Phone Battery Life with GPS & Music

Having problems with the BMW Navigator V VI or the TFT display?
PGS

Phone Battery Life with GPS & Music

Post by PGS »

I took a ride on my 2021 RT yesterday. I was using the TFT/Phone navigation to follow a route and was streaming Pandora on the phone for music. My Pixel 6 (which normally has great battery life) does not fit in the phone compartment so I had it in a tank bag and plugged it into an external battery.

Everything worked great until the 200-mile mark when the phone battery died. So I'm wondering:
  • Would the built-in wireless charger work better?
  • Was the external battery even charging the phone while the connected app was in use?
  • Would music stored on the phone be much more efficient than streaming? (I suspect so)
  • What kind of battery experience are others having?

Thanks for any insights you can provide,
-Paul
michaelc2710
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 22 times
Great Britain

Re: Phone Battery Life with GPS & Music

Post by michaelc2710 »

Hi, I can confirm the wireless charger works great and also keeps the phone cool in the enclosure with the fan running.
krw

Post by krw »

The map mode seems to kill my battery the most.  I can tell it makes my phone hot if I leave it in my pocket.  I just let it connect and do it's thing and then end map mode.  My S22 does work with the wireless charger, but only with the case off, so I use a 6 inch right angle USB cable and plug it in.
PGS

Post by PGS »

Thanks for the helpful responses, guys!
krw wrote: My S22 does work with the wireless charger, but only with the case off, so I use a 6 inch right angle USB cable and plug it in.

krw, I am trading my Pixel 6 in for an S22 tomorrow - maybe I'll have better luck - and maybe I'll hard-wire it, so if you can tell me how the battery performance is with that set-up that will inform my decision. I'm actually hoping to find a minimal case that will work with the snazzy wireless charging. Or, remove the case on the relatively rare days that I want more than 4 hours of continuous GPS and music.

-Paul
krw

Post by krw »

Charging works great plugged in. I like that I don't have to take the case off and the charging is faster than even map mode drains it.
60Aviator
Bike Model and Year: 2017 GSA & 2021 R1250RT
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 11 times
United States of America

Post by 60Aviator »

michaelc2710 wrote: Hi, I can confirm the wireless charger works great and also keeps the phone cool in the enclosure with the fan running.

Not when it gets above about 90 degrees F outside. The phone will still overheat and shut off. Covered on some other forums.
“I’d rather go down the river with seven studs than with a hundred poopheads” Charlie Beckwith
simbo
Bike Model and Year: RT 2011
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 96 times
Great Britain

Post by simbo »

60Aviator wrote:
Not when it gets above about 90 degrees F outside. The phone will still overheat and shut off. Covered on some other forums.

Neither Michael or Davef1 had phone overheating problems at temps above 30 degrees C whilst in Spain last year.
The GS 'is' the better bike :-)
michaelc2710
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 22 times
Great Britain

Post by michaelc2710 »

In 7k miles of all temperatures the phone has never over heated or shut off.
PGS

Post by PGS »

krw wrote: My S22 does work with the wireless charger, but only with the case off, so I use a 6 inch right angle USB cable and plug it in.

krw, can you tell me where you got the cable? I'd like to get one.

-Paul
krw

Post by krw »

I got it on Amazon for less than $10.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B096V ... UTF8&psc=1
dpickens

Post by dpickens »

What's going on that your S22 doesn't charge? I thought it was one of the few phones that actually worked. {sigh}

Dave
krw

Post by krw »

I guess the case is just thick enough that it doesn't charge.  It does fit in the compartment with the case.
PGS

Post by PGS »

Thanks for the link krw.

dpickens wrote:What's going on that your S22 doesn't charge? I thought it was one of the few phones that actually worked.

I finally got my new S22 and took a ride. It was an 80-mile ride (1h 45m). I had the phone (in a case) in the special compartment and was listening to Sirius XM (via the phone) and following a route with map mode on. When I left home the phone had a 73% charge, when I got back it had a 72% charge. I need to try it on a day-long ride but this seems promising. Take heart, dpickens!