General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Re: Legal advice regards a sorn fine.

Post by David. »

Is this correct, the OP has received a SORN fine, not a parking ticket.
sakm
Administrator
Bike Model and Year: 2016 R1200RT
Has liked: 450 times
Been liked: 392 times
Great Britain

Post by sakm »

David. wrote: Is this correct, the OP has received a SORN fine, not a parking ticket.

And thats the point

Should it be a sorn fine or a parking ticket?

He says it was declared sorn and classed as on the highway if its on a verge

But if you park there you get a fine as its not a parking space or part of the highway its the verge

I just think its wrong he has being fined when its off the road and not being used when there is load of untaxed and uninsured drivers out there actually driving about on the road

Seems like easy money for them
burridge01
Bike Model and Year: Modified "16" R1200RT
Been liked: 192 times
Great Britain

Post by burridge01 »

Thanks David,but it doesn't really answer my question.

Think I'll swallow and pay the fine tomorrow,life's to short for these things.Lesson learned.
burridge01
Great Britain

Post by burridge01 »

sakm wrote:
And thats the point

Should it be a sorn fine or a parking ticket?

He says it was declared sorn and classed as on the highway if its on a verge

But if you park there you get a fine as its not a parking space or part of the highway its the verge

I just think its wrong he has being fined when its off the road and not being used when there is load of untaxed and uninsured drivers out there actually driving about on the road

Seems like easy money for them
I hadn't realised that the verge(its more a huge grass area outside our houses)was classed as the highway and thought i was doing the right thing by parking it off the tarmac,ie,the road.I have sinced learned there are multiple things they will fine a fully legal vehicle for,if its parked on the verge.The favourite one seems to be obstruction,and from there the list goes on.Damned if you do,damned if you don't. As i posted above,I'll swallow and pay.
burridge01
Great Britain

Post by burridge01 »

Payed the £170 earlier and to be honest i feel I've been mugged,robbing bastards😡
Glenn
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT LE 2018
Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 87 times
Great Britain

Post by Glenn »

sakm wrote:
I know that

But they are saying it was on the highway! yet if you park a taxed MOTed and insured car there you would get fined for it being on the verge

So is it the highway or is it the verge or is it just when it suits

I wonder if the highway extends to the grass verge when "1. A highway maintainable at the public expense" ie grass cutting.

[size=2px]https://www.york.gov.uk/downloads/file/ ... te-streets[/size]
Fourbears
Been liked: 5 times
Great Britain

Post by Fourbears »

The highway goes from boundary to boundary. So a verge is part of it. No doubt a lot do not realise that and fall foul. Put it in your driveway or obviously on private land otherwise….
simbo
Bike Model and Year: RT 2011
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 98 times
Great Britain

Post by simbo »

burridge01 wrote: Payed the £170 earlier and to be honest i feel I've been mugged,robbing bastards😡

Yes, I think I'd be pretty pissed too  >:(  I bought my missus a car a few years back to learn to drive in. She failed her test twice and gave it up in her temper lol. Anyway, the car was just sat over the road on what I thought was the church car park and never used so I sorned it. It'd had been there about two years Mot'd and insured but untaxed without bother when all of a sudden a local police woman came asking questions to who'm the car belonged to? I owned up and a little disgruntled agreed to move it once I'd freed the seized brakes off. A month went by without further ado and my works van got broke into on the same car park  >:(  anyway, the same copper came round the following day to take the details of the break in so I thought? oh no! she'd come round to tell me to move the car again!!! well, she got a right bollocking for about 20 mins lol then the vicar came home and enquired what was going on? so he got a bollocking as well because I'd guessed it was one of his parishioners who'd grassed me over having no road tax. Hey ho, life goes on  :)
The GS 'is' the better bike :-)
MikeS
Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 49 times
Great Britain

Post by MikeS »

You gave the Vicar a bollocking? That's your chances of getting through the pearly gates fecked. He'll have contacts up there.