Hill Start Control

Got any tips and tricks for BMW R1200RT/R1250RT owners? feel free to share them here.
Twisty Road
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2017
Been liked: 4 times
United States of America

Hill Start Control

Post by Twisty Road »

I've tried a number of times and different ways to activate the Hill Start Control while stopped on an incline. Succeeded once by accident but don't know what I did. Seems like foot firmly on rear brake pedal then squeeze and release front brake lever should do it. My bike is a new to me 2017 R1200RT with all the options.

Does it only activate on really steep inclines?

The owners manual states

Firmly pull and then release
handbrake lever 1.
Telltale light for
Hill Start Control appears in
the display.
Hill Start Control is activated.
Pull handbrake lever 1 again to
switch off Hill Start Control.

NOTICE
Hill Start Control is deactivated
automatically when the motorcycle
pulls away.

The 'General' waning light and
the indicator light show briefly
in the display and the indicator
light for Hill Start Control goes
out when the brakes are fully
released.
Hill Start Control is switched
off.
sakm
Administrator
Bike Model and Year: 2016 R1200RT
Has liked: 433 times
Been liked: 388 times
Great Britain

Re: Hill Start Control

Post by sakm »

Mine activate on even the slightest incline

Its simple ride along come to a stop pull the FRONT brake lever hard and let go you will see a H in a circle on the dash on the left hand side this indicated the Hill hold is active

To release it pull the front brake lever and let go
Or set off but with a bit more throttle than usual and you feel it seem to struggle but just keep going and it will release and allow you to ride off
Twisty Road
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2017
Been liked: 4 times
United States of America

Post by Twisty Road »

Thanks sakm. I'll give your method a try on my next ride. I usually roll up to a stop with the front brake. Sounds like I need to fully stop then quickly release then reapply the front brake.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

sakm wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:25 pmTo release it pull the front brake lever and let go. Or set off but with a bit more throttle than usual and you feel it seem to struggle but just keep going and it will release and allow you to ride off.
Which method do most folks use. On a steep incline, it wouldn't be unknown to stall and drop the bike when trying to set off.
sakm
Administrator
Great Britain

Post by sakm »

David. wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:35 pm Which method do most folks use. On a steep incline, it wouldn't be unknown to stall and drop the bike when trying to set off.
It's personal choice on which method you use

I use a combination of both depending on the loading of the bike and the incline etc
Nick Evans
Bike Model and Year: 2009 R1200RT
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 6 times
Great Britain

Post by Nick Evans »

You dont need to be on an incline, it will do it anywhere. I use it at traffic lights sometimes.

To engage, pull the front brake lever quite hard, you just need to bump it, and if you have just braked to a stop you do not need to release prior to bumping the lever.

to release, either bump the lever quite hard again (the H goes off in the display) or rev and let the clutch out as you would normally do. Sometimes the bike will shoot off a bit if you let the system do the release, so beware!
sakm
Administrator
Great Britain

Post by sakm »

Twisty Road wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:31 pm Thanks sakm. I'll give your method a try on my next ride. I usually roll up to a stop with the front brake. Sounds like I need to fully stop then quickly release then reapply the front brake.
No no need to do that

pull up to a stop then just pull the brake hard no need to release it and then pull it hard again

stop pull the lever let go job done :thumb:
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Having watched a few different videos about HSC, one thing that hasn't been mentioned is looking for the flashing (H) when setting off. This appears to be the point where the bike is being held on the clutch/throttle and the HSC is about to release. Just like you would if holding the bike manually on the rear footbrake when doing a hill start. Releasing the brake when the clutch/throttle is holding the bike to prevent it rolling backwards. With HSC, this method seems to give a smoother start when setting off.
hammo
Bike Model and Year: 2019 1250rtle
Been liked: 20 times
Great Britain

Post by hammo »

Never had any problem with mine does exactly like the manual states . One of the better extra,s on the RT .
sakm
Administrator
Great Britain

Post by sakm »

David. wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 9:46 am Having watched a few different videos about HSC, one thing that hasn't been mentioned is looking for the flashing (H) when setting off. This appears to be the point where the bike is being held on the clutch/throttle and the HSC is about to release. Just like you would if holding the bike manually on the rear footbrake when doing a hill start. Releasing the brake when the clutch/throttle is holding the bike to prevent it rolling backwards. With HSC, this method seems to give a smoother start when setting off.
Yes thats what happens but you can feel whats going on and the flashing H means nothing to be honest as its flashes about 3 times and your off but I tend to watch the road rather than watch for the light on the dash in my opinion its a bit of a distraction
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Nick Evans wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:53 pmSometimes the bike will shoot off a bit if you let the system do the release, so beware!
Why does this happen, doesn't sound very safe.
exportman
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2023
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 40 times
Great Britain

Post by exportman »

I use it quite frequently but once on a very steep up hill stop it didnt release properly when I pulled the front brake leave and I did a kangaroo impression through the junction. Wasn't funny for me at the time but the rider following me thought it was impressive :lol:
audibob2
Bike Model and Year: 2015 R1200rt
Been liked: 14 times
Great Britain

Post by audibob2 »

I thought this was a gimmick as first, but I find myself using it a lot waiting at traffic lights. It is useful to be able to take both hands off and relax

until time to go. Using the Hill start control on a hill, I either pull away cleanly or pogo . I find it hard to get it right every time.

So now I hill start as before..
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

audibob2 wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:13 pmUsing the hill start control on a hill, I either pull away cleanly or pogo. I find it hard to get it right every time.
Could this be compounded by the clutch biting point changing from cold to engine at normal temperature.
sakm
Administrator
Great Britain

Post by sakm »

David. wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 4:49 am Could this be compounded by the clutch biting point changing from cold to engine at normal temperature.
I don't think it would be as I have had the kangaroo effect a few times and my clutch biting point doesn't move