Gearing up for my last best bike. Strongly considering the RT. What says you?

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Motovader

Gearing up for my last best bike. Strongly considering the RT. What says you?

Post by Motovader »

New to this forum  :vader:  looking for feedback and advise on my plan to jump into a long term relationship with an RT (not sure what generation/year). I am 57 and have a lifetime of motorcycling. I've owned many bikes over the years including an old /5 airhead back in the day (one of my favorites). That was the bike that sold me on boxers.

Now I am approaching the golden years, newly retired and looking for my last (maybe) best bike. I've always admired the RT as a multi-tool go everywhere bike. I've ridden one twice as a rental for several days at a stretch and loved it. I am familiar with the bikes' unique character and capabilities.

But ownership and the real cost of it, and maybe some of the negative stories I've heard over the years - has kept me at bay (considering the entry fee). I'm quite sure there are outliers in ownership like most motorcycles (although I've had great luck over the years with pretty much everything except my wifes bike :/ - story for another day).

I would really like to sell the DL650 I've been riding the last 7 years and pick up maybe a 2021 or 2022 RT. I am open to earlier models. Any feedback or thoughts you'd like to share I am all ears.

Thanks
MV

Last edited by Motovader on Fri Apr 08, 2022 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
emlevy
Bike Model and Year: 2015 R1200RT
Been liked: 2 times
United States of America

Re: Gearing up for my last best bike. Strongly considering the RT. What says you?

Post by emlevy »

Really depends on what you’re looking for. We’re not unlike — we have the same number of years riding experience and I bought my ‘15 RT at about your age as my “last bike.” I’ve had no issues with it and absolutely no regrets. It’s not my only bike, but for certain of my needs (one- or two-up, multi-day rides, two-lane highways and mountain passes (no interstates),it’s perfect. The best characteristics are its smooth, torquey engine, relative light weight, comprehensive weather protection, and agility / handling.

I prefer it over the K1600, the Gold Wing, the FJR, the C14, all Harley’s, and just about every other touring bike. I might be interested in a R1250GS but I’d have to put a bag over it and hide my face. That bike simply doesn’t speak to me.
Last edited by emlevy on Fri Apr 08, 2022 5:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
2015 R1200RT | 2012 R1200R Classic
Levisp

Re: Gearing up for my last best bike. Strongly considering the RT. What says you?

Post by Levisp »

"Gearing up for last great bike" then go for the latest model RT you can afford. All are good bikes but if this is your last it makes sense to go for as new as possible. I think everyone on this forum regardless of which RT they own will say they are great bikes and they are. Forget about the forum horror stories, you get that with every single manufacturer. If the bike is serviced properly and cared for there is no reason the RT is any less reliable than any other make. Heck the police use them. Need to say anymore.

As far as cost of ownership depends on where you live and if you intend to do dealer or own maintenance. Maintenance items such as valve clearance checks are easy to do on the boxer engines, take less labour time and so are cheaper than say a 4/6 inline engine or v2/4 engine. It is an easy bike to service. If you don't want to pay for main dealer prices find a good independent garage. Cost of ownership I think can be very reasonable. Also I believe BMW warranty is good but I have not needed them as my bike has been faultless.

If you want a touring bike then the RT won't disappoint.
sakm
Administrator
Bike Model and Year: 2016 R1200RT
Has liked: 450 times
Been liked: 392 times
Great Britain

Post by sakm »

You will always get more bad stories than good ones as people only post when they have a problem no one puts a post on to say how good the bikes are until asked to do so
Grumpy

Post by Grumpy »

The RT is a love/hate relationship for me. The engine and drive train I hate. The comfort for two up and some of the amenities, I love.
If I had been able to find a metric bike this light and comfortable with shaft drive, I think I would have gone another way.
I'm certainly no fan boy of BMW, but on the whole the RT works for me. I've had enough issues with it that tours are a bit nerve wracking.
Last edited by Grumpy on Sun Apr 10, 2022 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Never engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man.
Doctor T
Bike Model and Year: 2007 R1200RT SE
Has liked: 901 times
Been liked: 239 times
Great Britain

Post by Doctor T »

I've owned many BMW bikes over the years some i racked with mega milage. I used to be a London bike Courier on an R80RT IRC i sold that with 110000 miles on the clock. An oil change now and then, no real servicing at all and it never let me down. Apart from a Shaft UJ on a K75 ive never had anything serious go wrong on a BMW. These days i will only buy bikes that have a full manufacturer service history. Without that or with a sketchy service history i walk away.

Could you post where you are in the world?

Ps
Am a year older than you and don't class this as my golden years. I have planned some very long tours for the next 5 years.
Last edited by Doctor T on Fri Apr 08, 2022 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Trust me I am a retired Doctor and lecturer at Oxford University of Structural and Mechanical/Electrical engineering.
simbo
Bike Model and Year: RT 2011
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 98 times
Great Britain

Post by simbo »

Great bike the RT!.. I was very tempted with a new Triple Black one when my GS was in for service a couple of weeks back  :-*  Once back on the GS though, that thought soon went out of my mind  8)
The GS 'is' the better bike :-)
HerfinDave

Post by HerfinDave »

Have had 3 Goldwings, 2 Kawasaki Vulcan Nomads and now a Victory Vision, which I love. However, I test drove a 1250 RT at Daytona Bikefest last month and decided I had to have one. Comfortable, nimble and inspires confidence in the turns. Will go the full length of the Blue Ridge Parkway this Fall. The twistees are where this bike really shines
Randyjaco
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2017
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 38 times
United States of America

Post by Randyjaco »

I bought my 17 RT ("my last bike") six months ago at age 74.be It's a great bike but it does have its issues. If you do your own work, it's a miserable bike to work on. But probably not much worse than other newer bikes covered with tupperware. But just about anything that needs to be fixed requires removal of plastic. My bike has the Wunderlick high crash bars and they are a royal PITA to remove and instaul. My gas mileage is 40-42 MPG with US premium gas required. But except for the stock seat, it is a pretty luxurious ride  8)
dpickens

Post by dpickens »

Owned a number of bikes over the years, a few of which were BMWs. The R1250 RT is pretty much a wonderful bike. Much easier to maneuver around than the K1600 but also designed to eat up the miles.

Some people don't like the opposing twin vibration and prefer the smoother K bike or Goldwing. I recently toured on a Yamaha FRJ1300 which was nice and smooth but didn't have the same wind protection and all the features of the RT.

jackronner
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 9 times
United States of America

Post by jackronner »

A little creepy to know that your last bike will probably outlive you if it's a Beemer!  At 71, as my own retirement plan I'm considering buying  to leave in Europe between summer tours.  Maybe for the first time ever, I considered the factor of age:  Will I be able to pick it up by myself in six or seven years???  I think your other alternatives should "weigh" into your choice.
Doctor T
Great Britain

Post by Doctor T »

BMW has smoothed the engine over the years but still left the old boxer character. It's not like JMC super smooth inline-four and as for the handling even fully loaded there is no nasty niggles riding tight bends.
I road my last 07 around Europe for a 4-month tour. I gave it a small service before leaving, I covered 5000 miles problem free except i had to buy a new rear tyre as it had worn smooth. You put a pin in a map of Europe and East European counties and that tour covered everyone. It took snow, rain, and the baking sun in its stride. I did the same trip 2 years later on a 2010 Goldwing. Whilst a good bike the handling it was not suited to small twisty roads. On motorways, i don't think you can buy a better bike but while i found it a one-trick pony, the RT excelled everywhere.
Since 2021 ive been back on a 2007 RT and although ive had to do a lot of work to it(i knew the bike needed work before purchase and this was reflected in the price) But it's like riding an old friend again.
Well thats my ramblings over with.
Trust me I am a retired Doctor and lecturer at Oxford University of Structural and Mechanical/Electrical engineering.
Cruisincruzan
Been liked: 1 time
Virgin Islands (USA)

Post by Cruisincruzan »

I had an ‘06RT, then a ‘12 GTL, an ‘18 Grand America, will retire on May 7th and last year bought a ‘21 RT, as my retirement bike that I plan to keep for a long time. It’s good to be back on an RT.
Ute’s Chauffeur
Doctor T
Great Britain

Post by Doctor T »

love the Grand America.Shame it's way too heavy for me
MattyP
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2022
Great Britain

Post by MattyP »

Hi Motorvadar
[size=2px]
[/size]
[size=2px]I've just completed 180 miles on my new 22 Reg 1250RT - fabulous!  Once I'd figured out the connectivity between TFT and mobile phone (thanks to many colleagues on this forum for their help and insight)  I can't believe just how good it is.  Really nimble, great balance, terrific performance, comfort, safety features and all the bells and whistles.  I'm a few years older than you and the bike is so good I can see me riding for a few more years yet.[/size]

My only advise would be to make sure you understand that you may well need to buy a new mobile phone to install in the bike phone compartment as BMW have been cute in moving all the connectivity from the bike TFT and imports it from your mobile.  The phone is VERY integral to the functioning of many features including navigation.  Make sure you research this first so you don't make an expensive mistake (ie buying the wrong phone......like I did!)  Please get back to me if you decide to go for the bike if you are not too sure.

Go for it!

Matt