Just ordered a Zumo XT, but the Adapters are out of stock

Looking for Aftermarket parts and Accessories for your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT or found something useful you want to share? Or just a general question?
sakm
Administrator
Bike Model and Year: 2016 R1200RT
Has liked: 436 times
Been liked: 388 times
Great Britain

Re: Just ordered a Zumo XT, but the Adapters are out of stock

Post by sakm »

Levisp wrote: Thanks Sakm. Not personally interested in the Garmin XT myself but always interested in seeing other peoples solutions.

Its a good solution although it came with its problems!
The mount as mentioned takes power from the nav mount and passes it though a step down as it takes 12v directly off the nav mount.
The standard step down adjusts the voltage to a little over 5v which is what the Zumo needs all good going and it worked flawlessly for the first month or so.

All of a sudden I started having an issue where when I started the bike it would cut the power but then not start charging again which resulted in the zumo switching off if you left it then it would just come back on and be charging so all was well! I contacted the seller and explained the issue and he said it was a fault with Garmin that they needed to fix which I thought was odd to be fair.

Then it started cutting the power while out on a tour! I figured out if I lowered the screen brightness all was well and it charged fine
I did some testing of my own and discovered that there was indeed 5.12v and charging at switch on then starting the bike the voltage would drop to around 4 volts which was not enough to charge the zumo
I bought some adjustable step down converters of my own and replaced the one in the mount with my own and adjusted the voltage to where I needed it fitted the mount to the bike and confirmed I had the same voltage with the bike running and the zumo on charging as what I set it at and all was well no issues since

I contacted the seller and let him know of my findings and I am led to believe he has fixed the issue now

Apart from that the rest of the mount is simple and works as you use your standard XT mount screwed to it but with the adaptors wiring/connector

If push comes to shove you can use the standard zumo cable it just means you can't remove the adaptor
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

Good to know that it is now fixed. Clever of you to diagnose and fix the problem. I have gone away from dedicated devices and use my iPhone with Scenic 3 for navigation. Works very well and is so easy to plan routes. I use https://www.nippynormans.com/gps-access ... usb-socket to power the phone. Charges to 100 % with app running and screen on full brightness. We have lots of options now.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Been impressed with the XT it is streets ahead of the Nav V and VI. Transferring routes from apps like my route app is wi fi and seamless no cables, so it works well.
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

Casbar wrote: Been impressed with the XT it is streets ahead of the Nav V and VI. Transferring routes from apps like my route app is wi fi and seamless no cables, so it works well.

Good to see the XT can get routes form a phone I am presuming via a GPX import into Garmin Drive App. I have used MyRoute Web planner and its better than Basecamp but the phone app is not so good for planning on the go. If you like to plan routes when away from your computer then I can highly recommend Scenic 3 as a planner and organiser even if you don't use its navigation capabilities. It has a good folder structure where you can organise routes etc. usual move, rename, edit and delete functions. But the power planner is a peach. Very easy to plan complicated routes on a small screen phone. Waypoint placement is very easy with intelligent placement. Once created the route can be saved and then shared or exported as a GPX. Here I'm guessing Garmin Drive will accept it but as I don't have a XT or the Drive app I cannot test this.

It is a paid app and only available on IOS platform.

Attachments
Scenic Planner.jpg