Brake servos running on

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
Batfastard
Has liked: 4 times
Great Britain

Brake servos running on

Post by Batfastard »

Hi. Sorry to be a newbie starting with a question.

Recently bought a 2005 R1200RT after having a break away from bikes for a couple of years. I believe the ABS has been bypassed, I know there is paperwork for it in the folder I got with the bike.

Problem started yesterday. Short run out and noticed what sounds like the brake servo's are running on after releasing the lever/foot brake. Checked levels all ok. Checked and could hear switches operating as should be. Anything else I should check? I would have thought these would have been bypassed along with ABS?

Thanks
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Re: Brake servos running on

Post by David. »

This video shows the servo and ABS being removed from a 2005 RT, BMW R1200RT IABS3 Servectomy - Whizzy brakes removal - YouTube

Might be worth viewing and comparing with what has been done on your bike.
Batfastard
Great Britain

Post by Batfastard »

Hi David. Thanks for the reply. I have a funny feeling that the ABS has not been removed, despite what i was told, but may have been repaired at some stage. My reasoning being I don't think the ABS can be removed without also removing the servos. The noise i am getting sounds live the servo 'running on' after brakes have been released

Looks like I may have to do it myself  :sueno:
Doctor T
Bike Model and Year: 2007 R1200RT SE
Has liked: 877 times
Been liked: 230 times
Great Britain

Post by Doctor T »

To bypass the ABS unit, the ABS doesn't have to be totally removed. The basics are just a couple of brake light switches, a "U" union, and a longer rear brake line. also a bit of wiring. Why convert to no ABS if the servo sounds to be working?. Have a look on nippy norman site who sells the bypass bits. They also have diagrams of how to fit. Have a look at the front where the pipes join to see if there is a "U" cooper union there. if so it's been bypassed.
Trust me I am a retired Doctor and lecturer at Oxford University of Structural and Mechanical/Electrical engineering.
Batfastard
Great Britain

Post by Batfastard »

Hi. Problem was the servos sound like they ran on after brakes were released. Unit is out now, just waiting for kit to arrive