Newbie reporting in!

New to the forum? Please introduce yourself here.
Scrumpymanjack
Has liked: 10 times
Great Britain

Newbie reporting in!

Post by Scrumpymanjack »

Hi all,

Looks like a great forum. Thanks very much for the excellent content. I've been riding only about a year but I'm already looking to "upgrade" from my Honda NT700. Despite (or perhaps because of) its reputation as being super dull, the Deauville has served me very well as my first big bike, and I love it in so many ways...but I'm also looking for something more.

I guess my main question for all of you is whether an R1200RT would be too much too soon. How would it feel after the NT700 - overwhelming or a logical step up? And do you have any advice in terms of what model I should be looking at? I was thinking of the 2014-19 (third generation, I think). This thinking based on getting a modern-enough bike but without breaking the bank. But again, I don't really have a clue so very interested to hear your thoughts.

Thanks very much in advance.
sakm
Administrator
Bike Model and Year: 2016 R1200RT
Has liked: 435 times
Been liked: 388 times
Great Britain

Re: Newbie reporting in!

Post by sakm »

Hi and welcome to the forum.

I have been around forums for a lot of years and this sort of questions comes up a lot

To answer whether its too much well the answer is from me that the throttle works both ways and its you that controls that. A big bike can be ridden slow and a slow bike can be ridden fast its 6 and two 3's really.

If you can control yourself and take it steady and learn the bike then why not get the one you want

I can't compare the two bikes as I haven't had the NT but if I was you I would go and sit on a RT and see how it feels
burridge01
Bike Model and Year: Modified "16" R1200RT
Been liked: 192 times
Great Britain

Post by burridge01 »

Hi chap,get yaself down a showroom.Have a good look at a used RT then take it out on a test ride. Best way to do it and it's cost you nothing to find the answer you're looking for.Remember there's a lot you can change/alter to suit your riding style when/if you do take the plunge.
Good luck :thumb:
Glacial
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT, 2011
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 8 times
Great Britain

Post by Glacial »

I once had a 650 Deauville and I now have a 2011 RT. My view is that it is not much of a jump between the two and the change is all positive. The weight is similar, the seat height almost the same but the extra power of the RT makes riding easier because you can actually overtake when you need to instead of planning every overtake like a military campaign on the Deauville. The RT has a low centre of gravity which makes direction changes straightforward.

Find a dealer with one you can test ride and set about it with confidence and not timidity, you will soon adjust and enjoy the ride.

The other thing I would recommend is an advanced training course. I did the police BikeSafe course and it transformed my riding (and I did that course on the Deauville ).
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Glacial wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 8:55 amThe other thing I would recommend is an advanced training course. I did the police BikeSafe course and it transformed my riding (and I did that course on the Deauville).
I would agree with this. I know someone who "upgraded" from a Deauville to an R1200GS. I believe this was after doing some post test training with the local IAM group.
BoB21
Has liked: 32 times
Been liked: 34 times
Great Britain

Post by BoB21 »

Depends on your experience. Further training good idea. Went from nt700 to 2017 rt but im experienced rider. More power but also better suspension and brakes. Not to dissimilar to nt700 so logical step up.
Doctor T
Bike Model and Year: 2007 R1200RT SE
Has liked: 878 times
Been liked: 230 times
Great Britain

Post by Doctor T »

Welcome to our site. What i love about the Boxer engines is the character. Can never call it a dull bike
Trust me I am a retired Doctor and lecturer at Oxford University of Structural and Mechanical/Electrical engineering.
simbo
Bike Model and Year: RT 2011
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 96 times
Great Britain

Post by simbo »

Welcome, Just buy the bike! go for a 17 plate onwards if possible. :thumb:
The GS 'is' the better bike :-)
Scrumpymanjack
Great Britain

Post by Scrumpymanjack »

simbo wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 6:51 pm Welcome, Just buy the bike! go for a 17 plate onwards if possible. :thumb:
Thanks for this. Why do you say buy a '17 onwards? I thought the newer one ran from 2014 to 2019 so is there anything special about 2017 as a year compared with, say, a 2015?

And on that note, I was actually looking at the 2010-2013 models - partly because they are cheaper but also because they are a lot lighter (20 percent lighter, according to MCN review!). Could anyone offer some thoughts on this, please? Am I really getting a much better motorcycle if I buy one from 2014 on?

Thanks in advance.
Scrumpymanjack
Great Britain

Post by Scrumpymanjack »

Hi all,

Just to say a big thank you for the welcome and for the advice offered so far. Extremely grateful for your thoughts.
Scrumpymanjack
Great Britain

Post by Scrumpymanjack »

Glacial wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 8:55 am I once had a 650 Deauville and I now have a 2011 RT. My view is that it is not much of a jump between the two and the change is all positive. The weight is similar, the seat height almost the same but the extra power of the RT makes riding easier because you can actually overtake when you need to instead of planning every overtake like a military campaign on the Deauville. The RT has a low centre of gravity which makes direction changes straightforward.

Find a dealer with one you can test ride and set about it with confidence and not timidity, you will soon adjust and enjoy the ride.

The other thing I would recommend is an advanced training course. I did the police BikeSafe course and it transformed my riding (and I did that course on the Deauville ).
Thanks very much for all of this advice. Makes a lot of sense. I'm a new rider but I'm no longer intimidated by big bikes so I would definitely be riding with confidence (thought not too much!). As for advanced training, that's exactly what I'm planning on doing. Thanks very much.
Steve398
Bike Model and Year: R1200RTLC, 2018
Has liked: 261 times
Been liked: 217 times
Isle of Wight

Post by Steve398 »

Have a look on here for a general description of the RT, it also gives the various years and particularly the 2017 modification. I have a 2018 and love it.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_R1200RT
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Scrumpymanjack wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 7:54 pmI was actually looking at the 2010-2013 models, partly because they are cheaper but also because they are a lot lighter (20 percent lighter, according to MCN review). Could anyone offer some thoughts on this.
As per the Rider's Manuals, the 2014 Wethead is 11 kg heavier than the 2010-13 Camhead.
Scrumpymanjack wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 7:54 pmAm I really getting a much better motorcycle if I buy one from 2014 on.
That is personal opinion, what would your criteria be for one bike being better than the other.

This poll, viewtopic.php?p=65367&hilit=poll#p65367 suggests that the 2014 Wethead is the most popular amongst those who have voted.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Scrumpymanjack wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 7:54 pmAm I really getting a much better motorcycle if I buy one from 2014 on.
This is what Bennetts, BikeSocial have to say, https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocial/r ... yers-guide

"While the new partially water-cooled R1200RT is certainly a better machine and far more refined with a better array of electronic assists, you can’t write off the older air-cooled bike and if you are after a bike to take a pillion away for touring holidays, they are a brilliant, and very reliable, used buy."

Bennetts, BikeSocial R 1200 RT (2014) - First Ride, https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocial/r ... -r1200rt-/
Scrumpymanjack
Great Britain

Post by Scrumpymanjack »

David. wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:27 am As per the Rider's Manuals, the 2014 Wethead is 11 kg heavier than the 2010-13 Camhead.

Thanks. 11kg sounds a lot more reasonable (and accurate!). MCN claims that the 2010-2013 is 505 lbs, and that the 2014-2019 is 604 lbs.

That is personal opinion, what would your criteria be for one bike being better than the other.

This poll, viewtopic.php?p=65367&hilit=poll#p65367 suggests that the 2014 Wethead is the most popular amongst those who have voted.
Again, thanks for this. Really helps build some information. I'm test riding a 2017 on Monday.