Zumo XT arrived yay! Oh... what fresh hell is this Basecamp software?

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
potatan

Zumo XT arrived yay! Oh... what fresh hell is this Basecamp software?

Post by potatan »

I want to like Basecamp but it seems pretty appalling in terms of design, functionality, interface and terminology. Trips/Routes/Tracks/Adventures/Waypoints/Places are just some of the terms I've come across so far, a lot of which seem interchangeable semantically but are clearly not.

The Garmin video tutorials are made using a prevous version and refer to functions that are not found where they should be, so that's not the best start to my learning.

I've worked in IT creating, supporting and delivering desktop applications for 40 years so I don't think this should be so difficult.

Are there any simplified instructions anywhere for total Basecamp noobs? I'm using version 4.7.4

Alternatively is there anything else that might be easier to understand and use, that works effectively with the Zumo XT ?
Sullivj
Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 28 times
Great Britain

Re: Zumo XT arrived yay! Oh... what fresh hell is this Basecamp software?

Post by Sullivj »

I feel your pain!  BOB21 of this forum is a Basecamp guru and was a great help to me when I first started using it.

His advice was to persevere with it, which I did.  I also followed a few Youtube tutorials which helped a lot.

I'm at the point where I'll use it if I have to, but I still don't like it.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 335 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Have a look at this thread, BMW R1200RT / R1250RT forum - The BMW R1200RT/R1250RT forum there is some helpful advice on using BaseCamp.
Fourbears
Been liked: 5 times
Great Britain

Post by Fourbears »

There is a dedicated Zumo  forum with a XT section https://www.zumouserforums.co.uk/viewforum.php?f=48 . That should help but I use MyRouteApp (MRA) to devise routes and get them on the XT. If you use an iPhone then you can send them wirelessly to the XT using the Garmin Drive app. I found Basecamp (BC) not exactly intuitive but MRA is simple and works.
BoB21
Has liked: 43 times
Been liked: 42 times
Great Britain

Post by BoB21 »

New England riders learn garmin basecamp. Best place to start. If not in America you can only follow so far but a great way to learn basics.After that utube. You cant break it so play around with it. Also bmw club uk has tutorial section.
Last edited by BoB21 on Thu Apr 21, 2022 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
potatan

Post by potatan »

Thanks - I saw a link elsewhere on the forum to the New England instructional PDF but it was a broken link, and the edited replacement link was also broken. Do you have one that works? Thanks again
potatan

Post by potatan »

Fourbears wrote: There is a dedicated Zumo  forum with a XT section https://www.zumouserforums.co.uk/viewforum.php?f=48 . That should help but I use MyRouteApp (MRA) to devise routes and get them on the XT. If you use an iPhone then you can send them wirelessly to the XT using the Garmin Drive app. I found Basecamp (BC) not exactly intuitive but MRA is simple and works.

This one? It looks really useful but all the at least the first two links are broken

https://www.zumouserforums.co.uk/viewto ... 757cb3eb1e
Fourbears
Been liked: 5 times
Great Britain

Post by Fourbears »

You have to be logged in to see them. So you will have to join but it is a very useful place.
potatan

Post by potatan »

David. wrote: Have a look at this thread, BMW R1200RT / R1250RT forum - The BMW R1200RT/R1250RT forum there is some helpful advice on using BaseCamp.

Thanks David I'll have a read!
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Old drum, but a lot of us use My Route App, routes transfer electronically via the Garmin app to the XT. Loads of info on the garmin forum. Plus if you are a member of UKGSER there is a lot of info around the XT and route planning on there
potatan

Post by potatan »

Fourbears wrote: You have to be logged in to see them. So you will have to join but it is a very useful place.

Thanks, reading it now
BoB21
Has liked: 43 times
Been liked: 42 times
Great Britain

Post by BoB21 »

Sorry im not good with tech so no link. Maybe thats why i like basecamp, no preconcieved ideas on how things should work lol. Im sure you can goggle New England riders learn garmin basecamp.
Worked for me. Basecamp is free and its easy to build database of routes. Ride magazine has lots of pdf routes to download in uk. Good luck.
P.s  portsmouth based love cotswolds.
Last edited by BoB21 on Thu Apr 21, 2022 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
simbo
Bike Model and Year: RT 2011
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 99 times
Great Britain

Post by simbo »

"what the fresh hell is basecamp".. It's the work of the devil! And you're better off deleting it and pretending it never existed. not use Tourstart.org  or  Myroute and save your sanity.
The GS 'is' the better bike :-)
burridge01
Bike Model and Year: Modified "16" R1200RT
Been liked: 194 times
Great Britain

Post by burridge01 »

simbo wrote: "what the fresh hell is basecamp".. It's the work of the devil! And you're better off deleting it and pretending it never existed. not use Tourstart.org  or  Myroute and save your sanity.
What simbo said with bells on it.Lob it in the bin and get yaself Tomtom 550 premium.Much better set up.
sakm
Administrator
Bike Model and Year: 2016 R1200RT
Has liked: 460 times
Been liked: 403 times
Great Britain

Post by sakm »

Fourbears wrote: There is a dedicated Zumo  forum with a XT section https://www.zumouserforums.co.uk/viewforum.php?f=48 . That should help but I use MyRouteApp (MRA) to devise routes and get them on the XT. If you use an iPhone then you can send them wirelessly to the XT using the Garmin Drive app. I found Basecamp (BC) not exactly intuitive but MRA is simple and works.

And a fantastic forum it is  8)

I also use MRA its far better for me and my needs