New to the R1200rt in the East Midlands UK

New to the forum? Please introduce yourself here.
audibob2
Bike Model and Year: 2015 R1200rt
Been liked: 14 times
Great Britain

New to the R1200rt in the East Midlands UK

Post by audibob2 »

HI all, I have recently purchased a 2015 R1200RT with 10,000 miles in Cherry Black.

I have owned a r100/7 and an R80 so have had some years with the boxer engine. This was a major part in my choosing the R1200RT.

My last two bikes were BMW K100 LT. These kept me a lot warmer in winter than the r1200rt, mostly due to the hot fuel returning the the tank,

thereby heating my legs.

I suffer from cold thighs on the RT.

But, she is a great ride, lots of tech to play with and loads of low down grunt. A power booster plug improved the low speed fueling, and a foot peg

lowering kit sorted the ergonomics for my short legs.

Why BMW didnt route some heating pipes under the side panels from the cooling system to warm the legs in winter beats me. The testers obviously

do not ride in winter..

But, a fun bike to ride, great handling and a responsive engine .

Bob
Dreadnought
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2018
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 4 times
Great Britain

Re: New to the R1200rt in the East Midlands UK

Post by Dreadnought »

Probably due to weight, design, testing, manufacturing costs and actual use, BMW know that the majority of the bikes are ridden in summer, therefore, why add something that 95% of the riders wouldn't want, I find the heated seat and heated grips more than enough, perhaps you need to invest in some headed clothing.
Doctor T
Bike Model and Year: 2007 R1200RT SE
Has liked: 878 times
Been liked: 230 times
Great Britain

Re: New to the R1200rt in the East Midlands UK

Post by Doctor T »

A warm welcome from the south
Trust me I am a retired Doctor and lecturer at Oxford University of Structural and Mechanical/Electrical engineering.