Newbie reporting in!

New to the forum? Please introduce yourself here.
Scrumpymanjack
Has liked: 10 times
Great Britain

Re: Newbie reporting in!

Post by Scrumpymanjack »

Steve398 wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:01 pm Have a look on here for a general description of the RT, it also gives the various years and particularly the 2017 modification. I have a 2018 and love it.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_R1200RT
Noted. Thanks. Am test riding a 2017 on Monday. First time on an R1200RT of any description. Can't wait.
Scrumpymanjack
Great Britain

Post by Scrumpymanjack »

So....just tested out a 2017 R1200RT. First off, I'd like to thank my NT700 for preparing the ground. It's such a great - and unsung - bike, and it has helped me handle weight and to feel confident with it. Now on to the main attraction....

I suppose my biggest takeaway, unsurprisingly, is the power. Oh, the power! Doesn't seem to matter how fast you're going or what gear you're in, it just pulls away when you want it to. That's a first for me, and I love it. It also does all of the above effortlessly and gracefully.

Speaking of which, it's a very easy bike to ride. I don't have a lot of experience with big bikes, and I consider myself very much a learner (though one who's learning quickly and gaining lots of experience). But it was a doddle jumping on the R1200RT and riding off. The only thing that surprised me was how clunky getting into that first gear is (apparently, this is the same across all big bikes) as well as having to give it more revs than I'm used to when pulling off.

The handling is sublime, just glides around corners and is so solid on the road.

I didn't like the plasticky feel of the dash, which rattled quite a bit when I went on less-than-stellar paved roads. That surprised me but it's not a deal breaker. Still, I wish it didn't do that.

Anyway, I'm sure all you guys don't need to hear this from a newbie but I did love it overall. It didn't feel unduly heavy, handled beautifully and was ridiculously comfortable. The one I'm looking at is in the low 30s on mileage, which I'm assuming is fine. Is it? Finally, it's in great nick. Oh, and it's the LE version.
Thanks for all your help and guidance. I think I'll soon be joining the ranks of R1200RT owners.
1TITEMOTO
Bike Model and Year: 2019 BMW R1250RT
Been liked: 2 times
United States of America

Post by 1TITEMOTO »

Greetings All,

New to the forum. Approximately 2.5 months ago, I had a right hip replacement. Now, I'm back up in riding after several years. Glad to be a part of the community, hailing from Southern, CA.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Scrumpymanjack wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 7:49 pmThe only thing that surprised me was how clunky getting into that first gear is (apparently, this is the same across all big bikes).
My 2012 Camhead isn't clunky into first gear.
Scrumpymanjack
Great Britain

Post by Scrumpymanjack »

David. wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:24 am My 2012 Camhead isn't clunky into first gear.
Hmmm. I don't know enough about bikes to process that. I should test ride a couple more, me thinks.
Doctor T
Bike Model and Year: 2007 R1200RT SE
Has liked: 878 times
Been liked: 230 times
Great Britain

Post by Doctor T »

Most bikes clunk engaging first gear. Jap bikes are a little better. All my boxer engined bikes ive owned including my current 07 clunks in first. This is one of the characteristics of a Boxer gearbox.
Trust me I am a retired Doctor and lecturer at Oxford University of Structural and Mechanical/Electrical engineering.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Scrumpymanjack wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 2:51 pmI don't know enough about bikes to process that. I should test ride a couple more, me thinks.
Try a 2010-13 Camhead and see what you think. They have a different clutch and gearbox arrangement to that of the 2014+ Wethead.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Doctor T wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 3:14 pmAll my boxer engined bikes I've owned including my current 07 clunks in first. This is one of the characteristics of a Boxer gearbox.
Not my 2012 Camhead.
Last edited by David. on Wed Mar 22, 2023 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doctor T
Bike Model and Year: 2007 R1200RT SE
Has liked: 878 times
Been liked: 230 times
Great Britain

Post by Doctor T »

I like the clunk. It reminds me i am riding a classic. New bikes seem too sterile to me
Trust me I am a retired Doctor and lecturer at Oxford University of Structural and Mechanical/Electrical engineering.
Steve398
Bike Model and Year: R1200RTLC, 2018
Has liked: 261 times
Been liked: 217 times
Isle of Wight

Post by Steve398 »

The Honda ST13 clunked into 1st as well.