Foot peg lowering kit for RT

Looking for Aftermarket parts and Accessories for your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT or found something useful you want to share? Or just a general question?
Glenn
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT LE 2018
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 83 times
Great Britain

Re: Foot peg lowering kit for RT

Post by Glenn »

The only emails I get are related to my order.
SimonD
Bike Model and Year: 2010 R1200RT SE
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 28 times
Great Britain

Post by SimonD »

Steve398 wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 12:45 pm I fitted my Amazon-sourced cheapo kit in 2021, with absolutely no problems experienced since. For such a small increase in ‘drop’ the difference in comfort is surprising.
I've just stuck a set of these on mine and am very impressed with the difference. The fact that I had spent the last few hours gardening on a steep slope may have exaggerated the effect but you're right. The seat/peg distance was something that has made me steer clear of RTs until now but this helps a lot.
I need to play around with brake/gear lever positions and it is a bit of a pain that the wider footrest position interferes with where I want to put my leg down when stationary but I'm sure I'll get used to it.
Doctor T
Bike Model and Year: 2007 R1200RT SE
Has liked: 877 times
Been liked: 230 times
Great Britain

Post by Doctor T »

SimonD wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 6:52 pm I've just stuck a set of these on mine and am very impressed with the difference. The fact that I had spent the last few hours gardening on a steep slope may have exaggerated the effect but you're right. The seat/peg distance was something that has made me steer clear of RTs until now but this helps a lot.
I need to play around with brake/gear lever positions and it is a bit of a pain that the wider footrest position interferes with where I want to put my leg down when stationary but I'm sure I'll get used to it.
That is the only negative bit. I did find them in the way at first but soon got used to it
Trust me I am a retired Doctor and lecturer at Oxford University of Structural and Mechanical/Electrical engineering.
burridge01
Bike Model and Year: Modified "16" R1200RT
Been liked: 190 times
Great Britain

Post by burridge01 »

Steve398 wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 12:45 pm I fitted my Amazon-sourced cheapo kit in 2021, with absolutely no problems experienced since. For such a small increase in ‘drop’ the difference in comfort is surprising.
Steve,how are you finding the feet down with your bike.As you know I have them fitted but due to me accident I've still not ridden the bike since fitting(bloody sad I've had the bike 3 years and only put 200 odd miles on it)The bikes a tad older then ours seem to have a small issue,do you find it different.
Steve398
Bike Model and Year: R1200RTLC, 2018
Has liked: 261 times
Been liked: 217 times
Isle of Wight

Post by Steve398 »

I think it’s like anything that you change on the bike, initially it feels a bit different but you quickly get used to it, so it feels completely natural now.
Jggpossum
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2023
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 11 times
Australia

Post by Jggpossum »

I also recently ordered and received the full kit from Ali Express for about A$70. I note that here in Oz the Wunderlich kit, from which the Ali Kit looks like it is a straight Chinese rip off from, costs over A$400.

The Wundelich America installation video on YouTube covered everything I needed to know except I don't think it covered all the necessary torques.

Anyway the bolts that reposition the master cylinder plate are torqued to 8Nm for the two that attach to the Master Cylinder and 6Nm for the two that have nuts and attach the plate to the frame (8Nm for both is fine). The T47 bolt that you have to undo to remove the cover that holds the footpeg so you can get to the master cylinder is 45-50 Nm (I think it is an M10 CL 8.8 Bolt).

The install was easy except for finding a T47 Socket head which is an odd size not in my toolbox. Found one at an auto shop along with a 150mm extension to access the bolt from the other side of the bike across the top of the exhaust.

The adjustment of the footbrake pedal provided by the new plate was for me ideal, otherwise the brake pedal was just a wee too high without it.

I didn't have to adjust the gearshift down by much as the standard position was too low to start with.

Yes the reattaching of the springs at the bottom of the footpeg pins is not easy and took several attempts.

Also NOTE that with the kit I received, the larger of the two grub screws that hold the new casting firmly against the old was too long. Either that or they didn't drill the recess hole in the casting deep enough for it to be screwed in flush with the face. When tightly screwed in it was still protruding about 5mm so I had to file the outer end down by about 4mm otherwise I couldn't get the casting and footpeg holes to line up for the pin. No big deal and got it to fit and then was able to tighten up the two grub screws to lock the new casting tightly in place.

The new riding position is an 80% improvement for me at 190cm tall.

I have used this Ali Express stuff before and its quality is very good and I have never had a part not fit or break.
Doctor T
Bike Model and Year: 2007 R1200RT SE
Has liked: 877 times
Been liked: 230 times
Great Britain

Post by Doctor T »

I had fo file the grub screw a little to fit as well
Trust me I am a retired Doctor and lecturer at Oxford University of Structural and Mechanical/Electrical engineering.
Jggpossum
Australia

Post by Jggpossum »

Ditto with the foot pegs protruding so far out my legs rub on them when I put my feet on the ground. Not so much an issue at standstill but if I try and walk the bike a bit while seated it is annoying.
Panman40
Has liked: 257 times
Been liked: 33 times
Great Britain

Post by Panman40 »

After a few more rides recently even with the seat in high position I could do with more legroom, trouble is I’m guessing with these there won’t be enough adjustment in the brake and gear levers to get a decent position back ?, I’m pretty fussy with lever positions :lol:
Steve398
Isle of Wight

Post by Steve398 »

There is a plate with the lowering kit that drops the foot brake lever a certain amount lower, the gear change lever is adjustable depending on how you need it.

However, if you have a side stand foot accessory then you may find it fouls the gear lever after adjustment.
Last edited by Steve398 on Tue May 23, 2023 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jggpossum
Australia

Post by Jggpossum »

I used the brake lever lowering plate and it repositioned the brake lever very nicely about 10mm lower. With the foot peg being about 25mm lower it changed the relative positions of peg and lever to be perfect for me.

On the gear lever side I tried lowering the lever about 12mm at the tip. When I went for a test ride I found it almost impossible to select 1st gear. Had to adjust the lever back up about 5mm and was then fine. The position is still very good as the original position of the gear lever with the original foot peg position was WAY too low anyway and I had struggled to get my toe under the tip. Now real easy.
Steve398
Isle of Wight

Post by Steve398 »

There’s a Wunderlich set on sale on UKGSER for £80 posted against £199 new… how do they come up with a silly RRP like that?
Jggpossum
Australia

Post by Jggpossum »

Wunderlich prices in general are in my view stratographic.

The same full kit from Ali express is about 20 Euro.

Another example is the aluminium strip windscreen mounting bracket for gopro camera. Wunderlich want A$240 and Ali Express $12. Both are quality products.
Panman40
Has liked: 257 times
Been liked: 33 times
Great Britain

Post by Panman40 »

Thanks folks, do the Amazon or Ali express ones come with the brake lever lowering plate ?.
Glenn
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT LE 2018
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 83 times
Great Britain

Post by Glenn »

The one I had for my 1250 did before I misplaced it