General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Doctor T
Bike Model and Year: 2007 R1200RT SE
Has liked: 909 times
Been liked: 239 times
Great Britain

Darn Fuel strip

Post by Doctor T »

Well, that darn fuel strip is gone hay wall. The gauge tells me i have half a tank and 550 miles(i wish) left when more or less empty. If i fill it to the brim it tells me ive got around the correct miles left but as the gauge goes down i gain more miles left in the tank and will only drop to half full. Zapping has no effect on the strip.
Lucky for me it is still under the 2 years warranty due to the PO paid to have a new one fitted. It's funny how this part that is paid for carries a 2 year warranty but if carried under warranty claim only comes with a 1 year warranty.
Spoke to Shane the workshop manager of Chandler BMW Motorrad in Brighton. He cleared up a couple of questions for me. One was about the above warranty and if it was true the part has been updated. He couldn't off the top of his head say if the strip has been changed or uprated but the part number had been changed. Telling him that my bike has had 6/7 new fuel strips fitted since 2007, and he commented that they only last about a year and longer than that you're lucky.
Anyway booked in for the 5th of Jan and if needed i will have a loan bike available.
Trust me I am a retired Doctor and lecturer at Oxford University of Structural and Mechanical/Electrical engineering.
BBT6000
Bike Model and Year: RT1200
Has liked: 1 time
Great Britain

Re: Darn Fuel strip

Post by BBT6000 »

I was told that the strip had been replaced with a new design, but that availability was poor due to demand. This was back in October. I’ll be trying again in a couple of months to see if I can get mine booked in. It’ll be another painful £200, but necessary for the peace of mind of having a working fuel gauge again.
vesper1957
Bike Model and Year: RT1200 2009
Been liked: 1 time
Australia

Post by vesper1957 »

Here in Australia there are plenty of the 'new improved' fuel strip in stock at BMW head office in Melbourne

The parts manager at my local dealer said the fuel strip was improved and it had a new part number to make it different from the old version

I had my original fuel strip replaced a few weeks ago and it is working great , very accurate. Of course for $600 AUD fitted it would want to!

I wanted a working fuel gauge so I was happy to spend the cash. Plus it has a 2 year parts and Labor warranty
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

vesper1957 wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 9:55 amThe parts manager at my local dealer said the fuel strip was improved and it had a new part number to make it different from the old version.
Both RealOEM and Max BMW give a part # of 16 14 7 675 547, is this the old or new part #.

Looks like the new part # could well be 16 14 1 600 132, https://www.bmwsporttouring.com/topic/1 ... 1-600-132/

For £50, a fuel sensor emulator will remove the warning light and show the tank as being full. Would have to use the trip mileage and fill up as necessary, not ideal but a lower cost solution, https://www.motorworks.co.uk/fuel-senso ... 000-1.html
vesper1957
Bike Model and Year: RT1200 2009
Been liked: 1 time
Australia

Post by vesper1957 »

The parts guy told me the 'new' fuel strip part number was
16 14 1 600 132
Doctor T
Bike Model and Year: 2007 R1200RT SE
Has liked: 909 times
Been liked: 239 times
Great Britain

Post by Doctor T »

Well its a day out for me. I've asked if they could loan me a transconti or a grand America that i know they have on their customer loan bikes. Told them ive only got little legs so a GS is out of the question. Been told both should be available on the day.

HAPPY CHRISTMAS AND SEE YOU IN THE NEW YEAR. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Trust me I am a retired Doctor and lecturer at Oxford University of Structural and Mechanical/Electrical engineering.