Bucket Clip on headlamp Bulb

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
georgiarcoach
Bike Model and Year: 2018 R1200ŔT
United States of America

Bucket Clip on headlamp Bulb

Post by georgiarcoach »

Almost embarrassed to post this, but I am having one helluva time with one side of a bucket clip on the low beam or center bulb on my '18 RT.  Left side depresses and slides out nice and easy but the right side will only depress and wont move laterally either direction.

Of course I am doing this TOTALLY BLIND from the front of the bike.  Have spent about 30-45 min fiddling with this thing an. am making zero headway.  Keep thinking "next time will be the charm"----NOT.

suggestions appreciated.
jackronner
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 9 times
United States of America

Re: Bucket Clip on headlamp Bulb

Post by jackronner »

Don't be embarrassed; join the club of those of us that have had the same problem, going from the power of swear to the power of prayer, and all of us was bloody fingers and wrist to show for it. I suggest you find someone with tiny hands to try it for you, or disassemble half the bike. Not just bad engineering, it's almost sadistic.
7vwh
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2014
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 33 times
Great Britain

Re: Bucket Clip on headlamp Bulb

Post by 7vwh »

I’ve just replaced my dipped headlight bulb for the second time in 8 years and noted the same difference in resistance to each side of the clip. I found I had to place the pressure right on the far end/tip of the clip to get it to catch behind the hook.

I took a photograph of the back of the bulb to try and orientate my fingers!
Attachments
25DA900E-BBB9-4500-AC9F-CEC29A2597F4.jpeg
25DA900E-BBB9-4500-AC9F-CEC29A2597F4.jpeg (311.48 KiB) Viewed 124 times