Saddle bag / Sidecase Lock

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
CrouseKa
Bike Model and Year: 14 R1200RT
United States of America

Saddle bag / Sidecase Lock

Post by CrouseKa »

Has anybody had an issue with the saddlebag lock. My left saddlebag won't unlatch when the saddlebag is seated on the bike, but works fine when it is removed. Button feels like the key is "Locked" regardless of position when the saddlebag is positioned on the bike. Fortunately, it works once removed from the bike and fortunately the release mechanism (to remove saddlebag from the bike) works normally too. Any tips? Is this what leads to needing to replace the lock that I have heard someone marking as an issue?

Thanks
Keith
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Re: Saddle bag / Sidecase Lock

Post by Casbar »

Had the same problem on panniers on a 21 1250RT. Would seem to lock themselves. Read on another forum it is due to the pannier maybe being out of alignment and the button under the front mounting being depressed. This is the button that the central locking actuator pushes up, hence if you remove the bag, the button isn't depressed. Couldn't see how the button was being pushed in, especially as our bike didn't have central locking. Anyway, we sprayed the button and also with the bag open from the inside, sprayed graphite spray into the locking mechanism. The bags have been fine now for nearly a month.
CrouseKa
Bike Model and Year: 14 R1200RT
United States of America

Re: Saddle bag / Sidecase Lock

Post by CrouseKa »

Well, I found the source of my problem. When removing the painted panels (painted the whole thing), I didn't get the panel under the sidecase installed correctly. Apparently with a slightly out of alignment fitting of the sidecase, the mechanism does not work properly. I still have no idea what is making it do what it did, but fixing the way it sits on the frame fixed the problem.

Thanks!