Exhaust flapper valve does not cycle at ignition ON.

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Panman40
Has liked: 260 times
Been liked: 35 times
Great Britain

Re: Exhaust flapper valve does not cycle at ignition ON.

Post by Panman40 »

Casbar wrote: Been there and got the T shirt with respect to lubing the flap spindle and top. Quick back story, 2014 bike, two sets of headers over 30k miles. 1250RT, new headers at 5k miles, on this bike, I regularly lubed the spindle with special high temp grease (recommended on a US forum). Made no difference at all.

2015 RTp flap stuck at or before 30k, freed off and lubed with same high temp lube, lasts about 3 months before it is stuck again, now stuck open and left, bike has now done 57k. This is a fleet bike. 3 other 1250s, ranging from 2019 to 2021 bikes, all have now had new headers.

I have at least 3 mates on 21 and 22 bikes, all have had new headers.

BMW insured warranty does not cover this issue! So when mine stick again, I'll use a GS911 to get rid of light and fit something like a servo buddy and disconnect the cables. But if you can stop the ECU trying to close the flap even better :)

Or trade the bike and buy a new one :)

I’ve just extended the warranty on my 2019, I cannot believe this flap is not covered, I think I’ll ask for a complete list of what’s Not covered on my bike and see whether I cancel it and cash it in.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Flapper valve is classed as part of the exhaust and exhaust is not covered. Again this was the case when I had the extended warranty on my 2014, have only just taken it out on my 2019 bike, so haven't recently checked.
Panman40
Has liked: 260 times
Been liked: 35 times
Great Britain

Post by Panman40 »

Casbar wrote: Flapper valve is classed as part of the exhaust and exhaust is not covered. Again this was the case when I had the extended warranty on my 2014, have only just taken it out on my 2019 bike, so haven't recently checked.
Ok thanks, I read the words ( wear and tear parts now included) on a document…
sakm
Administrator
Bike Model and Year: 2016 R1200RT
Has liked: 449 times
Been liked: 392 times
Great Britain

Post by sakm »

I quickly learn that the exhaust was not covered on the BMW insured warranty early on!

This was when I bought my bike last year and then took it back as the rear heated seat wasn't working!

The reply I got was that its not covered under the warranty but they changed it under goodwill!!

I went straight home and read the documents front to back!

Not long after I then started to have issues with the flap. I tried all sorts of tricks for lubing it which all failed fairly quickly

It was getting worse each time I freed it up so I just bought the servo buddy and forgot about it
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

The other thing to remember is, if they change it under good will or whatever and you pay a contribution, you get a full 2 year warranty on the new parts. If they change it and you pay nothing, there is no warranty on the parts once your manufacturers warranty runs out. So if you had your headers changed under manufactures warranty say a month before your warranty runs out, that is it, no two years going forward on the parts. My last set of my 2014 was changed just outside the warranty and they did under good will and I paid a £70 contribution. 2 years to nearly the week, it failed again and they changed it again as I had the 2 year parts warranty.
sakm
Administrator
Bike Model and Year: 2016 R1200RT
Has liked: 449 times
Been liked: 392 times
Great Britain

Post by sakm »

Casbar wrote: The other thing to remember is, if they change it under good will or whatever and you pay a contribution, you get a full 2 year warranty on the new parts. If they change it and you pay nothing, there is no warranty on the parts once your manufacturers warranty runs out. So if you had your headers changed under manufactures warranty say a month before your warranty runs out, that is it, no two years going forward on the parts. My last set of my 2014 was changed just outside the warranty and they did under good will and I paid a £70 contribution. 2 years to nearly the week, it failed again and they changed it again as I had the 2 year parts warranty.

Thats good to know!

So the plan is to offer some payment and get the 2 years warranty  :) )