Unused electrical connector under left side fairing

Got any questions about the BMW's R1200RT/R1250RT's onboard audio, Bluetooth or the Electrical system?
timskloss

Unused electrical connector under left side fairing

Post by timskloss »

I just got my very first RT (2017) and joined this forum.  When I was replacing the air filter (yes, THAT was fun!) I noticed an unused electrical connector under the left side fairing, next to another connector anchor point which was unused.  This connector has 3 wires.

I plan to install fog lights and was wondering if this connector might be for auxiliary lights.  I searched the internet and this forum for info but couldn't find anything to describe this unused connector.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Re: Unused electrical connector under left side fairing

Post by David. »

timskloss wrote:Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Is this any help, BMW R1200RT / R1250RT forum - The BMW R1200RT/R1250RT forum
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

If left means left looking at the bike from the front, then the connector is probably the central locking plug for the right cubby hole, which is only fitted on bikes with the audio pack.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Left or right is usually determined from sitting on the bike looking forwards.

Last edited by David. on Tue Apr 12, 2022 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

David. wrote: Left or right is usually determined from sitting on the bike looking forwards.

Thanks for your insight, always appreciated. The photo is of no use, he has a LC Edit - Dr Google is correct I was too quick off the mark after the educational insight on right and left, that is indeed an LC) . Like I said there is a spare connection where the right glove box goes and there will be connectors for the aux lights on both sides, but the power to these plugs is controlled by the canbus and a switch on the bars, so not sure if they are live and can be used for other lights. I seem to remember they aux light leads need to be switched on to be active, probably a GS911 can do or Motoscan app.
Last edited by Casbar on Tue Apr 12, 2022 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

I might be mistaken but in the photo, that looks very much like a radiator on a 2014 (Wethead) bike.
Last edited by David. on Tue Apr 12, 2022 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

David. wrote: I might be mistaken but in the photo, that looks very much like a radiator on a 2014 (Wethead) bike.

You might be correct, I'll edit my response, above, but can't be bothered to get into a ping pong discussion with you, but do appreciate all the effort you put into googling for the forum
sakm
Administrator
Bike Model and Year: 2016 R1200RT
Has liked: 436 times
Been liked: 388 times
Great Britain

Post by sakm »

Its for the OEM fog lights
timskloss

Post by timskloss »

Thanks for all the help.  The photo nailed it--that's exactly the one I was describing.  If it is for the fog lights that would be curious as my bike does not have the button on the left handlebar.  So without the button this is pretty much useless?
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

timskloss wrote: Thanks for all the help.  The photo nailed it--that's exactly the one I was describing.  If it is for the fog lights that would be curious as my bike does not have the button on the left handlebar.  So without the button this is pretty much useless?

All the bikes looms are the same, apart from the radio prep loom. So to use those plugs you would need to be able to control via the canbus ans also enable in the canbus. If you can get hold of the BMW  aux lights, switch etc it would work. Otherwise you need some other way of getting power and a switch. One other option is buying a Cansmart or Hex ez can and controlling lights from that via the canbus. But not a cheap option
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

timskloss wrote:If it is for the fog lights that would be curious as my bike does not have the button on the left handlebar.
Have a look at this thread, BMW R1200RT / R1250RT forum - The BMW R1200RT/R1250RT forum see sakm's reply #4 and open attached pdf document.
Graham88
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Graham88 »

If you purchase the BMW auxilliary lights, you will get the brackets, two lamps, the handlebar switch and the loom segment that connect all three components to this connector. It is not enabled by default, BMW will enable it if you fit the lights yourself but I doubt they will oblige for any non OEM parts.

The opposite side has a similar connector for the central locking solenoid in the right hand cubby.

I have fitted both of these systems myself.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Graham88 wrote:The loom segment that connect all three components to this connector.
Does this mean that there is a Y lead supplied with the kit for the lights on both sides of the bike.
Graham88
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Graham88 »

David. wrote: Does this mean that there is a Y lead supplied with the kit for the lights on both sides of the bike.
Yes that is correct.

Attachments
bmw-complete-kit-of-additional-spotlights-headlights-led-nano-r1200rt-k52-2014-2018-r1250rt.png
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Graham88 wrote:Yes that is correct.
Thank you, so as you say, both lights are supplied with the Y lead from the LHS only.