought a low seat:  Just remove all the seat height adjustment hardware, including the bracket for the rubber adjuster posts.  Worked fine for me.  Tho' I'm over 5'10", my inseam's just over 32", and especially when the bike is loaded for a tour, it can be very tippy with any misstep, and difficult to back up (aggravated by the cylinders limiting leg movement forward).  I also removed the return spring on the front pegs so that they'll fold up out of the way when backing up.  I think BMW is unwise to not consider the inseam-challenged segment of the population.
emlevy
Bike Model and Year: 2015 R1200RT
Been liked: 2 times
United States of America

Post by emlevy »

They offered “factory-lowered” models for years but I don’t know if they still do. If not, likely there wasn’t sufficient demand for them. I have the opposite problem — at 6’6”, the seats are too low!
2015 R1200RT | 2012 R1200R Classic
scunny12
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: 1200RT LE 2015
Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 36 times
Great Britain

Post by scunny12 »

Just be aware that the low seat has minimal padding and is a plank. I am squirming about after an hours riding, but found the normal seat just that little bit too tall to be confident having feet firmly planted. 
jackronner
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 9 times
United States of America

Post by jackronner »

Scunny12,  I'm wondering if with a heavy touring load on the back seat, bags and trunk, whether the bike will sit as low as a low seat with a normal seat on?  The suspension doesn't automatically compensate for the extra weight does it?  I'll have to measure it next time I load up.  Haven't taken a long tour on the new seat, so haven't ass-essed the "plank" factor yet, but it's a one-piece, and the sides flare out to the sides, kind of like a horse saddle, more than the stock seats on my 2009.

GvG

Post by GvG »

I'm on my 3rd wethead RT, and now I have the high seat on the low setting (other 2 RT's normal seat on high setting),I'm 1.82cm and works perfect for me; easy both feet on the ground and much padding, very comfortable on long tours.

Normal seat high setting= 825mm (which leaves an ugly gap under the seat)
High seat low setting= 830mm so not much difference between those 2.

And I have the Wunderlich footpegloweringset mounted, gives a better knee angle, otherwise it would be to tight for my liking (but still no adventure knee angle  :( ).
Last edited by GvG on Tue Mar 29, 2022 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
mrklunk
Great Britain

Post by mrklunk »

Thanks, everyone for the feedback. A couple of guys are up to swap their standard seat for my high one so I'll go for that. I only started researching RT's last weekend and would normally test ridet. The sale has happened quickly due to finding a bargain. Cheers
scunny12
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: 1200RT LE 2015
Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 36 times
Great Britain

Post by scunny12 »

jackronner wrote:   You may first do what I did before I bought a low seat:  Just remove all the seat height adjustment hardware, including the bracket for the rubber adjuster posts.  Worked fine for me.  Tho' I'm over 5'10", my inseam's just over 32", and especially when the bike is loaded for a tour, it can be very tippy with any misstep, and difficult to back up (aggravated by the cylinders limiting leg movement forward).  I also removed the return spring on the front pegs so that they'll fold up out of the way when backing up.  I think BMW is unwise to not consider the inseam-challenged segment of the population.
When I first got my RT it came with the normal seat, standard panniers,49l BMW top case with rack on top. With my wet weather gear and other essentials on board it is quite heavy and for me just too tall. I miss the normal seat padding, but feel more confident holding the bike up and manoeuvring around with the "plank" low seat. I guess I have a long torso and short legs as I'm  5 10.