The Northern Monkeys are back

Want to arrange a local meet or ride out with like minded people? Then please post about it in this section with all the details and dates.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Re: The Northern Monkeys are back

Post by David. »

k9doc wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:27 pmIt's been a while but any plans for the Northern Monkey 'Hardnuts' this year. Selby or Wetherby also options for start points.
Currently have a Honda (thinking about a VStrom), but don't mind riding with BMW's when necessary.
Hi Chris, Stu (sakm) has suggested meeting at Tim's Cafe, Thorp Arch (near Wetherby), https://www.facebook.com/groups/timscafethorparch

A date of Sunday 23rd April has been proposed.

I'm sure anyone, on any bike would be most welcome, even GS riders.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

k9doc wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:27 pmHappy to do Lincolnshire Wolds or Yorkshire Wolds.
k9doc
Bike Model and Year: 2013 TC 90th Anniversary Edition
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 9 times
Great Britain

Post by k9doc »

Hi David, thanks for the reply. Might join you for the run from Thorp Arch to the Humber. Will see how things develop and check in nearer the time.

Purely for information, there is a great stop on the south side of the river, parking, toilets and food.

https://www.visitnorthlincolnshire.com/ ... or-centre/

St. George's Day ride. Good job! Will have to dig my flag out.
Chris
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

k9doc wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 5:28 pmMight join you for the run from Thorp Arch to the Humber. Will see how things develop and check in nearer the time.

Purely for information, there is a great stop on the south side of the river, parking, toilets and food.
At this stage, it's purely a suggestion. As Simbo knows, if it's raining, I won't be there.

I'll look at your suggested P&T stop, thank you.

I'm sure if it's going to happen, a new thread will be started nearer the time.
sakm
Administrator
Bike Model and Year: 2016 R1200RT
Has liked: 435 times
Been liked: 388 times
Great Britain

Post by sakm »

k9doc wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 5:28 pm Hi David, thanks for the reply. Might join you for the run from Thorp Arch to the Humber. Will see how things develop and check in nearer the time.

https://www.visitnorthlincolnshire.com/ ... or-centre/

St. George's Day ride. Good job! Will have to dig my flag out.
I would have to go the long way round for that as its only 17 miles from my house :lol:

What do you guys normally do on these? Just meet up for a brew?
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

sakm wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 8:16 pmWhat do you guys normally do on these.
Meet up at a mutually agreeable starting point (Thorp Arch) and then have a somewhere near circular ride out before all heading back to our respective homes.
simbo
Bike Model and Year: RT 2011
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 96 times
Great Britain

Post by simbo »

I'm always up for a run out :thumb:
The GS 'is' the better bike :-)
k9doc
Great Britain

Post by k9doc »

David. wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 5:48 pm I'm sure if it's going to happen, a new thread will be started nearer the time.
Cheers David, I'll keep a weather eye out.
Chris
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Using this thread for discussion, bearing in mind that most of the usual NM attendees are around an hour from Wetherby, what would be a suitable time to meet at the start/first P&T stop.
k9doc
Great Britain

Post by k9doc »

David. wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:54 pm Using this thread for discussion, bearing in mind that most of the usual NM attendees are around an hour from Wetherby, what would be a suitable time to meet at the start/first P&T stop.
My approach has always been, 'We want to be leaving by.........o'clock', depending on the length of the ride, amount of daylight etc. This then allows people who want a cooked breakfast to turn up earlier than those just wanting a brew and toilet. The reality, for me at least, was often more like trying to herd cats, best laid plans etc. but I would be wanting to start the ride around 1000 to 1030. Just my opinion obviously.
Chris
scunny12
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: 1200RT LE 2015
Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 31 times
Great Britain

Post by scunny12 »

sakm wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 8:16 pm I would have to go the long way round for that as its only 17 miles from my house :lol:

What do you guys normally do on these? Just meet up for a brew?
I would need to go a long way around too, as its only 6 miles from mine. I just need a new knee to hold my RT up with confidence, but I can at last get my leg over the seat after surgery. :)
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

k9doc wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:25 pmMy approach has always been, 'We want to be leaving by.........o'clock'. This then allows people who want a cooked breakfast to turn up earlier than those just wanting a brew and toilet. I would be wanting to start the ride around 10:00 to 10:30.
I agree with this approach, would leaving Thorp Arch (Wetherby) at 11:00 be acceptable to you.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

sakm wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 8:16 pmI would have to go the long way round for that as its only 17 miles from my house.
scunny12 wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 11:21 pmI would need to go a long way around too, as its only 6 miles from mine.
The idea is that the ride would start from Thorp Arch (Wetherby) which is around an hour away for those who have expressed an interest in attending.
k9doc
Great Britain

Post by k9doc »

David. wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 8:35 am I agree with this approach, would leaving Thorp Arch (Wetherby) at 11:00 be acceptable to you.
No problem.
David. wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 8:40 am
The idea is that the ride would start from Thorp Arch (Wetherby) which is around an hour away for those who have expressed an interest in attending.
If this ride comes off, my idea would be to do the 'meet up' and halfway stop on the Humber, then make my way south for home or alternatively meet up at the river, ride north with the group for a while and then head home. Hence some riding in company and banter, the aim of the game.
For this particular ride those living nearer the river could do the second leg and then head home.

Past experience tells me that not every planned ride will suit every Northern Monkey and a flexible approach might work to encourage more interest and participation.

Thoughts?
Chris
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

How about making the River Humber P&T stop, https://www.visitnorthlincolnshire.com/ ... or-centre/ a lunchtime meet at 13:00.

With the option of heading northwest to the outskirts of York P&T stop, then splitting for home from there.