SOCKS

Got any questions on clothing? Want to write a review to help others in choosing the right gear?
Doctor T
Bike Model and Year: 2007 R1200RT SE
Has liked: 877 times
Been liked: 230 times
Great Britain

SOCKS

Post by Doctor T »

Can't seem to find a topic within the site for clothing. Am on the lookout for a pair of thin breathable socks. Am after short socks, not knee-length ones that i can only seem to find. Even in the winter, i can ring the sweat out. Recommendation needed. Cheers
Trust me I am a retired Doctor and lecturer at Oxford University of Structural and Mechanical/Electrical engineering.
Steve398
Bike Model and Year: R1200RTLC, 2018
Has liked: 261 times
Been liked: 217 times
Isle of Wight

Re: SOCKS

Post by Steve398 »

You're not alone in the search, try cycling socks, something along these lines -

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/endura-coolmax-stripe-ii-socks-2-pack?lang=en&curr=GBP&dest=1&sku=106426781

Otherwise bamboo or polyester, anything that wicks the sweat away.

It's taken a long time but science has (finally) changed my choice of biking baselayers for hot weather this year, instead of cotton T-shirts I now wear technical Rab or similar climbing/hiking T's, which are so much more comfortable. So underwear and socks will follow the same path, but they can be a bit pricey...
Last edited by Steve398 on Sat Jul 09, 2022 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

I use EDZ Merino wool base layers, EDZ Merino Activewear For Adventure And Everyday

How about these Alpinestars socks, Alpinestars Road Racing Socks– MSG Bike Gear available from MSG Bike Gear.
Last edited by David. on Sat Jul 09, 2022 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dpickens

Post by dpickens »

Bridgedale Light Weight T2 or Ultra Light Weight T2

They come in 3/4 crew and crew length
Sharkfighter
Bike Model and Year: 2013 1200RT
Been liked: 15 times
Great Britain

Post by Sharkfighter »

I use the ones that I was issued by the Queen, when I went to those foreign countries that were very hot and sandy. Never had a problem in 40+ heat out there and they work as well in this country all year.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Sharkfighter wrote:I use the ones that I was issued by the Queen.
Would these be the British Army desert socks. If so, seen loads on ebay and army surplus stores.
Doctor T
Bike Model and Year: 2007 R1200RT SE
Has liked: 877 times
Been liked: 230 times
Great Britain

Post by Doctor T »

Thanks for the replies. I have purchased a 3-pack of Under Armour heat guard socks for £9.89 and a pair of new Army surplus socks for £7.99. At the same time ive bought a pair of bamboo boxer shorts. If the shorts work i will buy a few tops as well.
I and the heat just don't go together. Most look forward to the summer but i love the winter months. Colder the better. Shorts and T-shirts till December then they're back on in March. You won't find a jumper or thick coat in my wardrobe.
Trust me I am a retired Doctor and lecturer at Oxford University of Structural and Mechanical/Electrical engineering.
Sharkfighter
Bike Model and Year: 2013 1200RT
Been liked: 15 times
Great Britain

Post by Sharkfighter »

David. wrote: Would these be the British Army desert socks. If so, seen loads on ebay and army surplus stores.

Yes, although I will say that the ones I was issued in 2003 were different to the ones I was issued in 2008. Having said that they’re equally as good in my opinion.