DIY roadside kickstand spring removal/replacement

Got any tips and tricks for BMW R1200RT/R1250RT owners? feel free to share them here.
jackronner
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 9 times
United States of America

DIY roadside kickstand spring removal/replacement

Post by jackronner »

The spring just broke at the upper hooks on my 2009 RT. I bungied the stand up as a stop gap to contact the switch and get home.  I have another RT from which I cannibalized the spring.  Removing the upper hooks was a bitch.  Another "special tool" required.  No real advice from the dealer on how to get the hooks off the upper post except removing the switch and stand itself.  But I noted that, with the stand in the up position, the hooks presented a small gap off the seating post.  I stuck a pointed thinnish metal punch under them, then lowered the stand, and they popped off.

Fitting the "new" spring (I recommend traveling with a spare - ONLY $24) seemed impossible.  [size=78%]Pretty much have to connect the lower hook first then raise the stand to bring the upper ones closer to their post..  [/size][size=78%]There's no room to work or get leverage to get the upper hooks on the post.  So I took a long, broad flathead screwdriver and , pushing vertically from below, pushed the hooks above and alongside the post, then used another flathead screwdriver to push the hooks laterally onto the post.  Did you British Blokes hear my resounding "YESSS!!! Robert's me muvver's bruvver!" ?  [/size]
scunny12
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: 1200RT LE 2015
Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 31 times
Great Britain

Re: DIY roadside kickstand spring removal/replacement

Post by scunny12 »

Yeah man ,we got you. So Billy Bob's ma momma's bro too! ;) :))