If it weren't for bad luck...

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Larry in ok
Bike Model and Year: 2022 R1250RT
United States of America

If it weren't for bad luck...

Post by Larry in ok »

Picked up the new RT on the 14th of April. Weather hasn't been real great so not as much riding as I'd like. On top of the lousy weather my grandkids shared their flu with us when they visited on Easter Sunday so I was down with the flu for a week and I was taking care of the wife even when I was getting better. So far I have managed to rack up a piddling 212 miles on my shiny new motorcycle. Two hundred and twelve miles.
This afternoon our weather was abso-freaking-lutely perfect for a nice relaxing ride, PERFECT I tell you.

Gear up roll the bike out of the shop every thing is awesome, life is good!
Hadn't much more than cleared the driveway when the TPMS gives me a low rear tire alert. Back to the shop I go.
Crap.

CRAP!
CRAP!!

212 miles. I think my previous record was about 1200 miles on my Harley Road King.
crap.

Some people are like Slinkys, not really good for much of anything but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
jackronner
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 9 times
United States of America

Re: If it weren't for bad luck...

Post by jackronner »

Well, After listening to you tale of 'Whoa!',  your consolation prize is that the terrible day I had paled in comparison to yours, so I feel a bit better!  Dealing with the IRS (Inland Revenue to you Brits) online all day just trying to prove my own existence (which I was beginning to doubt myself) and get an identity verification because some arsehole filed for a refund using my name.  I hope things start looking up for you, Larry.  You are going to love the bike, and just wait to you hit some twisties!  Wait, do you have twisties in Oklahoma??

Larry in ok
United States of America

Post by Larry in ok »

No twisties in Oklahoma, everything is exactly flat and straight. We don't even have to deal with that whole curvature of the earth thing here. The rumors of twisty roads in the western Ozark mountains here in the Northeastern part of the state are as untrue as the stories of curving roads from the Wichita or Kiamichi mountains in the southeast or southwest parts of the state.be

Good luck with the IRS.
Some people are like Slinkys, not really good for much of anything but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
jackronner
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 9 times
United States of America

Post by jackronner »

Larry,  I know, I've been through parts of OK.  From Iowa to OKC on I-35, the west on 40 to the west coast. But that was 50 yrs ago, when there were still bits of Rte. 66 left. But on my last coast to coast trip I took I-70 west and was surprised at how hilly it got.  Nebraska is 600 miles of flat on I-80 that I've suffered through exactly too many times, so Kansas was a pleasant surprise.  Want a laugh?  Click on 'Terrain' on a map of OK.  Nothing happens.
60Aviator
Bike Model and Year: 2017 GSA & 2021 R1250RT
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 11 times
United States of America

Post by 60Aviator »

Larry try Talimena Scenic Drive, one of my favorites when in that area.
“I’d rather go down the river with seven studs than with a hundred poopheads” Charlie Beckwith
Doctor T
Bike Model and Year: 2007 R1200RT SE
Has liked: 909 times
Been liked: 239 times
Great Britain

Post by Doctor T »

Good news for once. The tyre is repairable with a plug. Where in the UK are you?
Trust me I am a retired Doctor and lecturer at Oxford University of Structural and Mechanical/Electrical engineering.
Larry in ok
United States of America

Post by Larry in ok »

Doctor T wrote: Good news for once. The tyre is repairable with a plug. Where in the UK are you?

I'm about 4000 miles West of you in the Central US, Oklahoma.
Last edited by Larry in ok on Mon May 02, 2022 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Larry in ok
United States of America

Post by Larry in ok »

60Aviator wrote: Larry try Talimena Scenic Drive, one of my favorites when in that area.

I've run Talimena Drive many times, planning on a return trip this Spring before the Summer heat sets in. It's a 150 mile ride down to Talihina from my place. We usually make a 3 day trip out of it and hotel in McAlester. Wandering backroads ride down on 1st day, 2nd day riding around the area and then wandering backroads ride home on the 3rd day.
Larry in ok
United States of America

Post by Larry in ok »

Pulled the wheel off yesterday morning and took it in to the dealer. They wouldn't repair it but did have a replacement in stock. Told me they wouldn't be able to get to it yesterday so I headed home. It's a 50 mile drive. Got almost home and they called to let me know they'd been able to get it changed. Told them I'd be in today to get it.
My wife had other plans. She's still sick from the flu, had her in to an urgent care clinic last Friday and they treated for bronchitis she still feels like crap and not getting much better. We spent about 6 hours at the ER. Lab work, Xrays, CT scan... Nothing bad on any of that but sent her home with anti nausea meds and ordered continued supportive care with follow up if no improvement. In a couple of days. She's feeling a little better now.
Hopefully I'll be able to go get it tomorrow.
On the positive side, of all the motorcycles I've ever worked on, it was the easiest wheel I've ever taken off.
60Aviator
Bike Model and Year: 2017 GSA & 2021 R1250RT
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 11 times
United States of America

Post by 60Aviator »

Larry in ok wrote: Pulled the wheel off yesterday morning and took it in to the dealer. They wouldn't repair it but did have a replacement in stock. Told me they wouldn't be able to get to it yesterday so I headed home. It's a 50 mile drive. Got almost home and they called to let me know they'd been able to get it changed. Told them I'd be in today to get it.
My wife had other plans. She's still sick from the flu, had her in to an urgent care clinic last Friday and they treated for bronchitis she still feels like crap and not getting much better. We spent about 6 hours at the ER. Lab work, Xrays, CT scan... Nothing bad on any of that but sent her home with anti nausea meds and ordered continued supportive care with follow up if no improvement. In a couple of days. She's feeling a little better now.
Hopefully I'll be able to go get it tomorrow.
On the positive side, of all the motorcycles I've ever worked on, it was the easiest wheel I've ever taken off.

Wait till you change the air filter!
“I’d rather go down the river with seven studs than with a hundred poopheads” Charlie Beckwith
Larry in ok
United States of America

Post by Larry in ok »

Heck, I don't even know where the battery is yet.