Swingarm lower suspension protection

Got any tips and tricks for BMW R1200RT/R1250RT owners? feel free to share them here.
Steve398
Bike Model and Year: R1200RTLC, 2018
Has liked: 261 times
Been liked: 217 times
Isle of Wight

Re: Swingarm lower suspension protection

Post by Steve398 »

David. wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 10:31 am [img]
The "doubled up" fender extender leaves an amount of unsupported plastic on the front mudguard. It's rigid and close to the ground.
I agree, I had an American made ‘fender extender’ on my Pan, it worked a treat but I replaced 2 front mudguards because of the extra strain from wind pressure cracked the plastic around the mudguard mounting bolts.

I think the extended mudflap on the rear mudguard may be the most satisfactory solution for the shock mount, but it needs further investigation to see if it’s possible without fouling.
Excellence
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2021
Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 29 times
Great Britain

Post by Excellence »

On my Pan'13 I used the full depth extender which ended about 2" below the chin. It should have stopped the lot but it ended up causing the bottom corners of the radiator to clog with crud - that led to a new radiator - poor aerodynamics suck!! I reckon the pressure from down below the calipers shoved the muck back up partway and it just flowed out the edges. The avant extender I've fitted to the RT has a really good edge profile that might prevent that. Still not had the chance to try the pivot crud guard but we're hoping for a run up towards the Cairngorms on Sunday morning so that'll be a good test! 😄
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

David. wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 7:05 amA solution I've seen on a Camhead to protect the exhaust system and centre stand is to fit a mudflap to the rear of the sump. The mounting points used were the two rear bolt holes which a bash plate would be fitted to.
I knew that I'd seen a photo somewhere.

Excellence
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2021
Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 29 times
Great Britain

Post by Excellence »

First ride out since Christmas and the pivot protection has worked but I'm going to redo it to be a bit wider. It stopped the big crud well but I'm not happy that it'll fully stop the salt laden mist that hits the bottom of the bike.
When I replace it I'll give the pivot a really good clean then lubricate and coat the exposed parts of the pin with rubber grease - highly effective at water rejection and it doesn't move once it's on there.
I'm going also to look at copying the excellent flap hanging from the back of the sump and shown in the photo above.
The front flap continues to work well to protect the underside of the sump though I'm going to widen that too.
It was a lovely ride to the Cairngorms with a coffee and banjo at Goodbrands thrown in for good measure!! So nice to be able to ride again though there was still a fair bit of ice, grit and snow around the place.
Thank goodness for snow foam!!
Rossyuk39
Bike Model and Year: RT 2015
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 5 times
Great Britain

Post by Rossyuk39 »

I have recently has my suspension replaced by Lukasz at T-Tech Suspension. I decided to purchase the rear spring in addition to the quoted spec/price (when we looked at the rear spring, although it was not "bad" there was signs of corrosion starting, so whilst the bike was stripped down, it was a no brainer to have a new spring as well.

Due to the "default" equipment I carry, Lukasz increased the preload on the rear unit. I now use "One-up" instead of "One-up with luggage" & the handling is vastly better & easily noticeable. We discussed the front unit & I made a spring change to that as well. So my suspension set up is "One-up" & "normal" damping.

I secured the rubber "mat" as shown in the photo, I have been out yesterday in the numerous downpours we had, since inspected the bottom of the rear unit & whilst it is not too cruddy (mainly due to the front mudguard I would suggest) I can see that over time, if not cleaned regularly, the same fate of the bottom bush seizing may happen.

To try & overcome this, I have purchased a section of 2mm rubber (200mm x 200mm) for £6 & will over the next few days get the bike raised on the ramp, drop the silencer out & attach a portion of the rubber to the front side of the swinging arm (opposite the matting) to protect the bottom of the unit.

When I know the "farkle" is working, I will upload another photo. (Apologies, I do not know how to rotate the uploaded image into the correct orientation)

Take care & stay safe all 😎👍 ...
2015LC.JPG
2015LC.JPG (475.28 KiB) Viewed 931 times
Keep on the grey bits .....Rossy
Rossyuk39
Great Britain

Post by Rossyuk39 »

David. wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 10:31 am Image Image

The "doubled up" fender extender leaves an amount of unsupported plastic on the front mudguard. It's rigid and close to the ground.
No issues with the "doubled up" front mudguard, - Advent extender & a Pyramid extender (fell off a job bike 😇) it is held in place by 3 plastic push rivets, which gives it some flex if required & it has more than enough ground clearance, even if the front tyre deflated ... 😇
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Rossyuk39 wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 2:19 amI secured the rubber "mat" as shown in the photo.
How is the rubber mat secured. Was the rear shock splash guard retained when the unit was overhauled.

burridge01
Bike Model and Year: Modified "16" R1200RT
Been liked: 192 times
Great Britain

Post by burridge01 »

1 week from ordering to receiving from China, quicker than the Royal Mail :oops: .
Only 1 issue and that's there's no instructions to fit,hopefully straight forward enough.
When I get round to fitting them in a couple of month's I'll see what you've all concocted to protect the shock ,I might even get an old hugger from somewhere and see if I can adapt it in some way,bit like a GS one :thumb:
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

burridge01 wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 1:34 pmOnly 1 issue and that's there's no instructions to fit, hopefully straight forward enough.
When viewing the fitting instructions, the mounting points are the rear footrest hanger bolts. (Can't find them again).

These photos may be helpful.

burridge01
Great Britain

Post by burridge01 »

With the help of the photos it should be pretty straightforward :thumb:
7vwh
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2014
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 33 times
Great Britain

Post by 7vwh »

burridge01 wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 2:02 pm With the help of the photos it should be pretty straightforward :thumb:
https://puig.tv/uploads/products/600343 ... ctions.pdf
burridge01
Great Britain

Post by burridge01 »

Thank you sir :thumb:
Rossyuk39
Great Britain

Post by Rossyuk39 »

David. wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 10:52 am How is the rubber mat secured. Was the rear shock splash guard retained when the unit was overhauled.

Hi David,

Yes, the rear splash guard was taken off the original shock when it was removed from the bike & you can see it above my matting, it is the dark black oval shaped item, the new rear shock spring (white) can just be seen as well (which is held on with Sugru - https://www.amazon.co.uk/I000949-Moldab ... C78&sr=8-3

I have also used Evo-Stik epoxy putty - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Evo-Stik-32012 ... 78&sr=8-17 but I do prefer Sugru, (because with some applied heat from a heat gun it can be removed, the only issue I find is that I do not buy in "bulk" as it has an expiry date & if its "out" then it rarely works, you can be rubbing it & trying to mould it to no avail).

I hope that helps ... 👍
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Steve398 wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 7:03 pmT-Tech pointed out that the lower mounting collects spray and crud causing the mount to seize.
What exactly is seizing, if it is the swing arm/shock pivot bolt through the shock bottom eye, then how about removing the bolt and lubricating it.
Doctor T
Bike Model and Year: 2007 R1200RT SE
Has liked: 878 times
Been liked: 230 times
Great Britain

Post by Doctor T »

Found this on Aliexpress and wonder if this may fit. It states it for FOR BMW R1200R R1200RS LC R1250R R1250RS 2015-2016-2017-2018-2019-2020-2021
Wunderlich copy again. £4285 with £5.38 postage.
With a bit of bending and cutting you can make anything fit. There may be a splash guard listed on Ali but haven't found it yet.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001 ... 5xAPW2yKrH
Trust me I am a retired Doctor and lecturer at Oxford University of Structural and Mechanical/Electrical engineering.