Zumo entry point takes me round the block and home again

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
potatan

Zumo entry point takes me round the block and home again

Post by potatan »

I created a trip using MRA from my hotel in Keswick up around Kirkstone Pass then back again. But whether I choose the start point or closest entry point the Zumo just wants me to drive 20 yards then I've reached my destination.

The route has three waypoints, start, Kirkstone Inn, end (same as start)

What is the way around this?

Sent from my GM1903 using Tapatalk

David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 334 times
Great Britain

Re: Zumo entry point takes me round the block and home again

Post by David. »

potatan wrote:What is the way around this?
Create two linear routes, hotel in Keswick to Kirkstone Inn and Kirkstone Inn to hotel in Keswick.
potatan

Post by potatan »

Haha I realised I could have done this just now on my way back from Ambleside. Funny how the mind works away when you've only got the road and a few sheep to think about
yorkie
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 13 times
Great Britain

Post by yorkie »

Potatan, do not have the same start and finish point, it's a quirk of the Zumo's that they think you have already finished before you've started, which I suppose logically, to a SatNav, you have :-)
Simply start your route about a mile from your actual start point and then things should work fine.
potatan

Post by potatan »

This is a good idea except I was in a strange town in the tiny back streets so I needed the route to the main road, and then a heading in the right direction.

I have more trips planned in the next few days so I'll see how I get on
Thanks

yorkie
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 13 times
Great Britain

Post by yorkie »

potatan wrote: This is a good idea except I was in a strange town in the tiny back streets so I needed the route to the main road, and then a heading in the right direction.

That's OK, when you start the SatNav simply tell it to go to the first waypoint and it will work out the route for you.
A good source of knowledge for the Garmin devices is here, https://www.zumouserforums.co.uk
Last edited by yorkie on Mon May 23, 2022 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sakm
Administrator
Bike Model and Year: 2016 R1200RT
Has liked: 459 times
Been liked: 403 times
Great Britain

Post by sakm »

did you export it as gpx1.1 or 1.2?
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

sakm wrote: did you export it as gpx1.1 or 1.2?

What difference does that make? I export with 1.0, 1.1 and 1.2 to my XT and they all work fine.
sakm
Administrator
Great Britain

Post by sakm »

Casbar wrote:
What difference does that make? I export with 1.0, 1.1 and 1.2 to my XT and they all work fine.

Depends on your setup n the zumo!

If you have automatic recalculation on and use 1.2 then go off route it will recalculate to your final destination and skip any shaping points you have
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

sakm wrote:
Depends on your setup n the zumo!

If you have automatic recalculation on and use 1.2 then go off route it will recalculate to your final destination and skip any shaping points you have

Not sure about that. I used 1.2 for a route across France and Belgium a couple of weeks ago. Took a wrong turning in a village, the XT just gave me directions through the village and took me back to my original route outside the village a little further down the road. I had recalculation switched on. Similarly on the way back to the ferry, went off my route and the XT just recalculated my route and took me back to my original route as soon as it could. It did used to behave as you described on my Nav VI, but seems to react different on the XT
sakm
Administrator
Great Britain

Post by sakm »

Casbar wrote:
Not sure about that. I used 1.2 for a route across France and Belgium a couple of weeks ago. Took a wrong turning in a village, the XT just gave me directions through the village and took me back to my original route outside the village a little further down the road. I had recalculation switched on. Similarly on the way back to the ferry, went off my route and the XT just recalculated my route and took me back to my original route as soon as it could. It did used to behave as you described on my Nav VI, but seems to react different on the XT

Did you have way points or shaping points?

There is a deference and it does affect how the zumo routes

It won't ignore way points in a route you have created but it will shaping points when it recalculates

There is a bit on it on the link in this thread

https://www.zumouserforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=1560
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

sakm wrote:
Did you have way points or shaping points?

There is a deference and it does affect how the zumo routes

It won't ignore way points in a route you have created but it will shaping points when it recalculates

There is a bit on it on the link in this thread

https://www.zumouserforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=1560

I have been using MRA since it was first developed and I have been using it with BMW Navs and have also been active on their support forum, in the early years. I had a 400 mile route planned in MRA with waypoints, I then saved and transferred as 1.2 via garmin drive directly to my XT. There were no visible waypoints or announcing way points, but every time I passed one, I noticed the screen quickly refresh. What it did do was if I was a little way off the route it navigated me back onto the route. But if I was a long way off, it navigated me back to the next waypoint along the route (even though it wasn't visible, but was in the options if I wanted to re start the route and pick the start waypoint. If you transfer a route from MRA as 1.0 you will get visible waypoints, if you use 1.1 you get shaping points, in the device once loaded you can swap any waypoints to shaping points or visa versa. There is a bit of confusion about what Garmin call waypoints and what MRA consider waypoints to be. But as I described it behaved differently to how my Navs used to react. This was the first long journey I had done with the XT so not that much of an expert on it, but 1.2 seemed to work well. Away on Friday as well, so will try with 1.1 and 1.0 to see how that impacts the XT behaviour.
sakm
Administrator
Great Britain

Post by sakm »

Casbar wrote:
I have been using MRA since it was first developed and I have been using it with BMW Navs and have also been active on their support forum, in the early years. I had a 400 mile route planned in MRA with waypoints, I then saved and transferred as 1.2 via garmin drive directly to my XT. There were no visible waypoints or announcing way points, but every time I passed one, I noticed the screen quickly refresh. What it did do was if I was a little way off the route it navigated me back onto the route. But if I was a long way off, it navigated me back to the next waypoint along the route (even though it wasn't visible, but was in the options if I wanted to re start the route and pick the start waypoint. If you transfer a route from MRA as 1.0 you will get visible waypoints, if you use 1.1 you get shaping points, in the device once loaded you can swap any waypoints to shaping points or visa versa. There is a bit of confusion about what Garmin call waypoints and what MRA consider waypoints to be. But as I described it behaved differently to how my Navs used to react. This was the first long journey I had done with the XT so not that much of an expert on it, but 1.2 seemed to work well. Away on Friday as well, so will try with 1.1 and 1.0 to see how that impacts the XT behaviour.

The problem is when you have a start and end point with just shaping points and then transfer it using 1.2 and have automatic recalculation turned on.

It caught me out on Sunday I set a route and then went off it for fuel and it directed me straight back home! I had to re load the route then chose closest entry point and all was well for the full ride until I got near home and I purposefully went off route and it recalculated and sent me a totally different way

If you have waypoints the zumo doesn't ignore these
Fourbears
Been liked: 5 times
Great Britain

Post by Fourbears »

If you are using MRA to design your route and transfer it to the XT using GPX1.2 then it will not transfer any shaping or via points. How do I know? I did that couple of times and it just produced a straight line to the destination. You have to use GPX 1.1 so it transfers your points, waypoint, via ,shaping whatever you call them. It will recalculate your route on occasion but will get you there!
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Fourbears wrote: If you are using MRA to design your route and transfer it to the XT using GPX1.2 then it will not transfer any shaping or via points. How do I know? I did that couple of times and it just produced a straight line to the destination. You have to use GPX 1.1 so it transfers your points, waypoint, via ,shaping whatever you call them. It will recalculate your route on occasion but will get you there!

But that is what I did. I used 1.2 and there were no straight lines route was fine. I’ve just done a route for a day trip on Friday. I’ll transfer it and see what happens. I could be having a senior moment and used 1.1 last week.