Even at 6'2" my seat seems very high

Looking for Aftermarket parts and Accessories for your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT or found something useful you want to share? Or just a general question?
potatan

Even at 6'2" my seat seems very high

Post by potatan »

Hi, I picked up my new to me RT over the weekend
The seat felt a bit low for my height of 6'2/ 189 cm

So I flipped the adjuster from Low to High and now I can only just reach the ground flat footed. I'm concerned that if I stop on a steepish camber I may misplace my footing and drop the bike, particularly 2 up with luggage.

Is there any kind of Medium setting? My old 1100rs had this I recall

I'm sure I've refitted the seat correctly, I went for a ride and everything felt fine but there seems to be a bit of a gap between seat and tank. Is this normal?

Thanks!

Sent from my GM1903 using Tapatalk

Attachments
IMG_20220410_115534.jpg
IMG_20220410_115540.jpg
IMG_20220410_115544.jpg
Levisp

Re: Even at 6'2" my seat seems very high

Post by Levisp »

As far as I am aware there are only two positions low/high. Here are two photos of my seat in high on a 2014 LC bike.

Attachments
IMG_0155.jpeg
IMG_0156.jpeg
jackronner
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 9 times
United States of America

Post by jackronner »

I believe that my Hexheads, 05 and 09, had three heights.  Maybe you could swap one in on your 2014?  I pulled out the whole apparatus to lower the seat a bit more, so I can't confirm the three heights vs. your two (and the manual pic and instruction:  "select your desire height" doesn't show how many heights).  From your photo, I think that the systems are quite different, and the attachment points to the frame of the cradle might not be compatible with your system.
jackronner
United States of America

Post by jackronner »

potatan,  Just checked my Haynes, and there's only the two heights.  The only thing I can think of would be to try and raise the rear of the seat.  With the adjustment bar in the low position,  place some rubber spacers on the lower rear seat frame brackets which seat the rear underside rubber seat supports.  To raise the front of the seat, on the front adjuster cradle, you might also be able to insert a larger diameter rod that would prevent the adjustment rod from seating in the lower cradle slot, thus raising the front height somewhere between the high and low cradle hook positions.  I think you'll still be able to mate the two halves of the seat on the rear mating tongues.  G'luck.
Last edited by jackronner on Mon Apr 11, 2022 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Viking John
Been liked: 1 time
Great Britain

Post by Viking John »

As far as I am aware all models of RT have only ever had two seat heights , however you can specify a low seat version or a factory lowered version when ordering.
All seat heights are a compromise but you could maybe have the seat re-profiled.

Also it depends whether you have long legs or a long back. I hope you get sorted.

potatan

Post by potatan »

Viking John wrote: As far as I am aware all models of RT have only ever had two seat heights , however you can specify a low seat version or a factory lowered version when ordering.
All seat heights are a compromise but you could maybe have the seat re-profiled.

Also it depends whether you have long legs or a long back. I hope you get sorted.
Thanks. I'm a 34" leg which doesn't seem particularly short for my height. I'll try a few weeks on both settings

Panman40
Has liked: 260 times
Been liked: 35 times
Great Britain

Post by Panman40 »

potatan wrote: Thanks. I'm a 34" leg which doesn't seem particularly short for my height. I'll try a few weeks on both settings

I’ve recently got a 1250rt to, I find the ground reach with the seat on low height perfect but it’s a tad cramped seat to peg dimension, with the seat on high I don’t feel 100% confident even though I’m 6 ft with a 32” inside leg. I’ve considered foot peg lowering kit but would rather not. Like you a mid position seat height woukd be ideal.
jackronner
United States of America

Post by jackronner »

I got a low seat.  If you get one, it might effectually give you the "medium" setting you're looking for.
potatan

Post by potatan »

jackronner wrote: I got a low seat.  If you get one, it might effectually give you the "medium" setting you're looking for.
Ahh good idea!

Steve398
Bike Model and Year: R1200RTLC, 2018
Has liked: 270 times
Been liked: 230 times
Isle of Wight

Post by Steve398 »

Panman40 wrote: I’ve recently got a 1250rt to, I find the ground reach with the seat on low height perfect but it’s a tad cramped seat to peg dimension, with the seat on high I don’t feel 100% confident even though I’m 6 ft with a 32” inside leg. I’ve considered foot peg lowering kit but would rather not. Like you a mid position seat height woukd be ideal.

5’11” with a 32” leg here too, and I can just get my feet flat on the ground on high setting but I have Sargent seats. 

FWIW I also have lowered rider footrests because I still found the seat position a bit cramped.

I think you can get replacement rubbers to make a ‘mid’ setting from China via Ebay?
Last edited by Steve398 on Tue Apr 26, 2022 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Panman40
Has liked: 260 times
Been liked: 35 times
Great Britain

Post by Panman40 »

Steve398 wrote:
5’11” with a 32” leg here too, and I can just get my feet flat on the ground on high setting but I have Sargent seats. 

FWIW I also have lowered rider footrests because I found the lower seat position a bit cramped.

I think you can get replacement rubbers to make a ‘mid’ setting from China via Ebay?
Thanks Steve, 👍
jackronner
United States of America

Post by jackronner »

Steve,  Given their exploding population,  I wouldn't rely on "replacement rubbers" from China!  They obviously are defective.
Steve398
Bike Model and Year: R1200RTLC, 2018
Has liked: 270 times
Been liked: 230 times
Isle of Wight

Post by Steve398 »

jackronner wrote: Steve,  Given their exploding population,  I wouldn't rely on "replacement rubbers" from China!  They obviously are defective.
:)) :))
emlevy
Bike Model and Year: 2015 R1200RT
Been liked: 2 times
United States of America

Post by emlevy »

6’6”, 36” inseam, factory high seat in low position with footpeg lowering kit on my ‘15. It’s Goldilocks!
2015 R1200RT | 2012 R1200R Classic