insurace time again

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
Doctor T
Bike Model and Year: 2007 R1200RT SE
Has liked: 878 times
Been liked: 230 times
Great Britain

insurace time again

Post by Doctor T »

Well, it's that time again. The dreaded insurance renewal.
Who are you insured with? Does it include full EU recovery? and how much do you pay?
EU breakdown came in handy 8 years ago when my crank decided to snap. I was in Spain and got recovered back to the UK for free under the cover. Even covered ferry costs. Am with Carol Nash at the moment. Their renewal is £199.22 with £500 excess. This is based on 5 years of no claims.
The cheapest so far is Swinton's with full EU cover for £94.41 with £500 excess.
Trust me I am a retired Doctor and lecturer at Oxford University of Structural and Mechanical/Electrical engineering.
David and Sally
Bike Model and Year: 2020 R1250RT LE
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Re: insurace time again

Post by David and Sally »

I have used Bike Sure recently for three policies. Found them easy to deal with and very helpful.

Not always the cheapest though.
Doctor T
Great Britain

Post by Doctor T »

David and Sally wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 7:06 pm I have used Bike Sure recently for three policies. Found them easy to deal with and very helpful.

Not always the cheapest though.
No overly dear. £129.58 per year :cheers:
Trust me I am a retired Doctor and lecturer at Oxford University of Structural and Mechanical/Electrical engineering.
Doctor T
Great Britain

Post by Doctor T »

Just got a quote from BMW Motorrad. They state that they use Devitt. Going straight to Devitt with no breakdown it's £59.41 whereas BMW quoted £100.08. That's a £40.67 difference.
sakm
Administrator
Bike Model and Year: 2016 R1200RT
Has liked: 436 times
Been liked: 388 times
Great Britain

Post by sakm »

I am with Bennett's and have been for the last 8 years or so

I think I paid £208 with all the bells and whistles
Steve398
Bike Model and Year: R1200RTLC, 2018
Has liked: 261 times
Been liked: 218 times
Isle of Wight

Post by Steve398 »

I'm with Motorrad but it's due at the end of January so I'll give Devitts a ring, thanks for the heads-up! :cheers:
Glenn
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT LE 2018
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 83 times
Great Britain

Post by Glenn »

It's near impossible to compare quotes between owners unless all details are exactly the same.
Doctor T
Great Britain

Post by Doctor T »

It's not all about quotes but also about customer service. As for prices, we are mostly in the 40 to 60 year bracket and unless you live in big cities there is not a lot of difference in costs. I've tried this by testing different postcodes across the country last night using the same 5 years NCB and riding since 1980. Manchester, Liverpool, and Sheffield areas are more costly to insure than anywhere within the M25. Some insurances are a tiny bit cheaper if no passengers and not able to ride other bikes. Only between £5 -£10 cheaper.
Doctor T
Great Britain

Post by Doctor T »

Insurance sorted. After a lot of research, which included reading feedback and reviews i chose to go with BeMoto in Peterborough. I could only find 1 negative review and that was a long time to answer the phone. I called them 3 times and got through straightaway each time. I went with their Titanium package that included Legal, Full 90 day European RAC breakdown, and clothing cover for £130.14 with a 3000 miles limit and £400 excess. There were cheaper quotes from the likes of Devitt and Swinton but i had car insurance claims with them in the past and both dragged the claims on leaving me out of pocket.
Another insurance company i used 2 years ago was Onecall. For some reason, they knocked my No claims back a year even though they had proof i had more. You can't call them, everything is done via online chat. Took me over 2 days to contact them and then it took hours to sort things out. Which the didn't. They may be cheap but the customer service is crap.

Thank chaps for all your help :cheers:
MikeS
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 44 times
Great Britain

Post by MikeS »

Doctor T wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 3:55 pm Insurance sorted. After a lot of research, which included reading feedback and reviews i chose to go with BeMoto in Peterborough. I could only find 1 negative review and that was a long time to answer the phone. I called them 3 times and got through straightaway each time. I went with their Titanium package that included Legal, Full 90 day European RAC breakdown, and clothing cover for £130.14 with a 3000 miles limit and £400 excess. There were cheaper quotes from the likes of Devitt and Swinton but i had car insurance claims with them in the past and both dragged the claims on leaving me out of pocket.
Another insurance company i used 2 years ago was Onecall. For some reason, they knocked my No claims back a year even though they had proof i had more. You can't call them, everything is done via online chat. Took me over 2 days to contact them and then it took hours to sort things out. Which the didn't. They may be cheap but the customer service is crap.

That's disappointing, with Onecall at the moment. Used them because they seemed to get good reviews. The only time I used the online chat got a prompt response. Have to think again for next year's policy.
Doctor T
Great Britain

Post by Doctor T »

MikeS wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 6:32 pm
Doctor T wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 3:55 pm Insurance sorted. After a lot of research, which included reading feedback and reviews i chose to go with BeMoto in Peterborough. I could only find 1 negative review and that was a long time to answer the phone. I called them 3 times and got through straightaway each time. I went with their Titanium package that included Legal, Full 90 day European RAC breakdown, and clothing cover for £130.14 with a 3000 miles limit and £400 excess. There were cheaper quotes from the likes of Devitt and Swinton but i had car insurance claims with them in the past and both dragged the claims on leaving me out of pocket.
Another insurance company i used 2 years ago was Onecall. For some reason, they knocked my No claims back a year even though they had proof i had more. You can't call them, everything is done via online chat. Took me over 2 days to contact them and then it took hours to sort things out. Which they didn't. They may be cheap but the customer service is crap.

That's disappointing, with Onecall at the moment. Used them because they seemed to get good reviews. The only time I used the online chat got a prompt response. Have to think again for next year's policy.
You have to remember this is only my experience with Onecall. I will say ive heard the same complaints from other bikers.
Question
Why do insurance brokers want to know if i belong to a club? I used to belong to MAG and BMF back in the 80'. This never gave me any discounts. I wonder if i would get a discount if i told them i belonged to a back patch club?.
MikeS
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 44 times
Great Britain

Post by MikeS »

Just tried to increase my agreed mileage with Onecall (8000 to 10000) for the remainder of the policy in June. Online portal worked ok but they refused to make the change. Cancelled the auto-renewal and will shop around again.
burridge01
Bike Model and Year: Modified "16" R1200RT
Been liked: 192 times
Great Britain

Post by burridge01 »

Have just insured the RT with BikeSure.
I got a quote from last years provider APlan who I had a multi bike policy.
GSX1250
GSF1250
R1200RT with decatted pipe and PowerCommander V fitted
6 years ncd =£245
This year just for the RT they wanted £640 :o due to the non-fault accident in May last year,robbing bastards :mad:

BikeSure with mods & accident =£177......7 years ncd.
Steve398
Bike Model and Year: R1200RTLC, 2018
Has liked: 261 times
Been liked: 218 times
Isle of Wight

Post by Steve398 »

MikeS wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 11:22 am Just tried to increase my agreed mileage with Onecall (8000 to 10000) for the remainder of the policy in June. Online portal worked ok but they refused to make the change. Cancelled the auto-renewal and will shop around again.
I put my mileage up with Motorrad ins this year, it raised the quote considerably.
Doctor T
Great Britain

Post by Doctor T »

Just raised my mileage to 10k per year with BeMoto. No increase in premiums. :thumb: to them again