Anyone have experience with retrofitting a police rtp radio box on a regular RT

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Maddog1929

Anyone have experience with retrofitting a police rtp radio box on a regular RT

Post by Maddog1929 »

Note: This whole post is regarding the 2014+ generation of RT

Im looking to expand the luggage capacity of my 2018 RT just a bit but I personally hate the look of the traditional trunks available for the RT. However, Ive been looking at the radio box/trunks from the police line of RTs and I really like the way they look. They seem to be a straightforward swap save for the fact that the central locking module that unlocks the trunk directly replaces the radio module that sits under the passenger seat. (Possibly the reason why no RTPs have radios?) Although I cant use it anyway given that the regular RT doesn't seem to have the wiring harness plug for it. The trunk can still be opened manually by just routing the pull cable somewhere reachable. Anyway the only problem I think i might run into is that the radio module seems taller than the unlock mechanism so it may not fit under the metal base plate of the trunk. I only have images to go off of so I can only estimate.
I want to know though if anyone has attempted this before and could chime in some advice on their experiences. For all I know this could not be possible for some reason that I'm overlooking.

Doctor T
Bike Model and Year: 2007 R1200RT SE
Has liked: 878 times
Been liked: 230 times
Great Britain

Re: Anyone have experience with retrofitting a police rtp radio box on a regular RT

Post by Doctor T »

What ive seen on YT The rack and rear seat have to be removed. I also remember about different rear seat Tupperware. There are a few videos doing the opposite conversion. Think that may be your best bet on the correct info. Inside the radio box isn't that big, Lightweight over trousers and a packet of sand wedges will fill it.
Trust me I am a retired Doctor and lecturer at Oxford University of Structural and Mechanical/Electrical engineering.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Re: Anyone have experience with retrofitting a police rtp radio box on a regular RT

Post by Casbar »

Rear rack and grab handles are removed. There is a special plate that screws to the back of the bike. No rear seat, but a short bolster type cushion that fits behind riders seat. The radio hump then hinges onto the plate. If you go to Real OEM, think all the RTp bits are shown there.
Maddog1929

Post by Maddog1929 »

Casbar wrote: Rear rack and grab handles are removed. There is a special plate that screws to the back of the bike. No rear seat, but a short bolster type cushion that fits behind riders seat. The radio hump then hinges onto the plate. If you go to Real OEM, think all the RTp bits are shown there.
Yea I have a seller willing to sell me everything from the box to the mounting plates but I want to be sure that it will actually work before I do it. 
Doctor T wrote: What ive seen on YT The rack and rear seat have to be removed. I also remember about different rear seat Tupperware. There are a few videos doing the opposite conversion. Think that may be your best bet on the correct info. Inside the radio box isn't that big, Lightweight over trousers and a packet of sand wedges will fill it.
Yea rear seat and rack will have to go. The rear trim does not have to be removed on 2014+ bikes I believe.
Last edited by Maddog1929 on Sat Apr 09, 2022 1:16 am, edited 1 time in total.