Anyone with Kenda KM1 tires

Best tyres and oil for your R1200RT/R1250RT get other users opinions here.
tomfree
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2016
United States of America

Anyone with Kenda KM1 tires

Post by tomfree »

My new-to-me '16 RT came with a set of new-ish Kenda KM1 tires, and I'm not sure what to think about them. I don't have much mileage on the bike (under 50 miles), so I don't have anything to compare them with. I'm trying to find objective reviews of them on the web, but that's challenging. Tons of Kenda ads, a few "take them off immediately because every other Kenda tire I've tried is garbage", and that's about it.

I _think_ they have really soft sidewalls. The bike seems to "squirm" a bit at highway speeds, and turn in doesn't feel as crisp as I'd expect for this bike.

Thoughts/opinions?
'16 R1200RT | '22 BMW Zupra | '21 Audi Q5e |'16 Audi A4
Doctor T
Bike Model and Year: 2007 R1200RT SE
Has liked: 878 times
Been liked: 230 times
Great Britain

Re: Anyone with Kenda KM1 tires

Post by Doctor T »

Found this on www.tracer900.net
"Everyone seems to hate on Shinko tires too but that's what I put on my cruisers, both the XJ650 and FXRS. Shinko's were on the '06 Fatboy in Taiwan doing switchbacks in the mountains last time I was visiting family and never had an issue. It's definitely left me suspicious of how much "high-end" tires are just trying to make the marketing budget back, or passing the cost of swapping moldings for new designs onto the consumer. Fingers crossed for the Kenda." Another poster said they still have tread at 14000 miles without complaints.

Personally, i used Kenda in the past on my off road bike. They make good tires for this type of sport. My advice is as they are fitted is just use them and you may be surprised. They are a newish tyre only being for sale since Feb this years.
Trust me I am a retired Doctor and lecturer at Oxford University of Structural and Mechanical/Electrical engineering.
tomfree
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2016
United States of America

Post by tomfree »

Talked with a few folks, did some additional research. I think these are BRAND NEW tires, so they may still have the mold release compound on them. I've never had brand new tires on a bike before, but with car tires, you have to drive the vehicle to get it off the tires. This would explain the general feeling of "squirmy-ness" at highway speeds.
'16 R1200RT | '22 BMW Zupra | '21 Audi Q5e |'16 Audi A4
Doctor T
Great Britain

Post by Doctor T »

Sounds like they need scrubbing in. Pump tyres to 36f and 42r
Trust me I am a retired Doctor and lecturer at Oxford University of Structural and Mechanical/Electrical engineering.
Jim130
Bike Model and Year: 2014 RT
Been liked: 1 time
Great Britain

Post by Jim130 »

Just fitted a set, I've done a couple of hundred miles on mostly wet roads. So far they seem to be okay. At less than half the price of Michelin's I thought they were worth a try.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Doctor T
Great Britain

Post by Doctor T »

Like to see some real world testing on these.
Our Gee
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2011
Been liked: 24 times
Great Britain

Post by Our Gee »

Doctor T wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 3:50 pm Like to see some real world testing on these.
So would I Doc, trouble is that, generally speaking every time a "New" tyre from a premium brand is released on the market the Manufacturer pays for a plane load of Bike Journos to be whisked away to some warm sunny location such as the South of France with roads surfaced like Snooker Tables. Then out comes the "Glowing" reports that this years new "Michadunpirelmetzabridge" SmartPilotAttackingAngel is fantastic. Then it's up to Joe Public to really see just how good they are on Britain's embarrassingly disgraceful "real world" roads.
Doctor T
Great Britain

Post by Doctor T »

I stopped listening to Journos many years ago. If they give a bad review on a bike, tyre, etc they don't get asked back. You're not going to balls that up for a free holiday and booze.
MrHowler
Bike Model and Year: r1200rt 2006
United States of America

Post by MrHowler »

Squirmy may be shooting too fast. I just installed a pair of KM1's and on first ride felt the loose sensation. A few miles later, I was putting more body effect into my riding, from head tilt to over-lean. The handling, response, and stability became better than the Mi Pilots that were replaced. Hands down KM1 puts the sport in sport riding. Now to check longevity.