vennie
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2010
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 10 times
Great Britain

Parts

Post by vennie »

Morning folks.
So it seems I will need to replace front and rear brake pads and discs for my 2010 R1200RT.
Seems a bewildering range of suppliers and parts etc to pick from. And I hate anything internet based.

Does anyone know of a UK based company I can contact by phone that believes in good old customer support I can call and get advice about the items and buy over the phone.

Please do share if anyone knows of such a company
Thanks
Di
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Re: Parts

Post by David. »

Try Motorworks on 01484 353600 or EBC on 01604 212140.
In the past, have bought EBC pads from Motorworks for the BMW Camhead, plus pads and discs from EBC for a Yamaha XJ650.

Your local BMW Motorrad dealer should also be able to sell parts over the phone.
Have only bought pads from BMW, didn't like the EBC pads.

Haven't bought any discs for the BMW Camhead.
Doctor T
Bike Model and Year: 2007 R1200RT SE
Has liked: 878 times
Been liked: 230 times
Great Britain

Post by Doctor T »

For years ive only used EBC HH pads. If you want the standard pad fitted by BMW have a look at Brembo
Trust me I am a retired Doctor and lecturer at Oxford University of Structural and Mechanical/Electrical engineering.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Doctor T wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 5:57 pmIf you want the standard pad fitted by BMW have a look at Brembo.
Have you got a UK phone number for Brembo motorcycle parts.
Doctor T
Bike Model and Year: 2007 R1200RT SE
Has liked: 878 times
Been liked: 230 times
Great Britain

Post by Doctor T »

No i just order pads over the net
Trust me I am a retired Doctor and lecturer at Oxford University of Structural and Mechanical/Electrical engineering.
vennie
Great Britain

Post by vennie »

Thanks guys. Will try the numbers you have provided. I did think about going to the motorad dealer in Edinburgh but figured they would want silly money for parts.
Will try the other numbers though

Thanks
Di
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

vennie wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 6:30 pmI did think about going to the Motorrad dealer in Edinburgh but figured they would want silly money for parts.
It's not a bad starting point. Ask them to give you a written quote inc. part #'s. Even if you don't purchased from them, it gives you a cross reference for any aftermarket parts. I always ask for and usually get a 10% discount from the dealers.

IMO, another consideration is, how many miles have the pads and discs done. Genuine parts may last longer than others.
vennie
Great Britain

Post by vennie »

I bought the bike just after its last MOT. Didn’t look too closely at the breakdown. It identified all 3 discs at just legal and pads also just ok to pass mot but recommended that all should be changed before the next mot. Since I got the bike in September last year not been able to put many miles on it over the winter. But plan on the NC500 this July and would like it in good shape for that. Can do the work myself just need the parts.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Out of interest, what mileage has the bike done. Do you think the discs and/or the pads are original.
vennie
Great Britain

Post by vennie »

The mileage is around 52k. I m hopeful that pads have been changed before this. Discs may be original, I’m not sure. Need put a set of very nears on to them myself to check. Last mot said they were at 4.5mm.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Thank you, my Camhead has done over 43K miles on the original discs. I would say that the rear disc is showing signs of wear but not excessive, fronts look ok. The Haynes manual gives disc thickness service limits of front 4.0 mm and rear 4.5 mm. It's also stamped on the discs but my bike is still tucked away to check.

From my records, the front pads were changed prematurely at 23K when the calipers were replaced. So the current set of pads have done 20K and still plenty of meat left on them. Both sets of pads were/are genuine BMW made by Brembo. The rear pads were change for the first time after 36.5K miles.
vennie
Great Britain

Post by vennie »

David. That is interesting. I will check myself with the gauges etc before I buy anything. It’s possible the mot garage may have been let’s say over enthusiastic. The brakes feel fabulous when riding. Bike stops very well even in an emergency stop.
I may change the pads in any case that way I know it’s been done.
Thanks for the info.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

vennie wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 9:55 amI may change the pads in any case that way I know it’s been done.
The Haynes manual gives a minimum brake pad friction material thickness of 1.0 mm for both F&R. This may not sound a lot (which it isn't) but when new, the pads particularly the front only have 3.35 mm of friction material, (as measured).

From new, the rear brake pads are different thicknesses, (part worn in this photo).

The inner (thinner) pad was down to ~2 mm when I changed them.
SimonD
Bike Model and Year: 2010 R1200RT SE
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 28 times
Great Britain

Post by SimonD »

I just replaced rear pads and disc on my (new to me) camhead at 35k miles. The disc was down to 4.15mm. I'll be doing the fronts later in the week. They are making a scraping noise while the bike is being pushed around so I assume that the front pistons will need a good clean (hopefully not replacement).

Having said all that they work fine on the road. I'm just going through everything before doing any long trips.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

May I ask which make of F&R discs and pads did you go for.