proshift in turns and down I go

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
JBA111
Bike Model and Year: RT 2015
United States of America

proshift in turns and down I go

Post by JBA111 »

I got a 2015 RT and have dropped it several times,, at a light and turning sharp left got half thru and touched the shifter , she nails 2nd gear loses power and down she goes, Im 72 yrs old so all I can do is step off and let her lay over. my driveway is a preaty sharp hill and as I turned in I evidently touched the shifter and down she went.
honestly it would not bother me to have that shifter crap shut off, but I cant seem to find out if it can be removed, Ive been rideing for decades and I guess its just old mans lazy careless auto foot to peg movement that hap[pens to tap the shifter every now and then, but I live in the mountains and honestly there is thousands of ways to start and turn and it seems like it is kinda dangerous that you just touch the shifter when you bring your foot up . any one else have any problems li,e this thanks JB
Doctor T
Bike Model and Year: 2007 R1200RT SE
Has liked: 878 times
Been liked: 230 times
Great Britain

Re: proshift in turns and down I go

Post by Doctor T »

I am sure it can be disconnected and the electrical part shut down via a GS911. The only time i used an auto shifter was on a race bike that i built. For a road bike i wouldnt bother unless your are lazy.
Trust me I am a retired Doctor and lecturer at Oxford University of Structural and Mechanical/Electrical engineering.
sakm
Administrator
Bike Model and Year: 2016 R1200RT
Has liked: 436 times
Been liked: 388 times
Great Britain

Post by sakm »

Just unplug it and see if that works!

Failing that I suspect you would need to take a trip to a BMW dealer to get it disabled as I don't think the GS911 can do it! I don't remember seeing anything on mine when its being plugged in to the bike

I have accidentally changed down before but its never caused an issue. In the right circumstances just a little touch can cause it to down change
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Using the pro shifter is nothing to do with "being lazy". I do not consider myself lazy but quite often use the pro shifter when going up the box, above 2nd gear, just like I used to change up without using the clutch.

You can probably disconnect it, but more so, you should maybe try and keep your toes off the gear change leaver when not changing gear. I can't say i have ever heard of anyone else having this problem :)
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

JBA111 wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 7:36 pmIt seems like it is kinda dangerous that you just touch the shifter when you bring your foot up.
When bringing your foot up, try to put the ball of your foot on the footrest, keeping away from the gear shift lever.

60Aviator
Bike Model and Year: 2017 GSA & 2021 R1250RT
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 11 times
United States of America

Post by 60Aviator »

If you are just "touching" it then that is the problem as something is too sensitive. Both of mine, 17 GSA & 21 RT, require a real/conscious effort to engage system. Never had a problem just doing it old school and not even using Pro shift too.
“I’d rather go down the river with seven studs than with a hundred poopheads” Charlie Beckwith
Doctor T
Bike Model and Year: 2007 R1200RT SE
Has liked: 878 times
Been liked: 230 times
Great Britain

Post by Doctor T »

I rode my cousins R1250rR this morning. His bike is fitted with the Proshift. I found you have to make positive changes as you do on a bike without one fitted. I also found it shifts smoother when in the higher rev range of each gear. Still hasnt converted me on one for normal road use. Maybe am just old school.
Trust me I am a retired Doctor and lecturer at Oxford University of Structural and Mechanical/Electrical engineering.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Well as I said, I quite like it, I have been riding since 1973, so pretty old school myself. The shift works best going up when on positive throttle and no throttle coming down the box. Never use it until in 3rd. Like I said before, I used to change gear without the clutch when I could anyway
Marvin2Shoes
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2011 MOD
Has liked: 76 times
Been liked: 17 times
Australia

Post by Marvin2Shoes »

If the expensive 911 can't change the value required you might try MotoScan app as the Ultimate version (less than €80) has a boatload of options you can change and is much cheaper to own if you have an Android phone. You can find it on eBay.
2011 R1200RT Highly Modified