Camhead - Gear Linkage Lubrication

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Re: Camhead - Gear Linkage Lubrication

Post by David. »

Having now successfully completed this task, I have the following observations/comments.

Providing the cup & ball joints are known to be lubricated and the plastic (foam) washers are intact, I wouldn't rush to do it again. As posted above, the upper washer was missing and this joint showed signs of very minor rust/discolouration. The lower joint where the washer was intact showed evidence of assembly grease after 10 years and 43K miles. When it comes to the PTFE selector shaft bushes, the shaft itself looks like stainless steel with no signs of any corrosion. Most of the grease applied to the shaft/bushes is pushed out on reassembly. I would tend to agree that this grease will attract dirt and is probably unnecessary. Any gear selection problems I experienced are down to the position of the gearbox internals, not the external selector linkage.

Plastic (foam) washer.
Last edited by David. on Sun Dec 11, 2022 4:37 pm, edited 5 times in total.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

In this photo, the plastic (foam) washer is missing and from 2010 to 2012, the lugs on the frame are a different design and have been beefed up.

David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Found this used gear linkage on ebay, it shows the position of the washers and the condition of the shaft.