2013 RT nav options

Having problems with the BMW Navigator V VI or the TFT display?
Bendmac

2013 RT nav options

Post by Bendmac »

Greetings...

A friend of mine just picked up a very NICE 2013 RT...low miles and scrupulously maintained. He's coming off a Honda ST1300, so a bit different ride. (I have a '15 GS with Nav Prep and the wonder wheel, so while I know those controls, how they work and WHAT it controls, not sure how it applies to his new ride).

I ran the VIN for him; bike was manufactured in Dec 2012 and has equipment package 5, so ESA II, heated seat/grips, cruise, etc. No nav prep listed as either an option or installed. Does have the wonder wheel (which, for this model, I'm assuming, controls the radio and not much else?).

With the cockpit layout on this year/model RT, there is no built-in GPS unit (added in on 2014+ models). That said:

• Are there any GPS/nav options for this model year bike?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehdXWP4JhvI
  • That vid link is for Hornig for a 2013 RT; at about 0:16, it shows the cockpit and some sort of GPS unit. That cradle looks like the older 4-button side control unit...can that be retrofitted to this model/year bike?
  • If that won't work, is a WunderLINQ an option? (It appears from their site that while it will work, there is no wonder wheel control of an added nav unit...).
Sorry if I'm being "noobish" but again, my GS is different than his RT, so any advice other RT inmates can offer would be GREATLT appreciated!

Cheers,

Bendmac
Central Oregon, USA
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Re: 2013 RT nav options

Post by David. »

In the video, the GPS mount and 4-button cradle are both BMW parts, which as far as I know are still available.

I've got the BMW mount and a Zumo 660 cradle on my 2012 RT.

Bendmac

Post by Bendmac »

Thanks, David...

Does that require that you have the "nav prep" installed? By that, I mean any of the BMW wiring, etc. that integrates the wonder wheel to whatever nav unit you are using? Or is this "plug and play", as it were?

Bendmac
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

AFAIK, it's just "plug and play". The BMW 4-button cradle plugs into existing sockets on the wiring harness. Don't think there is any integration with the wonder wheel, hence the buttons on the mount.
Randyjaco
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2017
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 37 times
United States of America

Post by Randyjaco »

Forget the old BMW and Garmin technology. Get with the Garmin ZUMO XT. Far superior to anything else on the market. The best thing is that you can actually see the screen in direct sunlight. The XT is rich with new features. Check it out.
Attachments
20211211_161416.jpg
Last edited by Randyjaco on Tue Apr 19, 2022 2:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
bicyclenut
Bike Model and Year: 2010 R1200RT
United States of America

Post by bicyclenut »

I don't think Wonder Wheel integration with the NAV was available until the 2014 model year. The Wonder Wheel primarily controls the radio - channels, tracks, volume, etc. on 2010-2013 models. I could be wrong but I have a 2010 model and that is all it does on mine. I recall when I purchased it I thought it would as I already had a NAV 5, but after doing some research and trying all I could, it did not. There is a switched power source for the NAV down near steering tube. You can mount it to an available BMW above dash NAV mount using the NAV cradle. I have the NAV mount plus a dash shelf on mine (photo) but I've used a custom Tackform arm to place NAV closer. I also use a ZUMO XT on a mount near clutch reservoir. There are a number of mount options to place a GPS unit anywhere you feel works best for you around cockpit area and within view.
Attachments
IMG_20200301_212707_881.JPG
Bendmac

Post by Bendmac »

Perfect! Thanks for the responses and ideas, folks! I'll let my buddy know and let him take things from there...

Cheers,

Bendmac
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

As commented upon above, the BMW nav cradle restricts the choice of sat nav/GPS unit to those BMW (made by Garmin) units or a Garmin Zumo 660. I'm not aware of any others which will fit directly into the BMW cradle.

If your buddy has or chooses an alternative unit, there are plenty of other mounting options available. 12v power can easily be taken from the optional extras socket.
Sullivj
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Post by Sullivj »

I don't have the wonder wheel on my 2012, but do have the 4 button Nav cradle, with the BMW Nav 5.

The cradle buttons are useful, especially for easy zooming in.
bicyclenut
Bike Model and Year: 2010 R1200RT
United States of America

Post by bicyclenut »

Since almost all GPS mounts use a 4 bolt standard AMPS plate to mount, you can use many different options to mount a GPS at the location you desire. I'm using the BMW mount on the NAV 5 with the BMW above dash "bar" mount but I'm using an alternate Tackform mount similar to a RAM that allows the unit to be moved closer or side to side more easily so I can use other devices in this same location for viewing.
Attachments
IMG_9019.jpg