General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Excellence
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2021
Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 29 times
Great Britain

Re: GS-911 Advice please

Post by Excellence »

I'm going to have a look at that site too. I intended to do a first scan today with the 911 but then storm Otto decided to uproot another load of trees and destroy our mains power supply again! I'll try again tomorrow - for interest I'll post what problems it finds on a bike that's running like a dream.
Excellence
Great Britain

Post by Excellence »

Finally got to grips properly with the 911!
Pure dead brilliant!!
Cycled all functions, reset all adaptation values, quick shift and transmission reset, throttle valves calibrated. Riding much better and gear changes are transformed up and down - love it. The unit even got rid of a dreaded exhaust flap fault!
I highly recommend anyone thinking about acquiring a HEX unit - just do it.
Panman40
Has liked: 257 times
Been liked: 33 times
Great Britain

Post by Panman40 »

Excellence wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 6:13 pm Finally got to grips properly with the 911!
Pure dead brilliant!!
Cycled all functions, reset all adaptation values, quick shift and transmission reset, throttle valves calibrated. Riding much better and gear changes are transformed up and down - love it. The unit even got rid of a dreaded exhaust flap fault!
I highly recommend anyone thinking about acquiring a HEX unit - just do it.
Good stuff!, after the TB reset did you run the engine until the fans came on ?.

Also after the gear shift reset were you able to go up through the box from 1st to 6th uninhibited?.
Excellence
Great Britain

Post by Excellence »

If by TB you mean the transmission - yes the fan came on as per the on screen instructions and that was it reset - though I did let him run a good bit after it started to blow.
No, as he went through the gears the gear indicator flashed while learning new voltages and the QS wouldn't operate until all six had been re-learned. It did seem at one stage on the check ride that the QS was being a bit picky and only working smoothly once the upshift symbol lit but that settled fairly quickly and it relaxed so that it started operating a bit more flexibly. The improvement in smoothness of QS operation was worthy of remark from that point on.
sakm
Administrator
Bike Model and Year: 2016 R1200RT
Has liked: 436 times
Been liked: 388 times
Great Britain

Post by sakm »

Panman40 wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 9:53 pm
Also after the gear shift reset were you able to go up through the box from 1st to 6th uninhibited?.
There is instructions out there saying that you must go through each gear in sequence up and down the box for 10 seconds each gear.

These instructions aren't true! You can just go for a ride and the gear indicator will flash until that gear is learnt and no need to do each gear in order and all at the same time either :)
Panman40
Great Britain

Post by Panman40 »

Excellence wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 10:27 pm If by TB you mean the transmission - yes the fan came on as per the on screen instructions and that was it reset - though I did let him run a good bit after it started to blow.
No, as he went through the gears the gear indicator flashed while learning new voltages and the QS wouldn't operate until all six had been re-learned. It did seem at one stage on the check ride that the QS was being a bit picky and only working smoothly once the upshift symbol lit but that settled fairly quickly and it relaxed so that it started operating a bit more flexibly. The improvement in smoothness of QS operation was worthy of remark from that point on.
No I meant the Throttle Body adaptation reset, yes I ran mine until the fan came on then went off as per what you did.
I also noticed the same thing regarding the shift assist, I’m going to do it again sometime out on a quiet main road so I can set off and go up through the gears more precisely from 1st to 6th. I expect the battery can cope with doing that one task without a charger!.
Panman40
Great Britain

Post by Panman40 »

sakm wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 11:15 pm There is instructions out there saying that you must go through each gear in sequence up and down the box for 10 seconds each gear.

These instructions aren't true! You can just go for a ride and the gear indicator will flash until that gear is learnt and no need to do each gear in order and all at the same time either :)
Yes I had read the same thing but as you say just whenever you can hook the next gear does the job, but just to be sure I’m going to redo it as per my post above sometime :lol:
Panman40
Great Britain

Post by Panman40 »

Excellence wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 10:27 pm If by TB you mean the transmission - yes the fan came on as per the on screen instructions and that was it reset - though I did let him run a good bit after it started to blow.
Did you reset the DTC/ASC and if so were there any specific instructions to carry out afterwards ?.
Excellence
Great Britain

Post by Excellence »

I didn't notice anything at all to do with ASC. I would imagine that's something with such a tightly defined set of parameters that to fool around with it might well not be advisable. As to DTC, I think there was a device function relating to it but I'd be lying if I said "definitely yes". If there was then no, I certainly didn't see any follow up instructions.
Panman40
Great Britain

Post by Panman40 »

Excellence wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 7:00 pm I didn't notice anything at all to do with ASC. I would imagine that's something with such a tightly defined set of parameters that to fool around with it might well not be advisable. As to DTC, I think there was a device function relating to it but I'd be lying if I said "definitely yes". If there was then no, I certainly didn't see any follow up instructions.
Ok thanks, I’m pretty sure the option was DTC/ASC in one, maybe I clicked on it and read something I didn’t understand then bottled it!. I’ll have another look and screenshot it next time I plug in.