A French tyre test - A bit long but interesting.

Best tyres and oil for your R1200RT/R1250RT get other users opinions here.
Steve398
Bike Model and Year: R1200RTLC, 2018
Has liked: 261 times
Been liked: 218 times
Isle of Wight

A French tyre test - A bit long but interesting.

Post by Steve398 »

I found this on another forum and waded through it. The tests are conducted on the following tyres:

 MICHELIN Road 5 2 CT +
 CONTINENTAL ContiRoadAttack 3
 PIRELLI Gran Turismo Angel GT 2
 METZELER Roadtec 01
 DUNLOP Roadsmart 3
 BRIDGESTONE Battlax Sport Touring T32

To précis the report, the T32’s perform superbly, in fact better in most tests than the others. So grab a cuppa and have a read if you fancy .

https://grippingstories.com/wp-content/ ... G2_sub.pdf
beemerboy9
Bike Model and Year: 1250RT 2019
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Re: A French tyre test - A bit long but interesting.

Post by beemerboy9 »

I am delighted that a Bridgestone tyre came out top at Bridgestone test track.

Quite the opposite to a result appearing in Motorrad issue 7/2022 where the T32 managed a wet lap time of 1:18.7 compared to a 1:15.1 on the Michelin Road 6GT. However the T32 had the shortest wet braking distance. Motorrad used a BMW R1250 as the reference machine.
Having mentioned lap-times, intense competition between the manufacturers means that the are no bad touring tyres amongst the major players. In the Motorrad test the joint winners (Michelin, Dunlop) scored 234 points of 250 and the 5th placed T32 scored 229.
So there's nothing in it really. Buy what you can get for a decent price.
Motorrad have been conducting tyre tests for years......
John Bentall
Doctor T
Bike Model and Year: 2007 R1200RT SE
Has liked: 878 times
Been liked: 230 times
Great Britain

Post by Doctor T »

Not surprised Bridgestone came out top as it was on one of their tracks. This may be a bit biased?. Their conclusion for the RoadTec 01 and Road 5 is the opposite of the MCN tyre test. Anyway tests like this have no relationship to real road tests. Most road surfaces are nothing like track tarmac. I will agree that there is nothing like a bad tyre coming from large brands these days.
Trust me I am a retired Doctor and lecturer at Oxford University of Structural and Mechanical/Electrical engineering.
beemerboy9
Bike Model and Year: 1250RT 2019
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Post by beemerboy9 »

beemerboy9 wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 10:25 pm I am delighted that a Bridgestone tyre came out top at Bridgestone test track.

Quite the opposite to a result appearing in Motorrad issue 7/2022 where the T32 managed a wet lap time of 1:18.7 compared to a 1:15.1 on the Michelin Road 6GT. However the T32 had the shortest wet braking distance. Motorrad used a BMW R1250 as the reference machine.
Having mentioned lap-times, intense competition between the manufacturers means that the are no bad touring tyres amongst the major players. In the Motorrad test the joint winners (Michelin, Dunlop) scored 234 points of 250 and the 5th placed T32 scored 229.
So there's nothing in it really. Buy what you can get for a decent price.
Motorrad have been conducting tyre tests for years......
In the quoted Motorrad Touring Tyre test, the team did not bother to to a dry road handling test.
The testers claimed that the grip levels were so much greater that any "sane" rider would attempt on the road that there was no point.
John Bentall