Is the extended warranty worth it?

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
MikeS
Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 49 times
Great Britain

Is the extended warranty worth it?

Post by MikeS »

I know people have debated the merits of the extended warranty before and I've always taken it out.

However, todays experience makes me question the value of it.

Took my bike into North Oxford for a starter button issue (described on another thread). Videoed the problem because it was bound to correct itself at the dealers (which it did).
Got to the desk to be told we charge 99 quid for diagnostics just to look at it. 100 quid excess on the policy if there's a faulty part. So 200 quid straight off.

Couldn't replicate the fault (showed them the video to demonstrate it was there) but there was a fault code showing which was the likely culprit. Could be investigated/corrected but may incur several hours labour to track down and if not attributable to a faulty component I'd be liable for the bill.

So what's point of the warranty? I can show them there's a fault but I'm not covered for the repair. Must be in the small print.

Bit of a rant I know.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Re: Is the extended warranty worth it?

Post by David. »

MikeS wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 5:02 pmCould be investigated/corrected but may incur several hours labour to track down and if not attributable to a faulty component I'd be liable for the bill.
Within the T&C's it says, "Reasonable diagnostic charges will only be accepted as part of a valid claim".

The fault is, the bike won't start. What could be the cause other than a fault on the bike.

My suggestion, although not very satisfactory is to wait until the fault occurs again and call out BMW Recovery. Don't switch off/on the ignition which seems to reset the fault. Letting them diagnose it while the fault is present.

"There is no excess payable for valid claims under the BMW Motorrad Roadside Assistance element of your policy".
MikeS wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 5:02 pmThere was a fault code showing which was the likely culprit.
What was the fault code and was it cleared.
MikeS
Great Britain

Post by MikeS »

Mixture Preparation Fault- whatever that means. Yes it was cleared.

I think the simple answer is not to use the kill switch to stop and start the bike. I'll probably part ex the bike in the next 12 months so hopefully it won't be a problem.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

MikeS wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 5:57 pmMixture Preparation Fault- whatever that means. Yes it was cleared.
Did they bill you to clear the fault.
MikeS
Great Britain

Post by MikeS »

Push the bike into the workshop, plug it into the computer, print out the fault, clear the fault, test the battery and push it back out of the workshop.

70 quid. At least they gave me a discount, should have been a 100 (minimum charge). What have I got to moan about?
laughingboy
Bike Model and Year: 2005 R1200RT
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 2 times
Great Britain

Post by laughingboy »

In reply to extended warranty and is it worth it.......yes would be my answer, especially on an older second hand bike bought at the dealership. I didn't take up the offer of extending the warranty and several months later I needed a replacement lambada sensor, followed by a fuel controller months after that.
Probably within the extended warranty period I sustained leaking oil seals from the rear of the engine, so looking back I wished I'd taken out the warranty, bearing in mind the bike was 10 years old when I bought it. I believe the cost of the extended warranty was around £300.
Tomorrow's another day  :-)
Elkinell
Bike Model and Year: 2020 R1250RT
Has liked: 85 times
Been liked: 43 times
Great Britain

Post by Elkinell »

laughingboy wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 5:28 pm In reply to extended warranty and is it worth it.......yes would be my answer, especially on an older second hand bike bought at the dealership. I didn't take up the offer of extending the warranty and several months later I needed a replacement lambada sensor, followed by a fuel controller months after that.
Probably within the extended warranty period I sustained leaking oil seals from the rear of the engine, so looking back I wished I'd taken out the warranty, bearing in mind the bike was 10 years old when I bought it. I believe the cost of the extended warranty was around £300.
As far as I am aware, the Motorrad extended warranty is limited to ten yrs/100,000 miles.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Elkinell wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 12:18 amAs far as I am aware, the Motorrad extended warranty is limited to ten years/100,000 miles.
There is no age limit and the mileage at the start of cover needs to be less than 80,000.

I'll be taking out a new (previously lapsed) policy on the 1st March (to start on 1st April) for my 11 year old 2012 Camhead.

At £35 per month for 7 months, (with £100 excess inc. Roadside Assistance), I think it's worth it.

https://www.motorrad-warranty.co.uk/Warranty
Elkinell
Bike Model and Year: 2020 R1250RT
Has liked: 85 times
Been liked: 43 times
Great Britain

Post by Elkinell »

David. wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 12:48 am There is no age limit and the mileage at the start of cover needs to be less than 80,000.

I'll be taking out a new (previously lapsed) policy on the 1st March (to start on 1st April) for my 11 year old 2012 Camhead.

At £35 per month for 7 months, (with £100 excess inc. Roadside Assistance), I think it's worth it.

https://www.motorrad-warranty.co.uk/Warranty
I took out a warranty with Motorrad treated as a previously lapsed policy for my K1600. I bought it from a Honda dealer and they supplied a two year warranty with some other firm, as soon as it expired I was on the phone to Motorrad which stared out at £40 a month and went up by a quid a year but It didn't have an excess on it. Worth every penny in my opinion though.