Just bought an R1250RT - hence the join up!

New to the forum? Please introduce yourself here.
jesim1
Bike Model and Year: R1250RTLE 2022
Has liked: 50 times
Been liked: 28 times
Great Britain

Just bought an R1250RT - hence the join up!

Post by jesim1 »

New here as I've just bought a new R1250RT LE 2022

Last few bikes have all been BMWs - K series and a GS, just thought I'd get something a little lighter as the Big K series were brilliant, but a hell of a lot of motorcycle to slow down going into a corner in the Alps! So I'll sell a few K16 accessories and pick up a few for the RT.

Just done 100 miles so far, the weather is garbage, so it will be a while before I get it's first service done. I've got an original top box coming for it, and I've fitted a tail for the battery charging and power take off for the compressor - no idea why BMW don't just make the accessory DIN with a higher rate to support these :oops: Grip puppies are here now, but no rush to fit, I put them on all my bikes, but for the price of them they are not worth taking back off when it's time to sell them.

Anyway, I thought this may be worth a punt to get some ideas/accessories/information on the new steed.

Safe riding.

James

hammo
Bike Model and Year: 2019 1250rtle
Been liked: 20 times
Great Britain

Re: Just bought an R1250RT - hence the join up!

Post by hammo »

Welcome the forum one thing i would fit is a headlight protector well worth it.
David and Sally
Bike Model and Year: 2020 R1250RT LE
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Post by David and Sally »

Welcome :cheers:
mcrider
Bike Model and Year: 2022 R1250RT
United States of America

Post by mcrider »

Welcome. With a top case on, it is difficult for drivers following you to see your rear running light and brake light. Recommend buying the BMW top case brake light. Its not cheap but its an easy DIY installation. Then add a Skene Lights IQ-260 controller to turn the top case brake light into a running light and flashing brake light if legal in your area.
jesim1
Great Britain

Post by jesim1 »

Thanks, its' the BMW case with light which is coming, but flashing break lights are illegal in the UK, so it will remain standard :thumb:
Old Foxy
Subscriber
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 14 times
Great Britain

Post by Old Foxy »

James,

I moved from a K1600GTL to an R1250RT, for reasons similar to yours.

I have added bar mounted mirrors, headlight protector, fender extender, frame bung set, rear crash bars and had the most vulnerable painted surfaces covered by Paintguard. My dealer had already fitted the fly lead for the Optimate life-support system (for when it's raining......).

I hope you get as much enjoyment from your RT as I do.

Best wishes,

Old Foxy
burridge01
Bike Model and Year: Modified "16" R1200RT
Been liked: 192 times
Great Britain

Post by burridge01 »

jesim1 wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 6:46 pm Thanks, its' the BMW case with light which is coming, but flashing break lights are illegal in the UK, so it will remain standard :thumb:
I looked this up when I bought and fitted the Denali light kit for my RT.I read the following and have taken the rear flashing light to be legal.This is cut and pasted from Visordown..............

SINCE we published details of BMW’s ‘Dynamic Brake Light’ – a system that flashes during heavy braking to warn others you’re hard on the anchors – there’s been some discussion in the comments on whether or not it can be legal in the UK.

So we thought we'd clear it up. The answer, perhaps unsurprisingly, is that it is legal. In fact similar systems have been in use on cars for a few years. While not something that’s detailed in the UK’s own vehicle lighting regulations, the rules around the system are laid out in detail in European regulations that apply in the UK.

BMW’s system flashes its light at a rate of 5hz when the brakes come on hard at speeds over 50km/h (31mph) and goes on to automatically put the hazard lights on if the hard braking continues below 14km/h (9mph). Which matches just what the EU demands.

The key document is E/ECE/324 E/ECE/TRANS/505, Addendum 47, Regulation No. 48, Revision 6, dated June 2010.

Of course.

It’s entitled ‘Uniform provisions concerning the approval of vehicles with regard to the installation of lighting and light-signalling devices’ and, deep within its bowels, is contained the following definition:

2.28. "Emergency stop signal" means a signal to indicate to other road users to the rear of the vehicle that a high retardation force has been applied to the vehicle relative to the prevailing road conditions.

The document goes on to explain that it must be amber or red and that it must be a flashing light, and the automatic application of the hazard lights after an emergency stop is also described.

Related Articles
Further investigation reveals that details for the systems are laid out as follows.

6.23. EMERGENCY STOP SIGNAL

6.23.1. Presence

Optional

The emergency stop signal shall be given by the simultaneous operation of all the stop or direction-indicator lamps fitted as described in paragraph 6.22.7.

[followed by details as to the position and number of the lights]

6.23.7.1. All the lamps of the emergency stop signal shall flash in phase at a frequency of 4.0 ± 1.0 Hz.

6.23.7.1.1. However, if any of the lamps of the emergency stop signal to the rear of the vehicle use filament light sources the frequency shall be 4.0 +0.0/-1.0 Hz.

6.23.7.2. The emergency stop signal shall operate independently of other lamps.

6.23.7.3. The emergency stop signal shall be activated and deactivated automatically.

6.23.7.3.1. The emergency stop signal shall be activated only when the vehicle speed is above 50 km/h and the braking system is providing the emergency braking logic signal defined in Regulations Nos. 13 and 13-H.

6.23.7.3.2. The emergency stop signal shall be automatically deactivated if the emergency braking logic signal as defined in Regulations Nos. 13 and 13-H is no longer provided or if the hazard warning signal is activated.

Sign up for Visordown's weekly newsletter, Bugsplat, to get the best motorcycle news, road tests and features plus exclusive competitions and offers direct to your inbox. Register as a Visordown member here and tick the box for Bugsplat in your newsletter settings here.
jesim1
Great Britain

Post by jesim1 »

burridge01 wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 10:28 am
jesim1 wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 6:46 pm Thanks, its' the BMW case with light which is coming, but flashing break lights are illegal in the UK, so it will remain standard :thumb:
I looked this up when I bought and fitted the Denali light kit for my RT.I read the following and have taken the rear flashing light to be legal.
Yea, I know emergency flashing lights are ok, but I think the American one mentioned just flashes all the time under any braking, and I've heard several riders complain about others using it as it's very disconcerting when following them. So I may be wrong, but this is the system I believe to be illegal in the UK, not the emergency one :roll:
mcrider
Bike Model and Year: 2022 R1250RT
United States of America

Post by mcrider »

The Skene brake light controller I mentioned flashes the brake light 4 times then stays on constant. This makes it compliant with regulations in that other country nearby known as California. Other manufacturers make similar brake controllers; e.g. Hex EzCan. There are multiple settings you can program on these controllers.
burridge01
Bike Model and Year: Modified "16" R1200RT
Been liked: 192 times
Great Britain

Post by burridge01 »

jesim1 wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 4:41 pm
burridge01 wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 10:28 am
I looked this up when I bought and fitted the Denali light kit for my RT.I read the following and have taken the rear flashing light to be legal.
Yea, I know emergency flashing lights are ok, but I think the American one mentioned just flashes all the time under any braking, and I've heard several riders complain about others using it as it's very disconcerting when following them. So I may be wrong, but this is the system I believe to be illegal in the UK, not the emergency one :roll:
:roll: