Bike Model and Year: 2016 R1200RT
Has liked: 451 times
Been liked: 395 times
Great Britain

Possible recall

Post by sakm »

Just been reading this

https://www.motorradonline.de/ratgeber/ ... dan-check/

You will have to translate it from German though!

Looks like this is a possible recall in progress by my understanding
Sullivj
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 21 times
Great Britain

Re: Possible recall

Post by Sullivj »

Over 400,000 BMW GS for cardan check

Major construction sites in the BMW workshops: The cardan is to be checked and a vent valve retrofitted on a total of 440,000 motorcycles worldwide, especially on the R 1250 GS and R 1200 GS from 2013.

"In order to improve long-term quality", according to BMW Motorrad's official formulation, the authorized workshops are currently being prepared for a very extensive service campaign: the cardan shafts of a total of 440,000 motorcycles worldwide are to be checked over the course of the next few months, ideally as part of the scheduled inspections will. 72,000 of them in Germany alone. The campaign primarily affects BMW's most important model: the boxer GS. Specifically, the R 1250 GS and the R 1200 GS from year of manufacture 2013, both type K50, as well as the respective adventure variants, type K51. In addition, there is the official version RT, type K52.Universal joint, articulation angle, corrosionBackground according to BMW, from a message to the dealers: "Service campaign during the next visit to the workshop - retrofit drainage in the swingarm and check the cardan shaft. Damage to the cardan shaft occasionally occurs, which impairs the function of the drive. In individual cases, propulsion can be lost Several factors contribute to the occurrence of damage. Corrosion effects, among others, play a role if they occur at functionally relevant points. Signs of wear caused by running time or particular climatic and dynamic loads can also lead to component damage. These effects can be caused by the geometric chassis design (kink angle of the universal joints in the swing arm) be reinforced."R 1200 GS, R 1250 GS and official RTApparently, a conspicuous accumulation of cardan defects was found in the Boxer GS from year of manufacture 2013 (with water-cooled engine) and in the R 1200 RT and R 1250 RT in the official version. With the GS, the cardan is subject to greater stress due to the concept, because of the longer spring deflection and the associated articulation angle between the cardan tunnel and the rear axle drive. This is where the cardan's rear universal joint is located. In addition, depending on the user, there is more or less tough enduro use. In any case, the authorities' RT are subjected to above-average strain, for example when driving over high curbs.Cardan check with special deviceSo that the cardan does not have to be opened on all 440,000 motorcycles concerned, every authorized workshop is to be given a special test device. Instead of the rear wheel, a measuring disk is mounted, and then the cardan is dragged over the rear axle while idling, that is, rotated. This stress test runs over various load changes and speeds, with sensors monitoring the forces and vibrations. If everything stays within the predefined normal range, the checked gimbal is considered "okay". If there are any abnormalities, a closer look is taken. In particular, the universal joint with its four roller bearings, but also the gearing to the rear axle drive is checked for rust and damage. Should parts then have to be replaced,Vent hole with beak valveIn principle, a vent on the cardan tunnel is retrofitted during this service campaign. For this purpose, a small hole is drilled on the underside in the rear area, near the universal joint, using a prepared template. In order to avoid the formation of potentially harmful metal chips, the drill should be lubricated beforehand. A rubber beak valve is then inserted into this hole using a kind of piercing tool. This special valve is intended to seal the hole to the outside, but allow air and, above all, moisture to escape from the cardan tunnel. This ventilation is supported by the pumping movements during compression and rebound. If water runs out immediately after drilling, this is also a reason to inspect the cardan more closely.45 minutes per motorcycle
A total of 45 minutes are planned for the cardan check including retrofitting the ventilation. Of course, this campaign is free of charge - at least for the customers, BMW will incur some costs.Cardan ventilation now in series
Since October 2021, the Paralever single-sided swingarms of the BMW R 1250 GS and R 1250 GS Adventure have been equipped with ventilation ex works. As a precaution, since November 2021 the swingarms of all other models with paralever and cardan as well. A second duckbill valve is also used in the front area of ​​the swingarm bearing, so that the cardan can exhale condensation even better. In the case of water ingress through leaks and/or mishandling of high-pressure cleaners, the chances of drying are at least more favorable and therefore less favorable for the formation of rust.

CONCLUSION
As a precautionary measure, BMW has the cardan shaft checked on 440,000 motorcycles and retrofitted with ventilation. That's better - and no reason to panic. Affected owners do not have to go to the workshop immediately, they can wait for their next appointment.

Last edited by Sullivj on Wed Jul 20, 2022 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
sakm
Administrator
Great Britain

Post by sakm »

Cheers sullivj

I haven't had chance to read it all properly yet but thought I'd post it anyway  :D
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Saw this on UKGSER. Only impacts GS and GSA not RTs. You can put your vin into the checker and it will tell you if your bike is impacted. This is also not a recall, it is a technical notice, which means there is no safety issue. Also, apparently most dealers are still awaiting the tools to do the job. Newer bikes are leaving the factory with this valve/grommet fitted.
sakm
Administrator
Great Britain

Post by sakm »

I have read somewhere that bmw like to se the term technical notice rather that recall as recall indicates a safety issue!

I should maybe change the topic title really
7vwh
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2014
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 33 times
Great Britain

Post by 7vwh »

All our RT-Ps are off to BMW for warranty work from next month. For the cardan shaft check and another recall which our workshops wouldn’t let me know about. Any bike with over 35000 miles on it will have the shaft replaced in any case.
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Thanks, we have a RTp Blood Bike with 60k on it, I’ll check with BMW for an update
Gavj
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2020
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 15 times
Great Britain

Post by Gavj »

Ive just booked my 2020 in for a service with BMW, 8500 miles, two yr service, was told that its just an oil change, valves checked at 12k..... but I was also due a final drive service. Is it normal for a bevel boxoil change at this point? Or are they just doing this recall and charging me for it......

Service is £180....
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Gavj wrote: Ive just booked my 2020 in for a service with BMW, 8500 miles, two yr service, was told that its just an oil change, valves checked at 12k..... but I was also due a final drive service. Is it normal for a bevel boxoil change at this point? Or are they just doing this recall and charging me for it......

Service is £180....

The recall is not for RTs, only GS/GSA and RTps official bikes, our RTp is on the recall as it is an official Blood Bike. Yes bevel box oil is a normal 12k service item. Also according to BMW dealer I spoke too, who are doing other authority bikes, the recall includes fitting the water drain in the final drive, but during this, they take the rear wheel off and attach a disc which measures any vibrations from the shaft. Only if the bike fails this test, will they change the shaft, so even on RTps there is no guarantee shafts will be replaced, regardless of mileage.
Last edited by Casbar on Sat Jul 23, 2022 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

The rear bevel box oil change is due every 2 years or 12,000 miles whichever comes first. In Gavj's case, the 2 years is up but the bike has only done 8,500 miles.
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

David. wrote: The rear bevel box oil change is due every 2 years or 12,000 miles whichever comes first. In Gavj's case, the 2 years is up but the bike has only done 8,500 miles.

Very useful, so what is your point? The bevel box oil needs changing then! Ok, see your point, I mentioned 12k and not 2 years, I'll try to be more pedantic next time.
Last edited by Casbar on Sat Jul 23, 2022 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gavj
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2020
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 15 times
Great Britain

Post by Gavj »

Might be a silly question but why would they check a RTp and not apply the same thinking to a RT? If one needs a drain hole surely they all do.....
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Gavj wrote:Why would they check an RTP and not apply the same thinking to an RT.
"The authorities' RT are subjected to above-average strain, for example when driving over high curbs."
Last edited by David. on Sat Jul 23, 2022 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BrianSF9732

Post by BrianSF9732 »

David’s question is mine also….
2019 R1250 RT in for oil/filter change before Colorado trip August 2021.
At 32,991 miles, replaced drive shaft, u joint, rubber boot….” Rusted “ together..
Done under warranty thank goodness…….$2,000 plus……
No explanation as to how/ why……..here in NW, Oregon, I ride 12 months a year with rain at times of course.
Will want to follow this more……….I was told there is nothing in BMW maintenance schedule concerning driveshaft…..but I’ll be having it checked annually…..
Wierpig
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 4 times
Great Britain

Post by Wierpig »

Theyre holding back on this. The seized shaft to bevel box splines is just as common on RTs as it is on GSs.
It happened on my last 2014 bike and Im monitoring it on my current 1250.
Not a safetey issue? Horseshit.

If you lose drive or break a UJ its a safety issue.