Puff of Smoke

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
Gavj
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2020
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 15 times
Great Britain

Puff of Smoke

Post by Gavj »

So, bike's been in my garage for a few weeks, not unusua, it can sit there a few weeks at a time. Started it up and it gave a cough then filled the garden with smoke! Smoke ceared almost instanty and hasn't done it again. I park it on the sidestand of that makes a difference... any ideas?

2020 1250 RT with 8000 miles, dealer serviced 8 months ago. Checked oil level, looks fine.
keith1200r

Re: Puff of Smoke

Post by keith1200r »

I think it is a known effect when you park boxers on the sidestand, although I am no expert and always use the centre stand in the garage. Oil collects in the lower cylinder head on the side stand
Gavj
Great Britain

Post by Gavj »

thanks for the response, I had heard that re the older models but had assumed that they had fixed the issue on the newer generation of engines....... I will mention it to the dealer at next service, still under warranty so will see what they say.
Gavj
Great Britain

Post by Gavj »

Dont know if its related but the engine light came on yesterday! Bike being picked up this morning by BMW assist.......
Gavj
Great Britain

Post by Gavj »

Update,,,, just had another call from BMW Assist, there arranging to drop off a replacement bike for me while mine is in..... wasnt expecting that! Had a quick google and apparently its part of the 3yr warranty...
Gavj
Great Britain

Post by Gavj »

update on the update..... they don't do replacement bikes in Scotland  :shirty: ..... I can have a car if I want........

Anyway, recovery trucks been and bikes on its way to dealers......
keith1200r

Post by keith1200r »

I'm interested to know the outcome.
Gavj
Great Britain

Post by Gavj »

Had a call from the dealer to tell me that they have the bike and will look at it tomorrow, at a guess he said it may be the exhaust flap / valve.... but doesnt know what would have caused the smoke....

first call I had was from the driver, he was parked outside the dealer and they wouldn't help him offload the bike, he was too nervous to do it himself as it was "a big bugger" and I had scared the crap out of him telling him it was £20k's worth  :) )  he couldnt support the bike and release the straps himself......a guy on a Kawasaki gave him a hand (thanks mate) and it was offloaded without incident. The dealer wouldnt do it as their insurance doesnt cover them for that..... I can see their point, the recovery firm should have been able....

Attachments
IMG_4252.jpg
hammo
Bike Model and Year: 2019 1250rtle
Been liked: 20 times
Great Britain

Post by hammo »

How old is the bike ? my exhaust flap gave up after 3500 mile on my 2020 RTLE model ,  burnt out the motor all replaced under warranty .
Gavj
Great Britain

Post by Gavj »

Its a 2020 with 8k miles
michaelc2710
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 22 times
Great Britain

Post by michaelc2710 »

No wonder the recovery guy struggled.....its Greengrass from Heartbeat
Attachments
images.jpeg.jpg
Our Gee
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2011
Been liked: 24 times
Great Britain

Post by Our Gee »

It's disappointing to hear that BMW Assist are still in the habit of sending out inexperienced and unsuitable recovery firms. Looking at the picture and reading what the poor guy said is very similar to our own experience which happened quite some time ago with our Hexhead. This was during the dreaded Fuel Pump Controller failure period and our bike was transported back to our home in a totally unsuitable and poorly equipped van. My wife and I more or less loaded and unloaded the bike ourselves as the young chap didn't have a clue. (not his fault). I complained bitterly to BMW Assist and the next day S.O.S. Motorcycle Recovery turned up at our home to transport the bike to our dealer in their super dedicated and superbly equipped Van. After the previous day's farce it was a pleasure to watch an obviously experienced professional do his stuff, handling our bike as if it where a "pushbike". The care and attention was impressive. I now carry this companies contact details in my wallet.
smileymiley
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 17MY
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 11 times
Great Britain

Post by smileymiley »

Yes, SOS did my recovery when I was rear ended in 2015.
Exemplary service and attitude.
Vini, Vidi, Velcro....... I came, I saw, I stuck around.
Gavj
Great Britain

Post by Gavj »

Had a call last night from Dealer, light is on because of an exhaust flap fault. New valve including headers ordered and will be fitted next week. No mention of the smoke.....

I wonder if the new valve is modified or just the same one again?
sakm
Administrator
Bike Model and Year: 2016 R1200RT
Has liked: 435 times
Been liked: 388 times
Great Britain

Post by sakm »

Gavj wrote:
I wonder if the new valve is modified or just the same one again?

The same one that will cause the problem again and again!

Best to disconnect it and remove the motor and fit an eliminator!

I had issues with mine and tried twice to stop it seizing then just spent £40 and removed everything I could

https://www.healtech-electronics.com/products/ese