Hi-Viz vests

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
Doctor T
Bike Model and Year: 2007 R1200RT SE
Has liked: 878 times
Been liked: 230 times
Great Britain

Re: Hi-Viz vests

Post by Doctor T »

OK, after all these years of not wearing one you've convinced me, I've bought a vest. One question. On long trips, i fit a large(52ltr) aftermarket top box, so people behind will not see it anyway but Will it make me stand out more in car mirrors?.
Trust me I am a retired Doctor and lecturer at Oxford University of Structural and Mechanical/Electrical engineering.
Steve398
Bike Model and Year: R1200RTLC, 2018
Has liked: 261 times
Been liked: 218 times
Isle of Wight

Post by Steve398 »

At the risk of sounding cynical; You can only do your best to make yourself as visible as possible, but never under estimate the abject stupidity and lack of attention in other road users.
If wearing a high-viz increases your presence on the road to one person more in fifty you’ve won, and if you do get taken out the fact you’re conforming to the Highway code will lend weight to your insurance claim.
To answer your question - yes, as long as they look in their mirrors. Ensure you position yourself correctly so they can see you, definitely not square in the middle of their boot! You can sit to the O/S and present a real presence whilst being safer. Positioning for safety is everything.
Here endeth the first lesson! 🤣
Elkinell
Bike Model and Year: 2020 R1250RT
Has liked: 85 times
Been liked: 43 times
Great Britain

Post by Elkinell »

I'm in the middle of clearing out my dads garage and i've found an orange Hi-Vis that he had been issued with at some time. It's the short pull apart type with press studs on the shoulders so you can get out of it if trapped. I might give it a try.
Doctor T
Great Britain

Post by Doctor T »

Sounds like a old railway type
Trust me I am a retired Doctor and lecturer at Oxford University of Structural and Mechanical/Electrical engineering.
Elkinell
Great Britain

Post by Elkinell »

Doctor T wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 2:49 pm Sounds like a old railway type
Yeah that was my first thought too, he worked on a lot of tunneling jobs in his lifetime and I'm finding ALL sorts of strange stuff he "brought home" when these jobs finished.... ;)
Doctor T
Great Britain

Post by Doctor T »

I did a lot of digging in old boxes when my Dad died. It's like searching the past
Elkinell
Great Britain

Post by Elkinell »

Doctor T wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 7:03 pm I did a lot of digging in old boxes when my Dad died. It's like searching the past
Indeed. There's also money not accounted for so I'm having to look in every box, open every bag etc :shock:
audibob2
Bike Model and Year: 2015 R1200rt
Been liked: 14 times
Great Britain

Post by audibob2 »

I have worn a yellow high viz jacket and a yellow helmet for years now.

Do I think it makes any difference? . not sure, though an ability to "read the body language " of those around you helps.

I find the most dangerous time is "going home" time, people take a few miles to get into their normal driving mode.

Definately better filtering experience wearing the day glo gear with the halo lights on, like moses parting the sea..

Also great fun setting the cruise to 70mph, and see how long it takes car drivers to pass me. ( and then curse me ).
Glenn
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT LE 2018
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 83 times
Great Britain

Post by Glenn »

I did a Biker Down course last month, the police officers there said hi-viz clothing was a waste of time, they still get cars/bikes pulling out in front of them even with blue lights and sirens on.
sakm
Administrator
Bike Model and Year: 2016 R1200RT
Has liked: 436 times
Been liked: 388 times
Great Britain

Post by sakm »

I used to drive buses! And what shocked me was the amount of people that used to say that they never saw a double decker bus!

Decent lights and defencive riding is the way to go in my opinion
Steve398
Bike Model and Year: R1200RTLC, 2018
Has liked: 261 times
Been liked: 218 times
Isle of Wight

Post by Steve398 »

Glenn wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 9:07 am I did a Biker Down course last month, the police officers there said hi-viz clothing was a waste of time, they still get cars/bikes pulling out in front of them even with blue lights and sirens on.
So many things that Bobbies say are throwaway comments, do they really suggest that Hi-Vis plays no part whatsoever on road safety... I doubt it. I would suggest that it was meant to indicate to you that Hi-Viz is not the complete answer.

Having many times done traffic duty at night at the scene of an RTC, that's waving your arms directing traffic, there's no way in hell I'd be doing it without Hi-Viz with reflective strips because it's a life saver, otherwise you wouldn't last 2 minutes on an unlit road.

Observation, planning, and positioning will play the major part in avoiding an incident together with good lighting, and of course making yourself as visible as possible which is where Hi-Viz comes in, but it's not the silver bullet.

And I agree completely with the Officers comments re emergency calls… one of the more memorable was when I’d just been issued a new bike with a flashing headlight option, so off I went on my first shout with the wailers, LED blues, and flashing headlight on. As I approached a sharp right hand bend with a left hand junction at the apex a little old lady waiting at the Give Way in her Morris Minor waived her hand in thanks and pulled right out in front of me. I missed her, just, but I never used the flashing headlight ever again.
Last edited by Steve398 on Sat Oct 14, 2023 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doctor T
Great Britain

Post by Doctor T »

Am still not convinced about wearing HI-ViZ in the daytime. Why do Bus drivers wear Hi-Viz whilst driving a Bus? Driving any vehicle with a large windscreen at night must be a nightmere with the refletion.
Capt Sisko
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT LE - '18
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 54 times
Great Britain

Post by Capt Sisko »

Doctor T wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 3:08 pm Pink well you can make up your own mind.
I went on a Bikers Down course and the Sargent that ran it was advocating pink! And to a certain degree I can see why. Yellow is as common as muck and Orange getting more popular. Pink, well it makes you look which I guess is the point, but as the man said, ^^^^^^^^
Last edited by Capt Sisko on Wed Oct 18, 2023 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ed Harley
Bike Model and Year: 2013 R1200RT
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 50 times
Finland

Post by Ed Harley »

On a big touring bike looking from front I cannot see much of the yellow vest or another type high visibility clothing because of the large fairing. From sides and back they are more visible.

I would not wear a full vest but this type of harness I could consider. Especially the pink. :mrgreen:

1983 GS1000G | 1984 GSX1100EF | 1997 FLHR | 2016 FLSTC | Triumph Tiger Explorer 1200 XRT
sakm
Administrator
Bike Model and Year: 2016 R1200RT
Has liked: 436 times
Been liked: 388 times
Great Britain

Post by sakm »

Doctor T wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 4:34 pm Why do Bus drivers wear Hi-Viz whilst driving a Bus?
Because they simply can't be arsed to take it off :lol: