Rear pads gone, completely…down to metal…

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Re: Rear pads gone, completely…down to metal…

Post by David. »

exportman wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 2:16 pmI had similar mileage from both brakes and tyres on other larger bikes.
I wouldn't like to think that I was changing the brake pads at the same time as the tyres.

You'd think that better tyre mileage would equate to better brake pad miles but this doesn't seem to be the case.
exportman
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2023
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 40 times
Great Britain

Re: Rear pads gone, completely…down to metal…

Post by exportman »

David. wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 4:27 pm I wouldn't like to think that I was changing the brake pads at the same time as the tyres.

You'd think that better tyre mileage would equate to better brake pad miles but this doesn't seem to be the case.
Lot of city riding means lots of slow speed trickling to a stop often means using the back brake, in Manchester city centre where often its less than 100 metres between lights that can be a lot of stopping. Front pads seem to last for ever but the back are a different matter. Guess its just the way it goes.

On my car the front pads wear first. On my wifes car its the rears, first car I have come across that does this but its a mini cooper and she like to take corners spiritedly so stability controls applies brake to the inner rear wheel. Car corners like a rear wheel drive almost but costs for brake pads