General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Randyjaco
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2017
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 37 times
United States of America

Changing the handlebar angle?

Post by Randyjaco »

Maybe I have strange hands, but they don't seem to like the angle of the bars on my 2017 RT. It is my understanding that when riding my knuckle joints should line up with the bars as in the first picture. The problem is my knuckles look more like the second photo. I haven't seen anything on the market that changes the angle of the handle bars. Any suggestions?
Attachments
PXL_20220715_192014566.jpg
PXL_20220715_192014566.jpg (76.37 KiB) Viewed 571 times
PXL_20220715_191951080.jpg
PXL_20220715_191951080.jpg (35.59 KiB) Viewed 567 times
PXL_20220715_191938560.jpg
PXL_20220715_191938560.jpg (32.4 KiB) Viewed 568 times
jackronner
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 9 times
United States of America

Re: Changing the handlebar angle?

Post by jackronner »

I think you're out of look, mate.  BMW as a touch of the Teutonic and the way they dictate an upright posture and they "proper" angle and reach of the handlebars. Kind of like your mom telling you to watch your posture sit up straight! I often thought that the points of attachment on the steering head should be placed on a round face with triangular teeth, allowing you to rotate the bars to accommodate your own arm length etc., as well as allowing you to sit back a little bit if you have back issues. 
Doctor T
Bike Model and Year: 2007 R1200RT SE
Has liked: 879 times
Been liked: 230 times
Great Britain

Post by Doctor T »

Your arms, wrist, and hand should be in a straight line. If not this is when you get tingles in the fingers and a painful wrist. You get the same pains when using a keyboard for a long time as well. As for me, my arm length is short so i fitted a plate under the handlebars to raise and put the bars closer to me. There are a lot for sale on eBay. I think i paid around £20 inc delivery.

If i slump my back as per say a normal street bike i still get the tingles and wrist pain but if i sit upright everything seems to gell more and the pains are gone. Any lower back pains go as well after a long run. Ride the bike like your a police officer, with a straight back
Trust me I am a retired Doctor and lecturer at Oxford University of Structural and Mechanical/Electrical engineering.
dpickens

Post by dpickens »

Two options:

1) Have something custom machined like the Vario Ergo Risers - https://www.wunderlichamerica.com/BMW_R ... ser_Kit_98
    But with some changes to the angles to accommodate your specific needs

2) Convert to the tubular handle bar and get a custom bend on the bar itself.
Randyjaco
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2017
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 37 times
United States of America

Post by Randyjaco »

Thanks for the responses. It looks like I am just going to have to live to what I have :(  I was hoping for a simpler solution.
burridge01
Bike Model and Year: Modified "16" R1200RT
Been liked: 192 times
Great Britain

Post by burridge01 »

Randyjaco wrote: Thanks for the responses. It looks like I am just going to have to live to what I have :(  I was hoping for a simpler solution.
Buy some new arms :enjoying:
jackronner
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 9 times
United States of America

Post by jackronner »

Try this DIY. Get a perforated steel bar from the hardware store and bend it to suit your hand/wrist angle, attach some flexible tubing - I used old vacuum cleaner tubing - stuff some foam rubber, etc. into the end of the tubing for firmness, find a suitable cap for the open end, then just screw it into the bar end.[/size]  [/size]Be sure you make the bend,so it won't hit the tank or center console area when the bar is fully turned/locked. [/size] [/size]
[/font]
I did it on the left side only, for use when the cruise control is engaged on long rides while I rest my right hand in may lap, but you can use it on both sides if you like. I prefer to lean back against my load since it eases any back pain, show the device pictured here gives me about 4 inches of a rear word extension. If you prefer the upright posture, you can adjust where are you make the bend  closer to the normal handle position. The way I have it placed, even if my hands are on the normal handle, it tends to lend some support to my wrist area. Here's hoping it works for you, but if it doesn't at least it's cheap![/font]
Attachments
IMG_0025.jpeg
IMG_0025.jpeg (26.52 KiB) Viewed 488 times
Last edited by jackronner on Sun Jul 17, 2022 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Marvin2Shoes
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2011 MOD
Has liked: 76 times
Been liked: 17 times
Australia

Post by Marvin2Shoes »

Ok lets unpack this... Firstly, if you ask one hundred people with lumbar issues what their symptoms are you'll get nearly one hundred different replies. Injury/old-age disc dessication manifests itself in unfathomable ways.
I personally have a complete inability to ride a 'cruiser' style of motorcycle as leaning back while hitting a pothole will cause massive levels of pain. I rode a friends Ducati and discovered that leaning forward gives me a good deal of relief from lumbar pain.
Since buying a R1200RT recently I have found that stuffing the tank bag to bursting will allow me to lean against it and take the bumps without so much discomfort. The only problem is that this leaves my arms at about 70-80 degree elbow bend which looks and feels quite ridiculous. Even the R Nine T racer is too upright to give me a comfortable ride. I will be removing the riser spacers installed by the previous owner but wish I could get the position of the bars a bit further forward.
I definitely understand the need to be able to customise the seating position and will be doing my darndest to rectify the situation in the near future.
Not everyone likes to to sit bolt upright. If spacers exist for ppl with short arms then is there a kit to modify for people with long arms and bad backs?
2011 R1200RT Highly Modified