Are tomtom mounts interchangeable?

Having problems with the BMW Navigator V VI or the TFT display?
Windy
Bike Model and Year: 2005 R1200rt
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 6 times
Great Britain

Are tomtom mounts interchangeable?

Post by Windy »

I've just picked up my new (to me) Rt100rt. The previous owner used a Tomtom rider 400 and has left the mount. Its the one with the magnetic ring and the power in the middle. Or at least that's how it looks. I've never owned a Tomtom nav. My question is, will a new Rider 550 work on this mount? Cheers
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Re: Are tomtom mounts interchangeable?

Post by David. »

Windy wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 9:09 amMy question is, will a new Rider 550 work on this mount.
This is from the Tom Tom website, Motorcycle Mount https://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/navigation ... cle-mount/

Compatible Products Rider 410 Premium Pack, Rider 450 Premium Pack, Rider 500, Rider 550, Rider 550 Premium Pack, ­Rider 40, ­Rider 400, ­Rider 400 Premium Pack, ­Rider 410, ­Rider 42, ­Rider 420, ­Rider 450.

Rider 550, https://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/navigation ... 550/#4inch

Windy
Great Britain

Post by Windy »

David. wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 9:31 am This is from the Tom Tom website, Motorcycle Mount https://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/navigation ... cle-mount/

Compatible Products Rider 410 Premium Pack, Rider 450 Premium Pack, Rider 500, Rider 550, Rider 550 Premium Pack, ­Rider 40, ­Rider 400, ­Rider 400 Premium Pack, ­Rider 410, ­Rider 42, ­Rider 420, ­Rider 450.

Rider 550, https://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/navigation ... 550/#4inch

Nice one. Thank you. Have you got one? If so is it pretty secure? The guy I got the bike off had fashioned an extra bracket for it. I'm hoping to avoid that!!
burridge01
Bike Model and Year: Modified "16" R1200RT
Been liked: 192 times
Great Britain

Post by burridge01 »

Use the 550 and yes,the holder is very secure.Has the previous owner installed the anti theft set up?Stick a photo up.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Windy wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 9:46 amHave you got one. If so is it pretty secure.
No, I've got a Garmin Zumo 660 and in 12 years, it hasn't fallen off once.
Windy
Great Britain

Post by Windy »

David. wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 10:09 am No, I've got a Garmin Zumo 660 and in 12 years, it hasn't fallen off once.
I'm usually a Garmin man but as theres a tomtom mount wired in I thought I might give Tomtom a go. I may live to regret it! lol
Doctor T
Bike Model and Year: 2007 R1200RT SE
Has liked: 878 times
Been liked: 230 times
Great Britain

Post by Doctor T »

I've got a wired in TOM TOM mount. Turns off about 12 minutes after i switch the bike off. I never could get on with Garmin, and MRs. T Mini had Garmin and she said i gave way too much information that was not needed. Her New car came with Tom Tom. She finds it much easier to use.
I use a TT 550 on the bike and have found it great. Only 2 problems have popped out. 1. Drops of rain would change the screen. I sorted this by fitting a quality screen protector. 2, TT mystery routes. Rarely it will send you in a circle for no reason. With updates, this has stopped but every now and then i will be riding along the road when i will tell me to turn right into a layby. Only then to be told to rejoin the road. Common sense sorts this out.
I always carry a map of the country being in. They Beat TT and Garmin any day.
Trust me I am a retired Doctor and lecturer at Oxford University of Structural and Mechanical/Electrical engineering.
Windy
Great Britain

Post by Windy »

Cheers @Doctor T This really helps with the decision. I think I may well give it a go. Seems the logical thing to do. :thumb:
sakm
Administrator
Bike Model and Year: 2016 R1200RT
Has liked: 436 times
Been liked: 388 times
Great Britain

Post by sakm »

I had one of the first tomtom riders and I must say the routing was better than the Garmin zumo I have now!

I haven't compared it to the latest rider although I am very tempted I just can't justify buying another sat nav
Doctor T
Great Britain

Post by Doctor T »

For years i had a mix of TT and Garmin satnavs. They were all car units. and worked well but needed silicon sealing and fitting into a bag. The only way to mount them was by an X claw Ram mount. I was amazed that the vibration didn't kill them. I still have them for back up if ever needed. The Rider 550 is my first dedicated bike unit. One reason i didn't mention why i choose the TT was i found the Garmins kept updating routes as riding along and even with the shortest route chosen, it would take me around the houses. Fastest did the same.
One thing i will recommend for any Satnav on a bike is a sun visor. Very cheap on eBay, a God send on sunny days.
Trust me I am a retired Doctor and lecturer at Oxford University of Structural and Mechanical/Electrical engineering.
Windy
Great Britain

Post by Windy »

One thing i will recommend for any Satnav on a bike is a sun visor. Very cheap on eBay, a God send on sunny days.
[/quote]

Funnily enough my next question was is a sun visor worth it! lol. Thank you again!!
Steve398
Bike Model and Year: R1200RTLC, 2018
Has liked: 261 times
Been liked: 218 times
Isle of Wight

Post by Steve398 »

I’ve had Tomtoms on bikes and cars for over 15 years, but when I bought my current RTLC it came with a Garmin 5, so I gave it a try.

I persevered with the Garmin for several months before selling it as it was driving me nuts, I just couldn’t get on with it at all, and hated Basecamp.

So I immediately returned to a Tomtom 550, so much more simple and logical, although I preferred the previous OS which allowed you to add your own POI.

The mount on the 400/550 series really does lock the device in rock solid.
exportman
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2023
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 40 times
Great Britain

Post by exportman »

Hu

I have both the 450 and the 550 the mount is exactly the same I have used the same mounting for a number of years ( at least 6) and no problems

I ride with a group and there is a mix of Sat navs amongst us the ones with Garmin's seem to get the most frustrated. Some are now depending on the BMW app but that is a little flaky still another popular app is the MyRouteApp I think its called navigator, Personally I would rather have a dedicated device. I do have the TFT running with the BMW app but last of some features and its dependability. ( Last weekend I stopped for a chat it had been working fine until that point then it did not connect again when I restarted the bike I had literally turn the bike off had a chat then turned the bike on again and it did not connect, I dont wish to spend 10 mins messing about waiting for it to start working again.
Tony Fyson
Great Britain

Post by Tony Fyson »

RiDE magazine ran a comparison test between TomTom and Garmin sat navs. They concluded that Tom Tom is the better sat nav.
I bought the Rider 550 sat nav, and it fits neatly into the sat nav location.
Doctor T
Great Britain

Post by Doctor T »

Overall i never believe what you read in the motoring press but in my view, TOM TOM rider is the better unit