ACC and Gear Shift Assistance Pro Deactivation???

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Motor32
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT '23
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 11 times
United States of America

ACC and Gear Shift Assistance Pro Deactivation???

Post by Motor32 »

Today while out on my '23 RT with the ACC engaged, as I approached a traffic light and started downshifting without touching the brakes or clutch, the cruise control stayed on and the speed didn't slow down (it just revved the engine higher).

Is this working correctly??? I thought when you use the Gear Shft Assistance Pro it always deactivated the cruise control while downshifting. Any help, thanks.

Steve
Tenequip
Bike Model and Year: 2022 R1250RT
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times
United States of America

Re: ACC and Gear Shift Assistance Pro Deactivation???

Post by Tenequip »

I have a R 1250RT which is a 2022 model and when I disengage the cruise control I turn the throttle forward or hit brake or clutch levers. The throttle was quite stiff turning it forward in CC when the bike was new. It is freeing up now as it gets older. I have never tried shifting down with out using the clutch while in CC, but will try and see what happens, when the snow melts here.
Tenequip
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Found an R1250RT review on Bennetts BikeSocial which says, "differentiating from standard cruise control, ACC allows gear changes without deactivating, pushing the throttle against the stop deactivates it".

When downshifting using gear shift assistance pro, should the throttle be fully closed.
Motor32
United States of America

Post by Motor32 »

Today I got out on both my 2020 RT (no ACC) and my 2023 RT (with ACC).

1 : The 2020 RT, with cruise control activated, downshifting without touching the brakes or clutch, cancels the cruise control, (I personally like this better) and you start to slow down.

2 : The 2023 RT, with the ACC activated, downshifting without touching the brakes or clutch, does NOT cancel the cruise control, and you keep going at the same speed in a lower gear w/more RPM's.

3 : The 2023 RT, with the ACC turned off, and using the regular cruise control, downshifting without touching the brakes or clutch, does NOT cancel the cruise control, and you keep going at the same speed in a lower gear w/more RPM's.

I do like the old way better, for when you come upon a twisty section of road, I would just bang down two gears and lean into the turn. Now I'll have to tap the brakes first, then downshift.

Another thing about the ACC, is that at the farthest setting you're just too close to the car in front (especially if the speed is above 45MPH), here in Arizona the speed limit can go up to 75MPH and it will give you very little time to react yourself, (my two cents). I keep the ACC turned off for this reason, to me it's just too close for comfort.

Steve
sakm
Administrator
Bike Model and Year: 2016 R1200RT
Has liked: 450 times
Been liked: 392 times
Great Britain

Post by sakm »

A lot of cars are going this way with the cruise! our car you can resume the cruise and work your way up the gearbox without it cancelling

Instead of tapping the brakes to switch it off twist the throttle forward will cancel it
Motor32
United States of America

Post by Motor32 »

sakm wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 10:00 pm A lot of cars are going this way with the cruise! our car you can resume the cruise and work your way up the gearbox without it cancelling

Instead of tapping the brakes to switch it off twist the throttle forward will cancel it
Yes, you are correct and I'll just twist the throttle forward before downshifting.

Steve