Typical wait for service in the US?

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Larry in ok
Bike Model and Year: 2022 R1250RT
United States of America

Typical wait for service in the US?

Post by Larry in ok »

Scheduled my 600 mile service for my new RT. The earliest available appointment is June 4th for a "while you wait" job.
Or, I can drop it off and wait for them to fit it in, might take a week or so.
Is this typical of service in the US or did I choose my dealership poorly?
Some people are like Slinkys, not really good for much of anything but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
krw

Re: Typical wait for service in the US?

Post by krw »

My dealer had a 7 week wait for first service. I did my own oil/filter and rear spline lube when it was due and had them sign off the rest of the run in check when they were able to. They charged $325 for the balance of the work which took about 20 minutes. I watched my bike go in and out. I'll just do my own service moving forward now that I can reset the service interval with motoscan. No way I was going to take 7 weeks to put 600 miles on a new bike. I think I blew through that in about 2 or 3 weeks. And I can't predict when I will need maintenance 2 months ahead of time. I'm about to do the 6000 mile in the next couple of weeks...
Larry in ok
Bike Model and Year: 2022 R1250RT
United States of America

Post by Larry in ok »

I figured I'd let them do the first one in case I have any squawks I want addressed, don't have any yet though. I'll start doing my own. So far the service dept. hasn't impressed me. Even though they did get my rear tire replaced same day after estimating 2-3 days they still managed to scratch the rim.  The 100 mile round trip to the dealership becomes a 300 mile trip if I have to have my wife follow me in and take me home and then bring me back to pick up the bike when finished.
[size=2px]I have done all my own maintenance and minor (and some major repairs) on the previous 8 motorcycles I've owned. This one just takes a bit more undressing and foreplay to get to the naughty bits.[/size]
Some people are like Slinkys, not really good for much of anything but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
JamesH920

Post by JamesH920 »

If you can get an appointment, expect 1-2 hours for most regular service tasks. Add an additional two hours to that estimate if there is an update available for your TFT system. They basically plug it in and wait for the BMW servers to download all the necessary files and then complete a full re-flash of the firmware on you bike. I have had this completed twice now and my dealer is always surprised at how long it takes.
emlevy
Bike Model and Year: 2015 R1200RT
Been liked: 2 times
United States of America

Post by emlevy »

This time of the year, yes, dealer service departments can get overwhelmed by everyone getting their bikes ready for the summer riding season. Many dealers will remain busy throughout the summer. If possible, try to postpone regular servicing until the slower winter months when they’ll be able to get you in and out quickly, often while you wait. My dealer, only 30 minutes away, offers free bike pickup and delivery in a covered trailer when you schedule service during their slow months. I take advantage of that.

2015 R1200RT | 2012 R1200R Classic